Chief Sh*t Disturber

Kudos to these fellas for saving man's life

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... o-save-man
Young men brave icy waters to save man
by Carmen Weld - Central Okanagan - Story: 103030
Nov 19, 2013 / 7:08 pm

Photo: Carmen Weld - Central Okanagan
Devin Routly (left) and Joe Scott the heroes who saved a Glenrosa man from an icy death

A 74-year-old man is recovering today after a harrowing experience in a freezing cold pond in Glenrosa.

The elderly man, who asked not to be named, was in a canoe fixing the aerator in the pond when the canoe tipped over.

The icy pond in Glenrosa.

The immediate chill of the water, which had just lost its overnight ice, left the man breathless. He was 40-feet from shore, hanging on to the canoe for dear life.

His son, Donovan, jumped in to try and save his farther, but the icy water left him immobile long before he could get to his dad.

That’s when his screams of desperation for help were heard by a neighbour, a couple of houses away.

“I was working out behind the shop and I heard him screaming. Donovan was yelling, ‘Help!’, so I dashed across the field,” explains Devin Routly.

Routly’s coworkers, Joe Scott and his father, were close behind, also running to the rescue.

“His dad was way out in the water and Donovan was freaking out,” shares Routly. “So I started stripping down.”

Both Routly and Scott stripped down and took their boots off, grabbing lifejackets before jumping in.

“I took a few swims, but I had to stop halfway because of the freezing water, it froze me up,” says Scott.

But Routly managed to keep swimming and got to the man who was still hanging on to the boat, now having been in the freezing water for over 15-minutes.

“If we had taken even five more minutes he probably would have drowned for sure," said Routly.

The canoe now back on shore

The men say he was death gripped onto the canoe but was giving up.

“That’s why we took life jackets and put it on him because Donovan said his dad had had enough and was letting go,” explains Scott.

“He kept telling me to just let go of the canoe and swim back to shore and we said no way man,” says Routly.

“We were trying everything to keep him hanging on, yelling at him ‘you are going to make it and stuff like that,” shares Scott.

They were able to get the man to safety and he was rushed into his home to warm up. His rescuers used an ATV to get back to their home, where they quickly jumped into hot showers to stave off hypothermia.

“As soon as we got in the house the fire truck arrived,” says Routly.

The elderly man was rushed to hospital, suffering from hypothermia; his family says he is currently doing ‘OK.’

The two heroes of the day were shy about the attention and never thought twice about jumping in the water to save their neighbour.

“It’s pretty gnarly, it’s weird, it’s not really what you expect to do on a Tuesday,” said both men talking over each other.

They say the family of the elderly man is very grateful.

“Donovan is super happy, he thought he was going to lose his dad right there and then,” said a humble Routly

It was below zero, the man was not wearing a life jacket at the time and high winds moved the boat further from shore, almost costing the man his life.

Photo: Google Maps
Glenrosa Pond

Way to go, guys!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Re: Kudos to these fellas for saving man's life

Post by Kalvin K »

Makes me proud! Good on you guys!
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

You gentleman will never truely understand how amazing you are. But others like me will. Happy everyone has their family safe today including you.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

I know these two young men and I am not surprised by their actions at all. They are a couple of really great people who would have your back no matter who you are.

Its people like this that restore my faith in humanity!
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Quick thinking, lion hearts, great citizens.
alishaklassen

Post by alishaklassen »

Now this is a topic I love to read about. What a great story. Glad everyone is ok and so proud of the two guys who stepped up. Way to be!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Good for them as cold water rescues can be so dangerous for the rescuer. Nice story.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Great job guys.............NOW maybe next time someone gets into a canoe or ANY type of boat, they will WEAR their life jackets. It is always a good idea.

Return to “Central Okanagan”