Shannon Lake?

RedJames

Shannon Lake?

Post by RedJames »

I just bought a little 12 foot tinnie and an electric motor so this year I can start taking my son out fishing around Kelowna, I want him to love fishing as much as I did as a kid (not going to force him if he doesn't like it of course, lol) but would like to take him to lakes that I know he will catch something fairly easy. They don't have to be huge are anything as he is only 4. I hear Shannon Lake has Bass, Perch and Rainbows in it that bite like crazy, are boats allowed? If so where do you go to launch them?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Shannon Lake?

Post by TreeGuy »

Boats are allowed with electric motors. The launch area is anywhere along the shoreline inside the park. However, you will find that the shoreline is quite steep near the entrance and the best spot is inside the park. This means you will have to carry your boat and your gear quite a ways in. I take my canoe in there, I strap it to a dolly so I can wheel it to the spot. I wouldn't say fishing Shannon lake is easy, you are not always going to catch something. I find it is a great early season and late season fishing spot when the temps are cooler. There are shallow spots and lots of weeds to get snagged on. Probably the best opportunity for taking him fishing there is when they stock the lake in the spring, there is a little bay they put a net across and they keep them there for awhile before they release them into the rest of the lake.

You could also try Jackpine Lake up past Crystal Mountain. It's beautiful spot, less people than Shannon Lake and with fairly good fishing. Good Luck!
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

I tried the regional information, but no comments there, but there was a discussion here which seems to answer your question.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12738
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Shannon lake is great for fishing. A friend of mine took his sons there many times over the years and they always caught something.

I too have fished it many times with varying success but usually caught something.

Like any other lake though, you still have to know a thing or two about fishing. It's more than just dropping the line in the water but assuming you have some knowledge, you will have a good time.

And it's true, you have to walk your boat in a ways to drop it in where you won't kill yourself so wheels on the back are a great idea.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Anyone ice fishing on the lake?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

haven't looked but I will.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Several groups on Sunday ice fishing.