"Small Town B.C." Westbank, B.C.

whirlwind

"Small Town B.C." Westbank, B.C.

Post by whirlwind »

Westbank B.C. will be featured on "Small Town B.C." this Saturday, Feb. 15th on the morning Global Newscast for those of you who are interested!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: "Small Town B.C." Westbank, B.C.

Post by XT225 »

whirlwind wrote:Westbank B.C. will be featured on "Small Town B.C." this Saturday, Feb. 15th on the morning Global Newscast for those of you who are interested!

What is Global trying to do? Stir the pot or what!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Is that near West Kelowna?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

jennylives wrote:Is that near West Kelowna?

Yes, jennylives...Global must be doing a small town feature on the First Nations people...as that's the ONLY group that still has that name, legally, I believe.
whirlwind

Post by whirlwind »

XT225 wrote:
Yes, jennylives...Global must be doing a small town feature on the First Nations people...as that's the ONLY group that still has that name, legally, I believe.

Westbank has been a town for over 110 years so I would say it does qualify for the "small town" feature on Global.
Westbank is still a small town located in the District of West Kelowna.

Legally anyone living in the V4T area of the District of West Kelowna can use the legal address of Westbank B.C.
I have it for my driver's licience, my passport, all of my legal documents for my limited company. all government documents accept the name Westbank, B.C.
In 1963 when the Native band in this area separated from the Okanagan Band they decided to incorporate the name Westbank to become "Westbank First Nation to be in harmony with the area in which they lived and were part of.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

whirlwind wrote:Westbank has been a town for over 110 years so I would say it does qualify for the "small town" feature on Global.
Westbank is still a small town located in the District of West Kelowna.
I don't think that's correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_to ... h_Columbia
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think Westbank is a small town just the same way as Rutland is a small town. Never incorporated but a town anyway. Nobody crabs about Rutland being a town - it is just accepted.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thanks for clearing that up; it was confusing for certain. Perhaps a bit like Winfield being called Lake Country. I still call it Winfield and likely always will.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Funny, I never considered Rutland a small town - just another suburb of Kelowna.
I've never considered Westbank a town either, just another area that used to be part of the Regional District
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I am sending this link directly to the District of West Kelowna. This ought to put some fire in their meeting. Westbank has never been a town EVER! Those who lived here for 100 years were rednecks and expected things to remain the same and now that they are not .....They are calling Sonja at Global who has not done its research.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I look at this way: Westbank (downtown area) is to West Kelowna as Winfield is to District of Lake Country.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

whirlwind wrote:Westbank B.C. will be featured on "Small Town B.C." this Saturday, Feb. 15th on the morning Global Newscast for those of you who are interested!

"Small Town" ha ha ha, that's a laugh! Westbank is about as small as Surrey!

There's dozens and dozens of true small towns in BC (ie - ones where you know EVERYONE!) but Westbank sure isn't one of them.

Here's some fine examples. Alexis Creek has a population of about 127! :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... a#Villages
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Tero wrote:"Small Town" ha ha ha, that's a laugh! Westbank is about as small as Surrey!

There's dozens and dozens of true small towns in BC (ie - ones where you know EVERYONE!) but Westbank sure isn't one of them.

Here's some fine examples. Alexis Creek has a population of about 127! :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... a#Villages

Surrey BC population is 395,000, is the same as West Kelowna 31,000+. There is something wrong with my math then.
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 12th, 2014, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whirlwind

Post by whirlwind »

GordonH wrote:I look at this way: Westbank (downtown area) is to West Kelowna as Winfield is to District of Lake Country.

Thank you for that comment, Gordon. That is exactly what Westbank is.
Windfield, Oyama, Carrs Landing and Okanagan Centre are little towns that have been here probably as long as Westbank
and their council decided that is how it should remain. They have given the residents the ability to have pride in their history instead of trying to force the name Lake Country on them.
Look up Winfield in Wikipedia.

I would think that if Sunnyside. Glenrosa, Lakeview or Casa Loma had developed into little towns instead of having just a few families living in the area , the residents in those areas would want the same recognition.
Westbank was the only area on this side of the lake that developed into a town and it encompassed all residents living on the west side of the lake to the Peachland border.
To try to take our history away, to try to eradicate the fact that it has been a small town for over 110 years is ridiculous.
We have taken pride in our history and our town. I think that is commendable.
If Sunnyside, Glenrosa, Lakeview residents want to do the same, I would welcome it. We do not need people being antagonistic with the residents that are active in their own communities.
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

No one is taking your pride away, or trying to eradicate your history so get over it already. Drop the name change crap and enjoy the upcoming TV special for what it is.

Return to “Central Okanagan”