West Kelowna Civic Centre location

beancounter
Board Meister

Re: West Kelowna Civic Centre location

Post by beancounter »

waterwings wrote:And Ms. Yeats may want a city hall in an industrial area of my home town. I certainly don't. What an image we would make for visitors or tourists to remember as they came across the bridge from the north, south, east and west. Imagine it folks.

I'm not sure the above is a valid argument. Visitors driving to the any of the proposed locations from the bridge will still have to go past this industrial area. Imagine that! It is located across from Bylands - hardly an eyesore - and finally the 'Junk Yard Dog' corner is getting some improvement. Maybe staring out the window would encourage DWK staff to think of further improvements. While I do see your point regarding potential costs of retro-fitting a building vs new build, I thought it was worthy of consideration, at least. As I mentioned, it is probably a moot point as four locations have already been shortlisted. Hopefully the Cattle Country location is chosen so that visitors don't have to continue to see that!
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I will say it again and again and again.....I would rather have space enough for the next 30 to 50 years and that includes all the land that a structure such as a City Hall will require rather than having to spend millions on one parking lot that way land values keep increasing. For a land owners its a big deal for a tax payer its how much of my money is needed to add to a structure over the years. Best do it best now rather than having to redo, rebuild, rebuy
jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

I think Heather's suggestion is a very good one, excellent long term economic efficiencies for administration to be right beside the municipal yard. If DWK were ever to go forward with a new municipal location, this one certainly tops my list.

Even if we hop-scotch to the building supply location to get another ten years of economic-use it will still be for half the price of a new one.

This is the geographical centre of DWK, equal distance from one end of Westside to the other. There is more commercial business around that location then there are in all of Westbank. The idea of mixing a new civic hall development with a some kind of residential complex, is great for the developer, but is less efficient for the municipal then placing the civic administration and its yard operation at the same site.

The civic hall mixed with residential development at any of the Westbank location still comes with the original problem expressed by our expensive civic-hall consultant, who told us staff were inefficient because they had to move from one portable to another or move from one site to another.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Or they could rent out the old Zellers building. Boom, enough space to last 100 years, and tons of parking.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

ha Rumor has it that the landlord or whoever owns the zellers building wants something like 65000 a month in rent....Supposedly City Furniture was looking to go into that building because it would have been cheaper to setup than the old extra foods store but with that rent they decided retrofitting the extra foods building was cheaper..

And talking about the zellers building (I know totally off topic) but whoever has that building (Zellers) should clean that area up....take a look a the loading ramp....garbage needles and Literally CRAP down there and landscaping is totally out of control.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Of course we should have the municipal hall and the works yard right beside each other. Now why haven't the rest of the cities and municipalities across the North American continent done that to save money. OH Yeah......insurance coverage and liability coverage wouldn't be a small part of the reasons or involved would it? Using common sense ......
jon peter christoff

Waterwings: This is not the first time you have made reference to the issue of "liability" and "insurance costs," -please elaborate for the rest of us who wish to understand your reasoning.
beancounter
Board Meister

Post by beancounter »

waterwings wrote:Of course we should have the municipal hall and the works yard right beside each other. Now why haven't the rest of the cities and municipalities across the North American continent done that to save money. OH Yeah......insurance coverage and liability coverage wouldn't be a small part of the reasons or involved would it? Using common sense ......

Perhaps because other cities have chosen to locate their municipal hall in prime real estate - on the waterfront, downtown, etc. - it isn't viable to have their works yard in the same location. I'm unclear where insurance/liability issue would come in as well. I'm sure public access to the works yard would be prohibited; just as it was when trucks/equipment etc were stored in a fenced off location at Boucherie. I don't profess to know the answers - I just think this option is worthy of more than an immediate dismissal.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Geez.....please don't run in the upcoming election. A beancounter who simply counts beans without using common sense or doing research before making statements will only costs thousands of dollars and wastes valuable time. There is a reason why municipal halls and yards are separated. What is it a court of law judge often says "ignorance is not an excuse".
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

psssst....while you are researching insurance issues try this on for size. How many driveways and roads would you need to service the different type of vehicles that go in and out of a service yard or would you place citizens in harms way of such contraptions?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

We're not talking heavy equipment as any projects requiring that are contracted out. So what do we have, a few pickup trucks and the odd trailer with a mower on it. I mean really, Hwy97 goes right through the middle of Westbank already and brings transports, logging trucks, chip trucks, and all that sort of thing. I wonder if the little businesses along Main and Dobbin have to pay astronomic insurance premiums. I think not. I really don't see what the liability issue would be, but maybe someone can shed some actual light on it and not just personal notions.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the vacant Home Building Centre location and having everything in one package. That area is finally being upgraded and, as previously mentioned, is pretty much central in West Kelowna. The Westbank locations never made any sense at all to me, and I somehow get a nagging feeling it's only to appease the "We Want Westbank" faction.
I birn quil I se
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Oh my oh my oh my.....God help us! and I mean that! Phone city hall and ask them where they park their vehicles, tools, supplies now because it is not at the community center! Posting what you think instead of having knowledge of what is truly going on is a very foolish,
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

waterwings wrote:Oh my oh my oh my.....God help us! and I mean that! Phone city hall and ask them where they park their vehicles, tools, supplies now because it is not at the community center! Posting what you think instead of having knowledge of what is truly going on is a very foolish,

I've seen their maintenance yard. This is not NYC. However, it sounds like you have an inventory of their equipment so enlighten me. And about the liability costs? Still waiting for that. But maybe you don't want to share your research?

If we leave the yard out of the equation, what is really wrong with the central Building Centre location, or possible another option in generally the same area, besides you wanting it in your "home town"?
I birn quil I se
jon peter christoff

Waterwings; we are waiting...please enlighten us about this liability monster, help the rest of us understand how foolish we are?
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Sir: you are the one wanting to represent the citizens of the District of West Kelowna and you have the nerve to ask me to do your work? You need to do your own research and learn because running a city of any size takes skill, knowledge, common sense and the ability to learn new ways and most important WHY it is important to make sure every citizen in the district is represented by decisions of a council or council member. I think you have the same political beliefs as those of another person who is subjective instead objective and subjective means sitting at a kitchen table and not dealing with public's reality. Please do your own research. You should/could/woulda learn something.

Return to “Central Okanagan”