ICBC Speed Sign Shot Out

nikonfan
Fledgling

Re: ICBC Speed Sign Shot Out

Post by nikonfan »

I was just speculating why I think it might have been shot but I do not know for sure. All that I do know it was shot out and city staff told me that the computer/ display board was shot out and the replacement cost was $5000.00. I do know that the light on Old OK Hwy lights up a few houses very brightly and I am sure if a bedroom was on that side it would be like staying at a cheap motel on the old Vegas strip with neon lights flashing all night.

I do not condone the vandalizing of anything either. Like mentioned above, there is an issue around the area with vandals. I caught some kids last year painting stuff in the Cemetery and street signs and when I delivered them to their folks I was told to mind my own business. Funny though, after a call to the RCMP kids were out later washing the signs!
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

The only thing I hate more than those signs is people speeding past my house. I would love to put my own sign out . It is irritating to see people go flying by while texting , even the cops do it. Areas with blind driveways should have them periodically . Build them so they can be moved every so often. Probably shouldn't shoot them . As funny as it sounds did someone really discharge a firearm in city limits ?
Strong and free
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've seen quite a few signs shot up in other places, but they never make the news because they're still readable afterwards. I suspect that this sign was shot largely for the same reason other signs are shot, and not so much because someone hated the idea behind the sign. Afterall, from what I've read on Castanet forums (the source of all-knowing truth) Peachland is a 50/50 mix of rednecks and pedophiles. Rednecks that shoot signs are relatively harmless, though not something I'd condone.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

I guess somebody had to do it. An ultimate expression of the subconscious mass reaching tiredness of subliminal messages.
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
CloisteredDrone
Fledgling

Post by CloisteredDrone »

WhatThe wrote:I find this rather amusing. Those signs are useless anyway, never accurate. waste of money in the first place.

I've checked them against GPS, and yes, they are accurate. It's vehicle speedometers that are almost always not accurate.

The signs provide a good opportunity to check ol' Betsy's.
That was 'Can You Dig It' by Georgie Wood.
And now we'd like to do 'Hark The Angels Come.'
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

One of the biggest reasons that drivers give to RCMP when caught for speeding, is that they did not know that they were speeding. Obviously, drivers need a reminder to check their speed, instead of just driving at the speed of traffic.

The signs are accurate and have been validated as being one of the most cost effective methods to reduce chronic speeding in specific locations, which is why they are often moved around. They are there to give law abiding citizens the chance to be law abiding and as such have become popular across BC because they work.

They are owned by the municipality, and will be replaced, so yes, you shoot it out and your taxes will go up.

Just a reminder, that they come fully equipped to measure speed, snap a picture and have a fine delivered to your door the next day, which is how they are most often used across North America. Perhaps here as well, in the not so distant future if the current "honour" system doesn't work.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I wonder if the last thing that sign registered was the speed of the shotgun blast bearing down on it..... Lol....
On a different forum

Return to “Central Okanagan”