Coyote Attacks

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Coyote Attacks

Post by Poindexter »

dogspoiler wrote:I think I will carry a rifle on our hikes.
If there is going to be a confrontation I plan on being on the winning side.

Yikes. As long as you are no where near a populated area, that's all we need is a bunch of people shooting the local trails up. Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire. Think id rather bump into coyotes than a gung-ho hunter. Better start wearing orange on hikes now, which we do in some areas anyway.

I've come across some bold coyotes in my day and have never felt like I needed a rifle. Probably the scariest was a pack that visited us in the night when we were camping in okanagan Mtn park. Woke up to what sounded like a baby crying. Another one sounded like a small yappy poodle. They had us completely circled but all they wanted was for our dog to chase. That's why we leash our dog. Just 2 of us with with my mid sized dog, maybe 60 pounds. All we needed to do was make some noise, blow our whistles and throw a few rocks. Didn't sleep much that night but didnt need to kill them.

A good sized walking stick, dog on the leash and common sense is all the protection I've ever needed with coyotes.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Not only that, but I am teaching the Dogs to shoot.
Black Dogs Matter
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

dogspoiler wrote:Not only that, but I am teaching the Dogs to shoot.

Lol! Just don't teach the coyotes.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Poindexter wrote:Yikes. As long as you are no where near a populated area, that's all we need is a bunch of people shooting the local trails up. Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire. Think id rather bump into coyotes than a gung-ho hunter. Better start wearing orange on hikes now, which we do in some areas anyway.

Stereotypical blather. Nowhere did dogspoiler say he was hunting. He said he would like to carry a firearm for self-defence.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A female relative of mine, who has lived in the same area for 45 years, started packing a gun in the past 5 years because of a marked increase in wolves, cougars, and grizzly bears... and if she had not been packing the gun she would be dead because 3 full grown grizzlies charged her from close range.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:A female relative of mine, who has lived in the same area for 45 years, started packing a gun in the past 5 years because of a marked increase in wolves, cougars, and grizzly bears... and if she had not been packing the gun she would be dead because 3 full grown grizzlies charged her from close range.

Have to admit, grizzlies are a completely different risk. Have never come across one locally though, just brown bears and they've never posed a threat. Just have to know how to store food when camping.

As for rwede's whine, I'm just pleasantly surprised you didn't blame unions for the coyote attack.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Brown bears are grizzly bears. Perhaps you came across a brown-coloured black bear.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Rwede wrote:Brown bears are grizzly bears. Perhaps you came across a brown-coloured black bear.

Ooops. I stand corrected.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

[/quote]Stereotypical blather. Nowhere did dogspoiler say he was hunting. He said he would like to carry a firearm for self-defence.[/quote]

Didn't say whether he intended on carrying within one of the municipalities either................
I've been shot at by an overzealous hunter and my head close to being removed by a couple of inches.. It does happen and it's not stereotypical blather.
I birn quil I se
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Randall T wrote:
Didn't say whether he intended on carrying within one of the municipalities either................
I've been shot at by an overzealous hunter and my head close to being removed by a couple of inches.. It does happen and it's not stereotypical blather.

Hi Randall, my post did say that I was hiking on Crown Land, not in a Municipality.
If you did not chase after my Dogs on your hands and knees while wearing a shaggy fur coat, you would be pretty safe from me. My big male Rottie however may have plans for you.
Black Dogs Matter
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Rwede wrote:Brown bears are grizzly bears. Perhaps you came across a brown-coloured black bear.

Grizzlies are a sub-species of brown bear, so grizzlies are brown bears but brown bears aren't alway grizzlies.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

dogspoiler wrote:Hi Randall, my post did say that I was hiking on Crown Land, not in a Municipality.
If you did not chase after my Dogs on your hands and knees while wearing a shaggy fur coat, you would be pretty safe from me. My big male Rottie however may have plans for you.

I like Rottis but not that much :)
There is Crown Land within our Municipality boundaries but I don't think you can legally hike on it with a rifle?
I birn quil I se
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

You can legally hike with a rifle just about anywhere. It's only the reaction of misinformed bedwetters that causes any grief for doing so.

Randy, do tell us about all these bullets that were inches from your ears. I'd love to hear the story.
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

Not in National parks... I knew someone who had a crossbow on him and he got a hefty fine in Glacier NP
Positive energy activates constant elevation
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

tommythecat wrote:Not in National parks... I knew someone who had a crossbow on him and he got a hefty fine in Glacier NP

Correct. A few provincial parks are that way too, but most are open for carrying a firearm during a legal hunting season.

Return to “Central Okanagan”