Lotsa Wind

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lotsa Wind

Post by Donald G »

Houses are too well built today. You used to be able to go to sleep listening to the wind "moan" through the eaves.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The majority of houses today are built like garbage, imo.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got lotsa "wind"!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Donald G wrote:Houses are too well built today.

Vancouver home inspector Tom Munro has seen in new homes the kind of things that would make Mike Holmes shudder: Homes being built without damp-proofing or water-proofing in the foundation, for example, even when engineers’ reports claimed the systems were compatible with the provincial building code.

The founder of Munro Home Inspections has seen toilets not bolted down securely, kitchen hood fans ventilated improperly, and joist hangers installed upside down, all in homes just about to be put on the market for the first time.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/pay- ... 02718.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

If you put the two concepts together you come up with "one man's garbage is another man's castle", complete with the moaning eaves and coyotes howling.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I wonder how many buildings you've built.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

I built four houses for myself over the years. All of the moaning I heard took place inside of the house. But didn't hear any moaning from the people who eventually purchased them.

Sealing 10/10
Sound effects 0/10
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm wondering if you yourself built them with your hands, or did you pay others to build them.
There's a difference.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Bman ...

I was my own contractor on all 4 but I kept my own hands in my pockets much of the time. To pass inspections, including howling eaves, you have to have much of the work overseen by a certified tradesmen or the building inspectors get very nervous. And one thing you do not want to encounter is a runaway "Mike Homes" with a red pencil in his or her pocket.

It makes the timing of trades a bit more difficult but saves on the final price.

Yes, the work that I did do on each house was done with my own hands. The rest was done using other people's hands. MIFun.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The only certified anything that u need are the regulated trades.
As far as building your own house u can bypass some of those too.
If u know what you're doing there's no need to fear any inspectors.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

When it comes to me doing something I am not completely versed in the word "If" seems to come up now and again. As in "if I had kept my hands in my pockets and used other people's hands ..." the wind would not be howling through the eaves.

P.S. Where were you when I needed your advice?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I was probably busy building something.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bman ...

What type of building do you do?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

To The Donald- I sent you a pm.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Super windy on the westside!

Return to “Central Okanagan”