Post by Happytobehere »

Check out this great event on the history of Westbank
Attachments
library.jpg
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Re: The history of Westbank

Post by Happytobehere »

Thank you Gordon Ficke for putting together the history of the families who have called Westbank home for more than a century
Bearto

Post by Bearto »

This is a really cool thing to attend to learn the history of the area but I think the title needs to be changed to the history of "West Kelowna" now... As West Kelowna includes many historical events that need to be maintained for prosperity as well... Such as what the parts of the area were called prior to some of the area being called Westbank such as Sunnyside , Powers Flats etc. From my accounts the area has just over 200yrs of it documented in some form..

However should this be just another attempt to re-ignite the "Westbank" saga then IMO, people should pass, that ship has sailed.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

IMHO What Mr. Ficke has put together has nothing to do with the history of West Kelowna. It is a diatribe about individuals who have lived in the area for a long long time and whom did not make a mark on history like those who lived across the lake left with historical meanings around buidlings, houses, parks etc..... It isn't hard to reember the past when you can explore actual historical buildings like the Allison's home built in Sunnyside or the Mission in Kelowma It appears to me that a few people want to be remembered because they lived in the area - not because they bulit or cultured anything of historical value of over 100 years that the public can actually visit or that made a mark on the history of the area like the Gellatly's did with their endeavours to make a mark on the economic or historical value of MacDonald Plain in the Okanagan now know as the District of West Kelowna. Geez.......there are families all over the Province who have lived in an area for well over 200 years who are not asking for recognition.
ebby929

Post by ebby929 »

Westbank is, and always will be, the town I live in. It is my legal address. It is a great opportunity to learn the history of the town you live in. Westbank is the heart of the new DISTRICT of West Kelowna. Westbank is where our history lies. I look forward to attending Mr. Ficke's presentation!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

My family has been in Canada for almost 400 years now. Anyhow, will be interesting to read the book and learn more about Westbank.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

ebby929 wrote: Westbank is where our history lies.

IF Mr. FIcke tells you that Westbank is the heart of where out history lies he will be misrepresenting the history of the District of West Kelowna. Although, there are a few who want the rest of the us to believe that Westbank be the beginning of our district all you need to do is mosing on down to Power Creek, and up the hill on Boucherie stop at the winery and have a look at the home that the MacDougal brothers bulit for the Allison's in Sunnyside back in the 1870's. You know the winery right across the way from Mission Creek on the other side of the lake. Missionaries canoed across the lake to visit with those who still lived in and around McDonald Plain (the fur trading post introduced back in the 1840 and 1850's. And then travel up the old highway toward Shannon Lake and on the right side of the old highway you can still see the foundation of the old school and the home of the first school teacher in the district from way back in the late 1890's. Of course, there is the school and general store from Glenrosa in the 1880's that no one speaks about now because it happened before the west side of the lake had the Shannon Lake School moved down the hill. Now, if that isn't enough information to start you travelling down the historic road that opened up the are to the Gellatly's down by the lake you know by the nut farm there is also the old dock that was bulit to transport grain that won't grow in the Okanagan and that happened in the late 1880's but of course there are some whose memories only retract as far as they can actually remember .... you know if it happened to them it happened in real life......but if it happened before they were born it never happened at all. When I went through the Museum there was more information abour the 1940's and 1950's than anything else that was contributed by the community of Westbank. Heck, Peachland, had electricity and the telephone before the 30's.

If those families who have lived in this area really want to contribute to the District of West Kelowna's history why don't they build something for the District to commerate those long standing families. We don't need to know the history of the families and besides that the history of our District was written about by Mr. Sugar who travelled through it extensively. The community of Westbank is a piece of the puzzle and if that piece goes missing the fur traders will bring everyone up to snuff.
Bearto

Post by Bearto »

By reading the reply's to my comments I am quite sure now this was just another attempt to promote the "cause" so while I support my community and those within it and it's entire history.. its beginnings, its changes, it's highs and lows, it's modernization. I have no time for those that play games like children so I for one will pass on this event.

This topic kind of parallels the topic Quebec and their issues.. Are you guys okay with how their whining affects you out here?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

PS. I wish I could be there.

I hope someone brings a video camera. I would pay for the recording.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”