Mobile Home Parks on Boucherie Rd

Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Mobile Home Parks on Boucherie Rd

Post by Bubalouie »

my question had nothing to do with WFN, was just a question regarding pets......and I shall go check out those regulations.........pets have never been allowed and the sign out front says no cats or dogs allowed. A petition was taken around and everyone but 10 people signed it asking for that to be changed. The park owner had stated previously that if majority ruled he would change the ruling....a lot of the people already have indoor cats so they are breaking the rules. There are a lot of homes for sale in the park and one lady had sold her unit twice until the prospective buyers found out that small pets were not allowed. I think the reason so many are for sale is for that very reason...
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kompili wrote:
I guess this goes for condo's also, they are on rented land, an you have to pay a fee each month to live there.
Maybe they are the next trailer parks to go in the future

They are not on rented land but stratafied land. The condo owner actually enjoys a percentage ownership of the dirt.
The monthly fees are not rent but fees collected to maintain the property
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cv23 wrote:They are not on rented land but stratafied land. The condo owner actually enjoys a percentage ownership of the dirt.
The monthly fees are not rent but fees collected to maintain the property

I've always had a bit of a problem swallowing that one.

My elderly mother was in a 200 unit condo, in one of the smallest units available, with monthly strata fees of around the $400 mark.

What I found odd, was that any time a project was undertaken, such as repainting the exterior of the building, which by my logic, sure as heck comes under the heading of maintenance, she would be presented with an invoice for her share, generally some figure around the 3-4K mark.

This causes me to ponder, what exactly the approximate 100K generated per month, actually goes toward? Whoever holds the lawn mowing and snow removal contract, must be getting compensated in a grand fashion, is about all I can think.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

condo ownership has it's downsides too though...my sister bought one in Vancouver and she said the strata fees have risen an incredible amount...they now need the roof redone and every owner must have $15k for their share..the people above her sold to a drug dealer and it's constant noise and strangers going in and out every night all night....the neighbor next door to her started a stove fire and since they share walls, she got smoke damage too...you cannot do anything to your condo unless you have strata approval (she wanted to change a bathroom completely) their vehicle has been damaged in the secure underground parking...so there are downsides in sharing space and walls with others...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ There sure as heck are negative aspects.

In my mother's case it sure as heck wasn't a great investment either.

She owned the place for over twenty five years, paid her share each time major maintenance was done, and upgrades like new carpeting were installed, yet the place is worth little more today, than it was back when she bought it, despite it's location next to one of the largest malls, in the Niagara Peninsula adjacent town she was in.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Mar 6th, 2014, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

westside105 wrote:.they now need the roof redone and every owner must have $15k for their share.

My Mom in White Rock needs to come up with over $30k for repairs to her building!!!

She is 90...good luck with that and she can't sell it either till the building is fixed.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

westside105 wrote:.they now need the roof redone and every owner must have $15k for their share.

Bsuds wrote:My Mom in White Rock needs to come up with over $30k for repairs to her building!!!

She is 90...good luck with that and she can't sell it either till the building is fixed.

I hear you.

As far as I'm concerned, those types of setups are but another of life's many scams.

If the residents are collectively throwing money in the pot each month, for maintenance, then those funds should be going toward precisely that, with visual results as confirmation.

A rough calculation of my mother's case suggests around one and a quarter million being taken in each year, so well over 30 million dollars during her time there, and all that bought was some carpet, paint, and lawn mowing? Oh wait, she had to throw in almost 10K extra for carpet and paint.

Setup has scam written all over it.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

her taxes (my sisters) are also $1500 per yr , whereas my parents owning a mobile went down to $100 per yr (there was something about being over 65 and or having a disability on their property taxes)...but the truly sad part nowadays is there is no real affordable housing for anybody anymore...I doubt many of this generation will ever be home owners cause the prices are just too insane...and even if you do end up paying it off, the constant tax increases and the heating bills can easily hit big bucks every mth...there seems to be no middle class anymore...you're either poor, just making it or rich...sad

(and yup Bsuds, my sister cannot sell her condo either until she comes up with her share or she takes it off her asking price)
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

But at least when your relatives do sell their older condo units they will get some return and they can not be forced to leave until they want to because they actually own a portion of the dirt they live on.
When a mobile home owner goes to sell their old unit, forced or by choice, they may get nothing as the structure may be worth nothing because it can't be moved to a new park due to age and they don't own the dirt it sits on. They have chosen a very low cost residence where they only rent the dirt so will get a very low return, if any, as a result of that choice. Not much different than renting an apartment.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

cv23 wrote:But at least when your relatives do sell their older condo units they will get some return and they can not be forced to leave until they want to because they actually own a portion of the dirt they live on.
When a mobile home owner goes to sell their old unit, forced or by choice, they may get nothing as the structure may be worth nothing because it can't be moved to a new park due to age and they don't own the dirt it sits on. They have chosen a very low cost residence where they only rent the dirt so will get a very low return, if any, as a result of that choice. Not much different than renting an apartment.

My friend was in a mobile home that he bought five years ago for 30 thousand, he just sold it for 70 thousand. And the pad rental is not just for renting the space your trailer sit on, it is for snow removal and taking care of the park in the summer, and other things.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

My friend was in a mobile home that he bought five years ago for 30 thousand, he just sold it for 70 thousand. And the pad rental is not just for renting the space your trailer sit on, it is for snow removal and taking care of the park in the summer, and other things.[/quote]

Did they have a mobile in one of these parks?
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

GoStumpy wrote:I also live in a MHP on WFN land, but not waterfront. When I was buying here in 2007, my real estate agent was very adamant that I should not live in the waterfront parks, as they would be first to go. I fortunately listened and I doubt our park will go anytime soon :)

If you check the wfn site you will see that 2 0r 3 of the waterfront parks have 99 year head leases going into 2100. http://www.wfn.ca/docs/wfn_mobile_home_ ... ectory.pdf

http://www.wfn.ca/docs/manufactured_hom ... 091019.pdf These are the rules for development of MHP parks
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
I've always had a bit of a problem swallowing that one.

My elderly mother was in a 200 unit condo, in one of the smallest units available, with monthly strata fees of around the $400 mark.

What I found odd, was that any time a project was undertaken, such as repainting the exterior of the building, which by my logic, sure as heck comes under the heading of maintenance, she would be presented with an invoice for her share, generally some figure around the 3-4K mark.

This causes me to ponder, what exactly the approximate 100K generated per month, actually goes toward? Whoever holds the lawn mowing and snow removal contract, must be getting compensated in a grand fashion, is about all I can think.

The costs are determined yearly by the budget for operating the strata. Those costs are divided according to unit entitlement and shared by all owners on a monthly basis according to their unit size. There is no "profit" and the books are open and the budget is voted on yearly. All costs, including the snow removal and lawn mowing, are shown in the budget and can be discussed by any owner at the AGM.
There is an allocation to a contingency reserve but big unexpected things can generate special assessments. This is simply a choice of the strata council. There is now a trend towards boosting the strata fees a large amount to cover all future obligations. This will have a negative effect on condos since it gives a more accurate view of the costs involved with some of these buildings.
You and 71 others Like this post
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

madlady wrote:I don't know why WFN or the family that owns the land where the four Mobile home parks are on Boucherie road are changing all the rules for the Parks ?...

...they do nothing in these parks ..they pay big money in pad rent and the pad rents keeps going up and up ...you would think with all the trailers that pay pad rent there monthly ..how much that ends up a year ???? greed greed greed !!!

Sorry to go back on topic, but I am curious. Over and above 'pad fees/rental' does anyone on WFN land pay any kind of 'property tax', and if so, to WFN or Gov't BC?

And, do you receive, utility bills such as electric, gas, water, sewer and if so, to WFN or utility companies?

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Jim Dixon wrote:
Sorry to go back on topic, but I am curious. Over and above 'pad fees/rental' does anyone on WFN land pay any kind of 'property tax', and if so, to WFN or Gov't BC? Property tax - WFN.

And, do you receive, utility bills such as electric, gas, water, sewer and if so, to WFN or utility companies? Hydro - BC Hydro, Gas - Fortis BC. Water, sewer, garbage, recycling, snow removal and yard waste is included in the monthly pad fee.

j
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”