Seclusion Bay fire victims suing

Frisk
Guru

Seclusion Bay fire victims suing

Post by Frisk »

I saw this story on the news today.

The Seclusion Bay fire started on July 12th, 2010 when a tree fell on a power line during a wind storm. the fire burned 1 home. the owners didn't have insurance. they are now suing FortisBC and another seclusion bay home owner for not removing the tree before it fell on the power line.

Any thoughts on this?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Seclusion Bay fire victims suing

Post by gardengirl »

Is this the guy who had a Harley, a boat, and a whack of other toys, but didn't buy insurance? The same guy who went on tv and cried the blues and asked for donations?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Suppose you look at it from the perspective of someone who DID have insurance.

What if the same thing happened...a tree fell on your home...your car?

If there is any kind of deductible that I would be liable to pay because of someone else's negligence, I would be pretty choked.

There is also the argument of "act of god" or "*bleep* happens". Some times you simply cannot predict these things. Was it an old rotten tree moments away from keeling over? Or just standing there minding its own business and became the victim of circumstance? It also depends on the degree to which this could have been predicted, in my opinion.

Then again, I don't know any details. Links?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Then again, I don't know any details. Links?

If you do a search in the upper right corner on "Castanet" or "news" you will get more then enough links to keep you up all night reading.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

That guy needs a shovel for all his BS he spreads around. Probably so used to getting sued himself that he figures it's time to do something in return. I hope he gets nothing!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

the guy had choices and HE historically made the wrong choices at every turn: he had a choice between a Harley or insurance, he chose the bike, he had a choice between a boat and insurance, he chose a boat, he had a choice of a shop and a dock or insurance, he chose both of those physical items, he had a choice of a house with an incredible view or insurance, he chose the location and a lifestyle over protecting his family and their future.

His neighbours had insurance... and yet he wants them to pay again.

Jesus built the forest that he chose to live beside, is he going to start naming churches in suits for not removing Jesus' forest fuel behind him?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

While I don't agree with his choices, when a neighbours tree fell on my property in a windstorm their insurance paid for the damages. So I suppose he is within his rights to try and get compensated is the tree caused all the damage.

I guess the courts will decide.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Yup. Predictable.

If I recall correctly, his business ended not long after the fire as well. Hopefully that doesn't get pinned on the fire.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

gardengirl wrote:Is this the guy who had a Harley, a boat, and a whack of other toys, but didn't buy insurance? The same guy who went on tv and cried the blues and asked for donations?

Must have done alright as he's now living in Mexico. Hmm, anyone know where this worked or anything about him?

He is the toy guy.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

His kid is running it apparently. Same location with different name.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

He cant be in that bad of shape if he had no insurance.
If his property was financed the lender would demand it be insured.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I'm sure no bank will mortgage a property without insurance. Is that right? Unless he had "shady" money.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

It was listed for sale at 6 million plus. Boo hoo.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

The rights and obligations around trees is an interesting topic. Does your insurance policy cover damage to your home by trees? What does it cover? Most policies if they cover tree damage only pays for the tree to be removed off of your house, no clean up or debris disposal. What if your tree falls on the neighbours house? Who is responsible? What if you are made aware of a potential hazard and do nothing about it and then your tree damages your neighbours property?

A book has been written on this by Dr. Julian Dunster, "Arboriculture And The Law In Canada". https://www.isarmc.org/store/?includes=product_info&category=3&subcategory=&product=19 He has been used by homeowners to dispute many different tree related court cases.

I am sure that Fortis can afford many more lawyers than this guy can. It will be interesting to find out the results of the suit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”