Westlake/Hudson fatality update

dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Westlake/Hudson fatality update

Post by dodgerdodge »

Just saw in the paper that the case has finally been dealt with. A guy was killed in 2010 after being struck by a semi blowing through a yellow light. Whilst the semi was trying to beat the light a truck turned left into Westlake in front of it causing the semi to swerve to avoid collision and instead collided with an innocent vehicle waiting to merge and killed the driver.
Now at the time both parties were held to blame to an extent but the judge apparently decided the semi driver should get a stiffer penalty because, and i quote, "he had 37 driving convictions and 5 suspensions on his driving record"
The truck driver received a $1200 fine and the semi driver got 3 weeks jail time.
Is it just me or is anyone else completely shell-shocked that someone with this kind of exceptionally poor driving record could still be able to drive something like a semi. In fact i'm surprised he was allowed to drive at all and would have to wonder just how he even gets insurance, oh and he was only 39 years old, so in a little over 20 years on the road he has managed 37 convictions and 5 suspensions!!!!!
studdly
Fledgling

Re: Westlake/Hudson fatality update

Post by studdly »

I don't think the semi driver should be blamed at all. the driver of the pick up should have know that a semi doing 80 km/h cant stop on a dime like a car would. the pickup driver should have waiting to see if all traffic was at a complete stop before clearing the intersection. I know its very sad that someone lost their live from this accident but people have to stop and think before doing things while driving a vehicle...just my though
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

dodgerdodge, i agree. that semi driver, regardless of his record, certainly was an idiot. the light truck driver is certainly the cause of the accident, but the semi driver choosing to alter course did so without regard for innocent human life.

the semi driver should have maintained his course and let the chips fall. if the idiot in the light truck got what he/she deserved, then so be it. it would not have been the semi driver's fault, although i know from experience icbc would have went for the money grab and blamed both anyway.

we should all have dash cams, and highways should have far fewer lights on them than they do, in my opinion.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
studdly
Fledgling

Post by studdly »

That's why I sent $100 each for one of those dash cams for both of my cars. cause one day I just might need the video proof
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

studdly wrote:I don't think the semi driver should be blamed at all. the driver of the pick up should have know that a semi doing 80 km/h cant stop on a dime like a car would. the pickup driver should have waiting to see if all traffic was at a complete stop before clearing the intersection. I know its very sad that someone lost their live from this accident but people have to stop and think before doing things while driving a vehicle...just my though

If you and others actually believe this, it's no wonder people have to take their lives in their hands every time they drive anywhere. The semi driver would have had ample warning from the sign that would have had flashing lights long before the intersection and he obviously ignored that warning.

The pickup drivers error was assuming that other drivers would actually obey rules/laws. In this day and age you can't do this. He probably remembers the day's that people actually stopped at lights when they were supposed to. It's a joke that ICBC held him accountable at all.

It's a shame, but it's a fact in this me first, screw you world.

The semi driver, with his past record, should have been given at least 10 years.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I think that both were at fault and it seems the judge also thought so but attributed the greater penalty to the semi driver due to his previous record of poor driving. I say that not knowing exactly what his convictions were for but regardless to have had 5 suspensions on his licence already seems way over the top for a "professional driver"
Only yesterday there was yet another logging truck roll over and earlier that day i had seen a logging truck coming towards me at high speed round a bend in Joe Rich area and he was over the centre line. It seems that some of these drivers of big rigs have no regard for peoples safety and no idea what speed is appropriate for road conditions and the load they are carrying.
Maybe the semi driver wasn't able to stop in time, maybe he was driving too fast, maybe the truck should have waited to make the turn, the sad thing is this happens all too frequently and even worse people still turn across in front of oncoming vehicles when the new advance turn is clearly red.

Return to “Central Okanagan”