Coyote Attacks

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Coyote Attacks

Post by Glacier »

The last time I bought a fire arm, I walked with it over my shoulder for 4 blocks of downtown Vernon. It felt really weird to do (especially as I past a 7-Eleven), but perfectly legal.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Rwede wrote:You can legally hike with a rifle just about anywhere. It's only the reaction of misinformed bedwetters that causes any grief for doing so.

Randy, do tell us about all these bullets that were inches from your ears. I'd love to hear the story.

Not all, just one. Some idiot shot at something that wasn't there and I happened to be on the other side of the phantom game. I'm not against educated hunters, even though most of us don't need to kill for food, but I'm not supportive of morons running around with firearms.

On carrying wherever you want to, when I was a kid I could get on a city bus with my rifle (uncased so it was not concealed) when I was going to the range. Try that these days. In recreational parks, ie: Boucherie Mountain (most of which is Crown Land) where people walk with their families and their dogs you may get a surprise if someone sees you getting it out of your trunk or strolling through the park with it. Legal or not, part of it is common sense in today's society. Times have changed.

As far as coyotes go, I think carrying for protection against them is a little over reactive. You're probably more at risk of getting bitten by someone's improperly trained trophy dog that's running loose.
I birn quil I se
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Glacier wrote:The last time I bought a fire arm, I walked with it over my shoulder for 4 blocks of downtown Vernon. It felt really weird to do (especially as I past a 7-Eleven), but perfectly legal.

Yeah, that would feel strange nowadays.
I birn quil I se
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ I'm betting there's no way a person would make it four blocks carrying a firearm in town these days. LOL

SWAT Team would be there before you got to the second block.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Four blocks ! I worry every time I take my trapline rifle from the house to the truck or back to the house that some *bleep* hat driving by is going to call the police and the swat team shows up.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

[quote="Atomoa"][quote]As far as the coyotes are concerned there needs to be a cull of little lapdogs and loose cats. Good for the coyotes.[/quote]

Yep, One more vote for the indigenous critters. Yippy lil dogs are mobile "snacks" in the Food Chain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A10ThunderboltII wrote:Yep, One more vote for the indigenous critters. Yippy lil dogs are mobile "snacks" in the Food Chain.

Considering an 18 year old woman was killed by a coyote - you still think your flippant remark relevant?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Fancy wrote:Considering an 18 year old woman was killed by a coyote - you still think your flippant remark relevant?

Don't use the death of Taylor Mitchell to try and be "superior" to others on this irrelevant online forum.

I'm the one that posted the story about Taylor Mitchell being killed by coyotes. If you watched the documentary, you would know that her case was the first and only one that has ever happened.

The coyotes in that story are not even remotely the same as the ones here. They most likely attacked her because they had adapted much differently than coyotes that are in our area. They are in a protected park. They had become comfortable with humans in the park, not afraid of them anymore, unlike our local coyotes.

A huge factor is that they are also what's know as an "eastern" coyote. They have bred with wolves and are actually a coyote/wolf hybrid. They are much larger than our western coyotes. The fact they have bred with wolves also gives them a pack mentality. That is thought to have been a major factor in the attack of Taylor. Coyotes do not tend to pack.

Taylor Mitchell's mom has vowed to help with the education of these animals. She is using her daughter's legacy to help inform others about coyotes, their behaviour, and nature, in general. She does not blame the "animal" for the loss of her daughter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You posted the story? I read about it in the news when it happened and have done a lot of research on the california coyote problem before that happened. Urban coyotes on the west coast have attacked children.

Here's the original link to the story that Rwede provided:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25199
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*bump

It's that time of year (spring mating season) so watch out for these animals.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... tes#362721
A Peachland woman says she was afraid for her life after two coyotes attacked her and her dogs while out on a morning walk Friday morning.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Whey are people allowing dogs off leash in the bush. According to the news report she "just thought it was chasing birds" and this OK to have your dog chase and harass wildlife. There are going to be more incidents like this and heaven forbid someones dog brings back a mamma bear with cubs in tow. Not to mention dogs getting killed in humane trap sets which are legally set and the area marked as active trapping.
it always the wildlife and the trapper that gets accused.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Dumb people raise dead dogs.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

I'd give her a fine for letting her dog chase the wildlife. People seem to think it's okay if their dogs chase/harass birds etc. But god forbid the wildlife strikes back.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Stratulat said she’s seen coyotes around the area in the past, but she's never been attacked.
She knew it was an area frequented by coyotes, yet she chose to let her dog off leash. IDIOT!
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

No one seems to have caught her comment that her spaniel ran into a culvert and got a piece of a coyote as it returned with blood on it and the blood was not from her dog and a piece of the animal in the culvert................hmm, was that a coyote den? Were there pups in there and the coyote was protecting them? just asking...............perhaps someone should check that out..............

“My (cocker spaniel) caught a smell, I thought she was chasing birds, and by the time I caught up to her there were two coyotes after her. I was screaming, of course, and I don’t know how she got away because they were in like a little culvert; I couldn’t see her but I could hear her,” said Stratulat.

“I was just like three feet away from her and I was calling her name and she came running at me. there was blood all over her mouth and her ear, and I thought that was it.”

She said the blood on her cocker spaniel was the coyotes', as her dog “took a chunk out of one of them.”

Return to “Central Okanagan”