Daytime Driving Lights

Peachykeen

Daytime Driving Lights

Post by Peachykeen »

After driving today during the blizzard, I was amazed at the number of people who do not put their head lights on and rely only on the daytime driving lights. They are not visible from the back. Witnessed a poor semi driver behind a small black car which kept disappearing in the snow - semi had to keep braking as car was hardly visible.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Daytime Driving Lights

Post by Captain Awesome »

That's how I save on gas - no lights, no heater, and no radio.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Blizzard? Where was that?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Peachykeen if you consider what we had today as a blizzard no it was not, move to the prairies and you will experience a true blizzard.
Only blizzard to be found in Okanagan is the one at DQ.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe on the connector?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe on the connector?

Okay, never on valley bottom.

I've experience 1 prairie blizzard and that was 1 to many.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Captain Awesome wrote:That's how I save on gas - no lights, no heater, and no radio.

No engine...Damn hard peddling in the snow tho Captain...lol
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The other end of the spectrum is the a$$hats that feel it necessary to use their headlights and whatever aftermarket auxiliary lights they have bolted on. It is usually the guys in the jacked up trucks and their lights aren't aimed low enough to begin with. Nothing like being blinded in these ?blizzard? conditions.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I've noticed this same thing a lot the last few months. It seems like some people don't realise that they have no tail lights when they don't turn their headlights on. A good rule of thumb if you choose to rely on daytime running lights instead of using headlights full time is that if you need to use your windshield wipers, you need to turn on your headlights. Of course that doesn't help the few idiots who forget to turn their headlights on after dark even in good weather.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Yesterday driving was the usual. 10km an hour from the new overpass to Bartly. As far as blizzard goes. There were 15 cars plus spun out on the hill up to Gormans mill. What is wrong people? You suck at driving. Get some real winter tires and some lessons.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I find that most cars that have the instrument lights light up automatically are the worst offenders for "inappropriate" DRL drivers. I would be nice if we had rear fog lights on more of our cars (and were allowed to legally use them) for a lot of winter driving conditions around here, but then again seeing that many people can't even figure out their regular lighting system out, extra lighting systems could cause the average BC drivers head to implode.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

Dizzy1 wrote:I find that most cars that have the instrument lights light up automatically are the worst offenders for "inappropriate" DRL drivers. I would be nice if we had rear fog lights on more of our cars (and were allowed to legally use them) for a lot of winter driving conditions around here, but then again seeing that many people can't even figure out their regular lighting system out, extra lighting systems could cause the average BC drivers head to implode.

Agreed. This is a regulation issue. Many of these dolts do not realize they have no lights on. Automatic dash lights with no exterior lighting as a setup should not pass vehicle manufacturing standards. It's misleading/dangerous.

Catri wrote:I've noticed this same thing a lot the last few months. It seems like some people don't realise that they have no tail lights when they don't turn their headlights on. A good rule of thumb if you choose to rely on daytime running lights instead of using headlights full time is that if you need to use your windshield wipers, you need to turn on your headlights. Of course that doesn't help the few idiots who forget to turn their headlights on after dark even in good weather.

Also a good point. My 2013 Ram automatically turns headlights on with wipers. I suspect this will become the standard going forward. As well it should be.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I had a car that turned out the lights when you used the wipers ... was never a real fan of it myself, especially in the summer months when there is a shower in bright light conditions but then again I'm pretty good at knowing when headlights/tail lights should be on. Mind you the auto lights were a pain as well, you'd have to turn the auto lights system off every time you used the wipers or turned the lights on (going through a tunnel) ... cheap, useless unintelligent system, but what do you expect from Detroit ;)

As far as the DRL going on with intrument lights on the dash, my current car has that but when its dark out and I only have the DRLs on, the instruments don't light up, they light up only during daylight hours ... smart people those Germans ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”