McCall Lake access from Law Street

ktowncichlids

McCall Lake access from Law Street

Post by ktowncichlids »

Does any peachlanders know 100% if the road access from Law street to McCall lake is private? I know the first part of the gravel road goes through the Olivers property but they are ok with people using the road for lake access on the right hand side past the Olivers there is one other house that has metal drug across the road and has a big chain across the road to, As far as I know from talking to various people in the surrounding community that road cannot be blocked!

I tried to make it into the back side entrance of the lake Via 4x4 but the road turns into a quad path!

Planning on calling regional after the holidays!
watchkat
Übergod

Re: McCall Lake access from Law Street

Post by watchkat »

Just Curious, what did you find out?
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Side by side comparison google vs RDCO official map.

Looks like the accesses to that road to the lake is on private property....

I have never been there... but can you access that road using the public land going around these properties (indicated as the blue lines)?

There's also a sign on the road right in the curve that says "Road closed" click:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=law+stree ... 07,,0,1.35
reaganRemm

Post by reaganRemm »

Hello, I Live at the house AND OWN THE PROPERTY with the metal gate and chain that blocks the way. This is private property and clearly states on 2 signs that the road is closed and has no public access. There is another road to get to McCall lake that does not go through our property. We have owned the property for over 30 years and have graciously allowed people to get through because we realize other ways are difficult. Fisheries has called us and ASKED if they could have access and stock the lake. Again for the good of the community we said yes. Just because we have allowed people through doesn't give anyone the right. Over the past few years we have been bombarded with bikes and quads and trucks (20 vehicles a day some days) and when we stop people to tell them it is private property they are often rude. Signage was constantly ripped down. Someone called the cops and said there was a stolen vehicle in the woods but it was our friends car on OUR property.Last year about this time, someone stole a friend's trailer off our yard and took it to a neighbours and stole their quads and thrashed their cabin leaving it open to animals and mice all winter long. After that, we decided we had had enough. We tried chaining the back and on three occasions someone came up with cutters and cut through the locks and the last time also took our towing chain.The land is not access to the crown land, it is not a fire access it is our back yard and we are tired of people abusing it and us. It is closed permanently.If you really want to have access to the lake the municipality owns a strip of land just before the road closed sign that is intended for access to the crown land. Petition them and leave us alone. My final thought is YOU CAN DRIVE THROUGH MY BACK YARD IF I CAN DRIVE THROUGH YOURS!!!!!!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

reaganRemm wrote:Hello, I Live at the house AND OWN THE PROPERTY with the metal gate and chain that blocks the way. This is private property and clearly states on 2 signs that the road is closed and has no public access. There is another road to get to McCall lake that does not go through our property. We have owned the property for over 30 years and have graciously allowed people to get through because we realize other ways are difficult. Fisheries has called us and ASKED if they could have access and stock the lake. Again for the good of the community we said yes. Just because we have allowed people through doesn't give anyone the right. Over the past few years we have been bombarded with bikes and quads and trucks (20 vehicles a day some days) and when we stop people to tell them it is private property they are often rude. Signage was constantly ripped down. Someone called the cops and said there was a stolen vehicle in the woods but it was our friends car on OUR property.Last year about this time, someone stole a friend's trailer off our yard and took it to a neighbours and stole their quads and thrashed their cabin leaving it open to animals and mice all winter long. After that, we decided we had had enough. We tried chaining the back and on three occasions someone came up with cutters and cut through the locks and the last time also took our towing chain.The land is not access to the crown land, it is not a fire access it is our back yard and we are tired of people abusing it and us. It is closed permanently.If you really want to have access to the lake the municipality owns a strip of land just before the road closed sign that is intended for access to the crown land. Petition them and leave us alone. My final thought is YOU CAN DRIVE THROUGH MY BACK YARD IF I CAN DRIVE THROUGH YOURS!!!!!!

Good luck with the District to build a new road lol

Is their right of way the blue lines I drew on the picture?

As for people using your backyard for the past 30 years... I don't know the law in BC but it might have become a right of way forever... Some provinces are like that... if you allow people to use your yard for a certain amount of time, it becomes everyones right to use it. FOR EVER.

You may want to ask a lawyer as people might have the right to cut your chain and still go through.

I don't know for sure, I don't know how that works in BC.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Before that poster above who now owns that land, it was open to everyone. I went there when there was no gate. And the road followed the edge of the old garbage dump way above it. It was weird to look down on the dump. So the right of way issue should be checked by a lawyer to see if it is open or not. As that chained off road was the public access to McCall and was the only one for years. You can go in at the end of Forest Hills but the road is in terrible shape and only good for ATV use right now. This issue is like the Douglas Lake fiasco where they stopped people from traveling through their ranch from the Peachland end. That was taken to court. There is an update to the lake issue with them. http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2013 ... ccess-case
and this one...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_La ... le_Company and this one
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1250903

Maybe it will have to have someone look into it...
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Dude owns the land - he doesn't want other people on it. THE END.

This is a fundamental right in our society - private property is PRIVATE.

"The previous owner let us do it" and "People have been using it for years" are not valid arguments. In fact it's downright childish. How would you like it if the tables were turned? Maybe the neighbourhood kids will establish a shortcut through your back yard.

Squatting rights do not apply in this case and legal action would fail horribly. He is not causing hardship to anyone by stopping people from crossing his land. They are only crossing for recreational purposes.

Oh and please stop using the term "Public Access". Public access and "Access that the public had been using" are completely different things.
christeldavidsen

Post by christeldavidsen »

Just so you understand there was a gate on the Oliver's property when they first moved there and someone pulled down their gate. There have been signs posted for years that say road closed and private property. Access has not always been granted and the previous owner was a friend of mine and he may of allowed people through before it was subdivided but once we bought it it has ALWAYS had signage saying private property. There is NO case of it becoming a road for use as there are plans to build a building on the road. It is private land and the lawyers and the municipality have both stated that it is not an access road so do me a favour and drop it or I will be compelled to build on it sooner so that there is no more discussion!!!

Return to “Central Okanagan”