Chairlift accident

Motherland

Re: Chairlift accident

Post by Motherland »

Erm, forgive me for saying, but aren't the people responsible for checking the safety of the equipment supposed to do some type of risk assessment of the lift.

So we turn the lift on and for some reason the chairs clatter against the tower. Ok, so let's put a bit of plywood on it to stop you getting your ski/board leg caught in it! Ah great that's fixed It.

Those in charge of safety inspections can clearly see that a bandaid has been put on the tower, but no one investigates the design of it. Clearly the safety inspections are not adequate.
O4chrisake

Post by O4chrisake »

I watched the Global Okanagan clip where Manager Mike got all flustered with, as someone termed it the TMZ type of questioning. In the interview he mentioned that while some people have cancelled their lessons some others had actually called to book lessons. I am a fan of the mountain and plan on skiing there as soon as they re-open but I have to challenge Manager Mike on that because I tried to call the mountain this morning and went through the directory provided and not one person answered so I'm left to wonder who is taking calls up there?
sunnybunny1

Post by sunnybunny1 »

[quote="O4chrisake"]I watched the Global Okanagan clip where Manager Mike got all flustered with, as someone termed it the TMZ type of questioning. In the interview he mentioned that while some people have cancelled their lessons some others had actually called to book lessons. I am a fan of the mountain and plan on skiing there as soon as they re-open but I have to challenge Manager Mike on that because I tried to call the mountain this morning and went through the directory provided and not one person answered so I'm left to wonder who is taking calls up there?[/quote]

Crystal is not open for skiing Mon-Wed and I am not sure whether they have a lot of staff (or any?) in the offices on those days either. I have called on a few accasions when they are closed (to book lessons or reserve for an upcoming ladies day) and someone has always called me back - usually the same day -so at the very least they have someone monitoring and responding to voicemails on those days so Mike may be well aware of what calls they have received in the last few days. They also have email for people to contact them.
O4chrisake

Post by O4chrisake »

Sunnybunny, anyone who has skied at Crystal Mountain knows full well there days of operation. My question is if Manager Mike is saying people have called to book lessons and no one seems to be answering the phones it doesn't ring true in my opinion.
sunnybunny1

Post by sunnybunny1 »

I didn't see the interview and I don't have an opinion one way or the other but was just pointing out that they always have the voicemail and email and that staff have returned my calls in the past so who says they haven't had messages requesting lessons just like Mike states. No reason to doubt his claim, but again, I didn't see the interview. When you called I assume you had the option to leave a message?
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Once again Castanet nails it with the headline story
" CRYSTAL MOUNTAIN HOPES TO RE-OPEN"
Wow, who knew?

I do like getting comedy and news at the same time. Thank you.
Going today, hear tommorow
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In other news, I hope to win the lottery.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Glacier wrote:In other news, I hope to win the lottery.

I'm anticipating a bowel movement in the next half hour or so.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:In other news, I hope to win the lottery.
LoneWolf_53 wrote:
I'm anticipating a bowel movement in the next half hour or so.

My bet is on Lonewolf
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Some maintenance not being done here?

"A non-functioning tensioning system was also discovered and is being considered as a possible contributing factor to the incident. We have now been able to get the chairlift to an operational state and the next phase of the investigation will require dynamic tests in order to perform further analysis of the installation."

And why was it non functioning????
ktowncichlids

Post by ktowncichlids »

Would never get me back on that mountain. Manager always has been a joke.

I've been stuck on that chair for hours before, IM not even surprised at all by this.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

What is taking so long for an official conclusion of what happened other than the Safety Authority trying to cover their own rear ends because they were not on top of properly inspecting the lift.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

fall wrote:What is taking so long for an official conclusion of what happened other than the Safety Authority trying to cover their own rear ends because they were not on top of properly inspecting the lift.

More conjecture.

Might be an idea, to wait and see, what actual facts come to light.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
    More conjecture.

Might be an idea, to wait and see, what actual facts come to light.
Wait for the actual facts? What's wrong with you? That's crazy talk!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'll (get-lol - wrong word) give the management the benefit of the doubt.
Last edited by Fancy on Mar 11th, 2014, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”