Big box stores

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Big box stores

Post by Bsuds »

youhavegottobekidding wrote:If there happens to be a problem with ANYTHING you buy at COSCO, they will not argue with you at all, they just give you your $$$ back.......you just can't beat that.

I agree. We had a disagreement with the Optical Dept over some prescription glasses that were just not working out and were told they were over 90 days and would not do anything about it. An e-mail to their HO straightened that out pretty quick.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

But when they start selling booze like they do in the civilized parts of the world, everyone will love Costco and their memberships will be more than paid for.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:But when they start selling booze like they do in the civilized parts of the world, everyone will love Costco and their memberships will be more than paid for.

Can't see that making much difference as the LCB controls the pricing don't they?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

My parents bought a water kettle at Costco years ago, went on the fritz a couple of months ago, they didn't even have the receipt anymore, they weren't even sure if that's where they bought it ... long story short, they went in, they checked their records with their membership card and sure enough that's where they bought it and replaced it.

Personally, I like Costco simply for the samples :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jswiftkelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

It's all a matter of having the population to support it. These companies don't jump into these decisions to invest millions in communities without doing their homework. In the long-term, West Kelowna and WFN are only going to grow. It's a matter of time before they locate business on that side of the lake. This is aside from whether or not we personally like big box stores.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Can't see that making much difference as the LCB controls the pricing don't they?

True but Costco carries a big stick and they would be a very large customer for the Government so maybe, just maybe there will be deals to be had. There are in Calgary at the Costco stores.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote: There are in Calgary at the Costco stores.

Did you know that you can bring Wine into Alberta from the US with no duty but you can't in BC? Because the LCB has to get their cut!

Good luck with Costco getting any breaks from them.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Bsuds wrote:Can't see that making much difference as the LCB controls the pricing don't they?

LCB only controls what the retailer pays not what the consumer pays. Lots of stores have lost leaders (sales below cost) just to move inventory and get people into the store hoping they'll also buy other items. Why not add booze to the list?
Costco often buys distress sale merchandise so it is possible they could buy booze at a reduced price compared to LCB and those savings could reach the end consumer.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

cv23 wrote:Costco often buys distress sale merchandise

Where did you dig that one up from?? I haven't heard that line of nonsense in an age. I recall that being a rumor back when they first came to Canada, but there was no truth to than nor is there now. Go into Costco this weekend and see if you can find any "distressed" product. They deal directly with the name brands and negotiate for containers of product not a couple cases or a pallets worth.

Costco's business model is to sell low so they can sell lots. They have an economy of scale that is hard to compete against. So ya, they would likely buy from LCB at the same price as the corner liquor store, but they aren't having to mark it up 50%, 75% or more to survive.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Costco's business model is to sell low so they can sell lots. They have an economy of scale that is hard to compete against. So ya, they would likely buy from LCB at the same price as the corner liquor store, but they aren't having to mark it up 50%, 75% or more to survive.

Countin on it.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Bsuds wrote:
Did you know that you can bring Wine into Alberta from the US with no duty but you can't in BC? Because the LCB has to get their cut!

Good luck with Costco getting any breaks from them.

There is still federal duty, but it's not a huge amount. The difference is in the provincial markup. If you go over your duty free limit a $25 bottle of wine will cost you about $4.50 in Alberta, about $7.00 in Manitoba and about $4.00 in Saskatchewan in combined taxes, federal duty and provincial markup. In BC that same bottle would cost you $22 in duty, taxes and markup.

It's not just wine either. Significantly cheaper for spirits also in other provinces. $40 bottle of whiskey is less than $5 in Alberta and almost $50 in BC.

You would think that with all the wine produced in the western US states and BC that those states and BC could work out an agreement so tourists could take back more than a couple of bottles.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

As a whole, the Government needs to get it's collective head out of it's gaping butt and back off on the crippling taxes that we have been subjected to for seemingly ever.

There is no justification. Taxation is simply a vehicle that is used to create money when the well has gone dry.

Malfeasance, misappropriation; the phantom "general fund". Overspending, underserving and we all are notable for our willingness to drop our pants and. Well, the rest is unnecessary.

I know this isn't the place but man, when the cost of booze goes up, I gets ornery. And the thought of being able to maybe get an actual "deal" someday is exciting.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Steve-O wrote:]Where did you dig that one up from?? I haven't heard that line of nonsense in an age. I recall that being a rumor back when they first came to Canada, but there was no truth to than nor is there now. Go into Costco this weekend and see if you can find any "distressed" product. They deal directly with the name brands and negotiate for containers of product not a couple cases or a pallets worth.

Guess again Sunshine.
Costco often buys "distressed" (ie discontinued or surplus) items directly from the manufacture or from other retailers.
Why do you think you can go into Costco one day and see an item and go back the next day and its gone? It's because they bought a batch of product and only that batch not an ongoing supply. Look at the model numbers of items in Costco and then go to the manufacturers website and check for the model. You will often find the item is a previous model that the manufacturer no longer offers and blew out (distress sold) to Costco in order to quickly deal with their old (obsolete in the manufactures eyes) inventory.

Once a new model year car comes out any existing inventory of that same model gets blown out/distressed sold as while still brand new with and full warranty it is considered as year old inventory. The same is true with many goods at Costco.

There is nothing to say that if, for example Liquor Depot, as a chain went into bankruptsy that a receiver wouldn't make a deal for existing inventory of a product chain wide. All items would be brand new and in seal packages but the purchaser, maybe Costco. could buy container loads of a product at pennies on the dollar so the receiver could satisfy outstanding creditors.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

cv23 wrote:Why do you think you can go into Costco one day and see an item and go back the next day and its gone?

This too is part of their business plan.

Return to “Central Okanagan”