Grocery Store Manager - Bah Humbug!

cubafreak
Board Meister

Re: Grocery Store Manager - Bah Humbug!

Post by cubafreak »

Yes, I have been guilty also of saying that I won't patronize a business and then done so anyway. I have to say that I certainly understand the OP's views,unfortunately there are a lot of "managers" that almost seem to think they are the power and throw out compassion and goodwill
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I have a friend who works at that save on and was there that day. I would like to say that the lady was told she wasn't allowed in the store too do the kettle (that was from the Salvation Army themselves, the whole point of the kettle is for people to realize what the homeless have to deal with during the time of year, it is a privilege to be allowed inside but it does defeat the point of the kettle) and then stood outside complaining to every customer that comes in that she is stuck outside in the cold and isn't allowed in.
hail Satan y'all
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

whatwhat wrote:I have a friend who works at that save on and was there that day. I would like to say that the lady was told she wasn't allowed in the store too do the kettle (that was from the Salvation Army themselves, the whole point of the kettle is for people to realize what the homeless have to deal with during the time of year, it is a privilege to be allowed inside but it does defeat the point of the kettle) and then stood outside complaining to every customer that comes in that she is stuck outside in the cold and isn't allowed in.

Did your friend witness the Manager shouting at the old lady? And, if so, did he/she think it was appropriate for him to do so?
Because, for me, that is the larger issue here.
As for the old lady complaining, well, that is her right. I'd be complaining too if some old scrooge wouldn't let me even stand just inside his doorway when it was really cold.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

whatwhat wrote: complaining to every customer that comes in that she is stuck outside in the cold and isn't allowed in.

If this is true, that is a terrible attitude to have while serving, especially knowing that being outside is part of the deal. I could see the store manager getting upset as he deals with customers coming to him making a plea for the volunteer, I am sure he has more important things to deal with than that.

How about an attitude of gratitude! And be careful what you sign yourself up for!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

from what i heard from other staff members was that he didn't yell. i'm sure what a by-passer witnessed between the manager and the volunteer would have looked quite rude. but like i said before, the whole point of the salvation army kettle is to gather donations while experiencing what the homeless have to deal with this time of year. volunteers are not guaranteed to be able to be allowed in to businesses. she was told when she got there that she wasn't allowed. then continued to slander the store, and the store manager to other customers coming in until someone finally brought her in. if someone can't follow the rules of not only the salvation army (which they told the store to have the volunteers do the kettle outside), or the store they are placed they shouldn't be doing the salvation army kettle.
hail Satan y'all
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

whatwhat wrote:I have a friend who works at that save on and was there that day. I would like to say that the lady was told she wasn't allowed in the store too do the kettle (that was from the Salvation Army themselves, the whole point of the kettle is for people to realize what the homeless have to deal with during the time of year, it is a privilege to be allowed inside but it does defeat the point of the kettle) and then stood outside complaining to every customer that comes in that she is stuck outside in the cold and isn't allowed in.

Nonsense. The whole point of the kettle is to solicit donation funds.
I see many peeps manning a SA kettle indoors. There were 2 at one wallywerld today, both indoors.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Merry wrote:As for the old lady complaining, well, that is her right. I'd be complaining too if some old scrooge wouldn't let me even stand just inside his doorway when it was really cold.

Im pretty much done with being tagged for money every time I turn around. Clerks asking if I'd like to donate two dollars for skinny kids, leaving retail stores and peeps want me to make a donation for fat kids, peeps calling all my phones wanting money for no kids, peeps spraying crap on my windshield wanting a donation for squeegie kids. Its never ending. My family donates generously to our chosen charities, and those are chosen for our own reasons.
I go about our community conducting my affairs, and not a day goes by where I dont feel like Im put on the defensive, having to say no, no thanks, we already gave, I gave at the office, granny fred manages my money and wont let me touch it.
I have nothing against the SA, we give to them too.
She may have the right to complain, but the store manager is under no obligation to let her solicit funds from inside his store.
She knew what she signed up for, and she knew the time of year.
If she volunteered to solicit donations in december in canada, she should know its cold out.
If she cant hack that, she shoulda volunteered at a thrift store or the hospital. Somewhere she could be warm.
Soliciting donations outside a store exit is one thing, but tagging them indoors at the exit takes the ''captive audience syndrome'' just one step further.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Well from many of the posts it's pretty clear that compassion for a fellow human being is low on the list. She knew what she signed up for? Really? The manager has a right to not allow it in his store? True but again, really? How terribly inconvenienced you must be to have to say "no thanks, merry Christmas". Or how about, "thank you for taking the abuse from self serving inconsiderate people while trying to help those who are truly in need."

I have no doubt you people give - to the charity of yourselves. Fine, if you can't or won't be bothered to give to these organizations no problem but you should look in the mirror and ask yourself, where along the way in life did you lose your compassion and caring for other people.

Bah humbug indeed!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bman wrote: granny fred manages my money and wont let me touch it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

[quote="sassybee"]Pretty bad...why can't they be inside? [/quote]

It is at the CORPORATE level that such decisions are made. It isn't up to the store manager or individual employees. Once upon a time, the Bell ringers, celebrating the CHRISTIAN concept of Christmas were welcome to collect at stores, Now with EQUAL rights, especially when it comes to RELIGION ( that's what Christmas is), well, if they let in the Bell ringers, how about the Krishnas, theAllah U AkBars, the Klan, and ever other person group wailing in the store lobby. "Corporate" has generally decided that they/re ALL OUT ! and rightly so.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Bman wrote:Im pretty much done with being tagged for money every time I turn around. Clerks asking if I'd like to donate two dollars for skinny kids, leaving retail stores and peeps want me to make a donation for fat kids

Its never ending.

My family donates generously to our chosen charities, and those are chosen for our own reasons.

Amen, brutha...or sista?

I also donate to charities that I choose.

I think the stores that allow, and make the tellers ask for donations, are crossing a line.

You say "no" to donating $2 to whatever the cause of the week is, and you feel like a d-bag in front of all the people within earshot.

I liken it to people who ask who you voted for. It's none of their business. They shouldn't ask. You shouldn't be put in that situation.

Return to “Central Okanagan”