Whose job is it to bring the jobs here?

matai
Banned

Re: Whose job is it to bring the jobs here?

Post by matai »

For the accountant... a lot of plants need 100 accountants?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

matai wrote:For the accountant... a lot of plants need 100 accountants?

Indeed. I was not aware accounting was a manufacturing job. Who knew?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Same can be said for electrician ;-)
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

A Manufacturing plant doesn't require an accountant?

A Manufacturing plant does not require an electrician to repair the equipment used to manufacture the goods?

Right.. OK...

Talk amongst yourselves... I have to work tomorrow, in my well paying job that you all seem to think does not exist. LOL.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

(off-topic comments removed - fluffy)
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

matai
Banned

Post by matai »

(off-topic comment removed - fluffy)

atenbacon wrote:A Manufacturing plant doesn't require an accountant? LOL.

And if you go back to the 1st post of this page you'll find the answer to your own question.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

matai wrote: And if you go back to the 1st post of this page you'll find the answer to your own question.

No need,

If you had read the third post in the thread you would see where that came from. removed
Last edited by Jo on Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Let's go back to our sheeps, it looks like we got lost.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

I'm a little late to the party here, sorry. I've read/scanned most posts and I have to wonder why everyone is fixated on manufacturing as being the key to good jobs? If you haven't noticed, the world has changed and manufacturing goods is not what it used to be. Most "things" are manufactured in countries that pay a fraction of wages and taxes that we do, like China for example.

In my view the biggest issue we have in staying economically viable is that the country as a whole is slow to the party in realizing that we need to look to the future for jobs that will provide a sustainable economy (and environment). Some of the best paying jobs in the world right now are in technology. Read any number of reports and you'll see that the most desired thing a technology worker is looking for in their employer is "lifestyle".

And if you're a person who wants to complain about something, how about complaining to your leaders that India has a more highly trained IT workforce than Canada. How is it that a country with many times our population and a major challenge with poverty across the board can muster the ability to train millions to lead the technology workforce? How is it that that workforce now makes more money than the average Canadian?

It's not about high cost of living - have you looked at what it costs to live in Toronto, or Sydney Au, or LA or San Francisco for that matter?

Now to answer the OP - it's not our governments' responsibility to find you a job. However, economic development is a mandate of your local representatives - i.e. DWK mayor and council. It IS their job to make this community an attractive place to live and for business. They have completely failed at the latter and I know of little they are doing to change that.
jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

Sure IT is wonderful but the whole world can't be all "IT" we can't lose the skill of making things, the IT sector may be in the growth cycle now and that good, but how many programmers do we need?

Now if we manufactured these technological devices here that would be a good thing. But instead we sit in our rooms and develop these programmes and when we have it, our first reaction is then try and sell it off so that someone else to makes it somewhere else and sells it back to us. IT is not enough. Building technologically advanced stuff, (a manufacturing plant) here, that's marketed worldwide would create jobs here.

The high cost of living doesn't prevent job creation, but does place downward pressure on remuneration for the local service provider who is trying to make a living here selling to the local market.

So instead of more then smart IT guys and girls, we need more smart IT-manufacturers, with the cash and the desire to build manufacturing plants here. Then our lower wages here can be turned to an advantage. Yup we have to compete with China and India and all those places so big fat wages and salaries are a no-no but when the world is the market, the $25-40/hour here can work.

DWK council is very limited in its ability to stimulate jobs here, you are right.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

IT is more than programming, a lot more. Where do you think all that information on the Internet comes from? Datacenters. Every point of sale terminal, every slot machine, every gas pump, every inventory system, every phone, every TV, on and on, connect to IT systems run by skilled and well paid IT professionals. They are manufacturing, that's the new paradigm.

The music and video industries fought this concept with similar arguments. They continued to embrace the production of physical CDs and couldn't see how that was a mistake. Well now look around. How many Blockbusters do you see?

IT won't solve all the area's job requirements but it's sustainable, high paying and extremely well suited for the Okanagan. While we spend tens of millions of dollars to try and keep a few thousand people employed in a dying industry like forestry, we could have re-trained an entire work force and set ourselves up for many years to come.
jon peter christoff

Post by jon peter christoff »

nextimeround wrote:IT is more than programming, a lot more. Where do you think all that information on the Internet comes from? Datacenters. Every point of sale terminal, every slot machine, every gas pump, every inventory system, every phone, every TV, on and on, connect to IT systems run by skilled and well paid IT professionals. They are manufacturing, that's the new paradigm.

The music and video industries fought this concept with similar arguments. They continued to embrace the production of physical CDs and couldn't see how that was a mistake. Well now look around. How many Blockbusters do you see?

IT won't solve all the area's job requirements but it's sustainable, high paying and extremely well suited for the Okanagan. While we spend tens of millions of dollars to try and keep a few thousand people employed in a dying industry like forestry, we could have re-trained an entire work force and set ourselves up for many years to come.

Great, wonderful I'm not putting down IT, slow down and climb down, Where is all the stuff you mentioned actually built into our market/system? Not here, it's sold-off elsewhere and we like others are the end users, where are the local jobs?

Sure it's good to have IT people living here, earning from other places but spending here, this brings money in, this is good but how can we translate that into more local jobs for other non-IT people living here without...you know....the building-part of your industry.

Not everyone wants to be IT, some people like working with their hands, and like any community we need all kinds of people

What I'm suggesting is the manufacturing IT devices here takes a super-duper IT business-type who is more then just development and research, but is investing $$$ into bricks and mortar here. That is what I'm saying.

I hope that super-duper IT person is you!

Return to “Central Okanagan”