West Kelowna Civic Centre location

inquisitive
Fledgling

West Kelowna Civic Centre location

Post by inquisitive »

I am bitterly disappointed to learn that the land already owned by the district municipality - that piece where the JB Pool, the board park, the music in the park, the annual Daze fun fair, are located. This property has an ideal location, with lake views and interesting topography, is sufficient in size to accommodate every feature identified by the proponents, with a vast area, over and above City Hall's defined space, for their future long-term expansion as well as current opportunities for commercial, the arts, and park development to encompass all that needs to be accommodated within a picturesque tax-payer owned footprint.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: West Kelowna Civic Centre location

Post by oneh2obabe »

Doesn't the land where Westside Daze is held belong to WFN?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Yes that land belongs to the
WFN
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I was happy to see the list of possible locations. My vote is for the elliott road location as I live in that area and building on that site would bring other infrastructure improvements to my neighbourhood (yes its all about me!). My second choice would be the Cattle country location as then maybe we could get rid of the bright green derelict gas station.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I think the cattle country would be best....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
aandjsmama

Post by aandjsmama »

Cattle Country location is an eyesore, that would be an awesome location
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How long has that mall been empty?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Roughly 3 years. It would be the ideal place for the civic centre seeing the new transit terminal is being built across the road.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

and if they do put it at the old cattle country location, then they better make a very nice looking building because when people from out of town do drive by they will look at the building as a icon of westbank.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Why would DWK build a summer entertainment venue (Music in the Park) and a skateboard park, plus improve JB pool if if they are on WFN land? Oh! and yes, sponsor the Daze fun-fair?
The four contenders have offered to develop land that in each case is locked in by other third-party-owned properties thus precluding any possibility of expansion to meet future needs.
All you will get is a municipal building and a parking lot on any of those four sites.
The other site could form the hub of so much more municipally-centred activities. It has the capability of housing current needs that could include parklands, a civic arts centre, a civic theatre, an open plaza (for public gatherings and outdoor ceremonies) plus a host of as yet unidentified civic projects, including an upgraded and beautified walkway down to the water front.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

I'm not sure what lot you're talking about but I know how you can settle what area it's in.

- Go to www.rdcogis.com
- Find the parcel in question, select it with the "select" tool
- Click on "report" in the toolbar near the top
- Top right corner has a box that displays the jurisdiction
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

inquisitive wrote:Why would DWK build a summer entertainment venue (Music in the Park) and a skateboard park, plus improve JB pool if if they are on WFN land? Oh! and yes, sponsor the Daze fun-fair?

Johnson Bentley pool and such are on land owned by West Kelowna. Westside Dazes is held on land owned by WFN. If you don't believe it, call their office and they will be more than happy to answer your question regarding ownership.

jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

Doesn't anyone wonder how DWK will pay for this new city hall?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Taxes..

I mean we are almost as big as Penticton without a real city hall...
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Whillis and Harding moved . Find later could move in there. I don't know where all this tax is coming from . The town has had a hundred years to build something , and there's no money or anything to show for it . Other than a run down traffic gimped town.
Strong and free

Return to “Central Okanagan”