ICBC Speed Sign Shot Out

nikonfan
Fledgling

ICBC Speed Sign Shot Out

Post by nikonfan »

image.jpg
image.jpg
I guess someone in Peachland does not like the new ICBC speed sign or doesn't like the bright yellow light shining in their window very time a car goes by. The sign was installed in November and turned on December 24th. It worked all day Christmas Day but someone took a shot gun to it Boxing Day. According to one of the city staff it is about a $5000.00 shot.
WhatThe

Re: ICBC Speed Sign Shot Out

Post by WhatThe »

I find this rather amusing. Those signs are useless anyway, never accurate. waste of money in the first place.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

removed/Trip
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 31st, 2014, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: comments like this derail the thread.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

They are rather bright if your house happens to be around it. I am surprised that the ones on OK Hwy are still working they light up 4 houses.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I find the ones on Springfield somewhat annoying, as realistically one can't really do exactly the speed limit, so when the thing tells you you're speeding at 51kph it tends to get old after a while, then before you know it you just ignore the darn things.

As long as I'm within 10kph of the speed limit I don't really care what those signs say, and judging by the number of vehicles that pass me regularly I'm guessing I am not alone.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The sign shown in the OP is at least useful in that it has the posted speed above it. I think the ones on Springfield or others I have seen, don't have the posted speed with them which is not so useful if you don't know the posted speed.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

When Speed Limits stop making sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw

If over 90% of the people are speeding, then it's probably the limit that is wrong, not the drivers. ..

Exceptions obviously exist, please feel free to point them out indignantly though....
On a different forum
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

ps: the person who shot out that sign was probably speeding, they missed with the first shot.
On a different forum
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I would hate to have that thing by my house flashing while im trying to watch a movie....no wonder it was shot....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Really? people are defending the vandal that shot and damaged city property? And you're saying it's ok because it's a light that shines into your property? sorry, but if the light isn't on your property, then the onus is up to you to find a legal way of dealing with it. I find blinds work.

is it suddenly ok to shoot out street lights and traffic lights because some stray photons reach your living room?

this thread seems to have devolved into being less about vandalism and more about "waah speed limits add a couple minutes to my commute"
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

There are no homes in the immediate vicinity of the speed board that was shot. The closest residence is high above it and well away from the road......a property than has seen its share of controversy regarding previous vandalism and tagging in the Vernon Ave. area. The property immediately adjacent to this board on the same side is a 10 plus acre cherry orchard....hardly bothering the trees!

I do however wonder at a claim of $5,000 damage as the reader board is "gone" and perhaps some computer part?, but the pole, signage and boxes of equipment are metal. Perhaps the solar panel that powers them? Vandalism is vandalism, but surely not $5,000 worth, at least I hope not as ICBC is being overcharged if that is the case as it really is just a speed gun on a pole. IMO.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Omnitheo wrote:Really? people are defending the vandal that shot and damaged city property? And you're saying it's ok because it's a light that shines into your property? sorry, but if the light isn't on your property, then the onus is up to you to find a legal way of dealing with it. I find blinds work.

is it suddenly ok to shoot out street lights and traffic lights because some stray photons reach your living room?

this thread seems to have devolved into being less about vandalism and more about "waah speed limits add a couple minutes to my commute"

Oh lighten up. It's funny. :)
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

So lets set one up next to you house...and you can put your blinds down 24/7 never to use that window again...or right where the window your bedroom is at...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
dayton

Post by dayton »

I ignore those signs since I found a similar device in the dash of truck... Called a speedo... Don't need a second opinion... Thanks tho
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Symbonite wrote:So lets set one up next to you house...and you can put your blinds down 24/7 never to use that window again...or right where the window your bedroom is at...

well i don't think this is anywhere near any houses, but honestly if light shining in your window bothers you, then that is what blinds are for. either you like light coming through, and have them open, or don't and have them closed. Pretty simple concept. And to be honest, I don't have them open in my bedroom. that's where i sleep and I prefer it to be dark.

In the past though, there was a streetlight that shone in through my blinds into my bedroom. I would shine a laser pointer at it's light sensor, and this would turn it off for about half an hour.

as far as speed signs go, there is one just around the corner from my house. Luckily nobody in my area is mentally unstable enough to shoot it.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Central Okanagan”