Info on Peachland please

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Info on Peachland please

Post by Glacier »

There's no reason to worry about retiring in the land with no peaches (AKA Peachland). Old people love Peachland:

Median age:

Kelowna = 42.8
    Vancouver = 39.8
    Abbotsford = 37.8

Peachland = 53.8
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Robin Hood

Post by Robin Hood »

Glacier wrote:There's no reason to worry about retiring in the land with no peaches (AKA Peachland). Old people love Peachland:

Median age:

Kelowna = 42.8
    Vancouver = 39.8
    Abbotsford = 37.8

Peachland = 53.8

??
No peaches....
we have two Peach Orchards; Ryder's Peaches (Drought Hill) are the very best you can get.
Ok, so we have many seniors, but seniors last longer in Peachland because they enjoy life so much more.
The volunteers at the Wellness centre make sure that we don't need hospitals too often.
What more can I say.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't; you're right.
midfielder

Post by midfielder »

Just want to thank everyone who has commented so far. The information has been very helpful...both pro and con. We love Peachland and are aware and thankful of the information re the commute for hospitals. We are both in good health and, God willing, that will remain. But let me share a story that, for me, puts things in perspective regarding proximity to hospitals.

In 2009 I had a kidney stone in Vancouver and was able to reach Vancouver General Hospital in 15 minutes. However,once there I waited 7 hours before I saw a doctor..by which time the stone had passed. In 2011 I had another kidney stone, this time at Apex mountain. We were able to reach Penticton General hospital in 25 minutes. Once there I saw a doctor within 20 minutes AND they apologized later for the delay! I was treated extremely well and extremely quickly by the staff at Penticton General Hospital.

Everyone's experiences are different, but my own suggest that when you consider the actual time to get to a doctor at a hospital there is nothing wrong with the proximity to Health Care in the Central Okanagan relative to Vancouver. Granted though, I've lived in Vancouver all my life, not the Okanagan.

PS Cutting down on coca cola, as advised, has stopped me from getting kidney stones..
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ So you've switched to Pepsi now?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
midfielder

Post by midfielder »

Ha no, just diluted the coke more often with rye..
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Peachland is a beautiful place. If your an outdoors man, there is excellent hunting, camping, snowmobiling and fly-fishing close by, as well as a magnificent lake in front of you.

Peachland requires mobility. You must drive to function, so if you don't drive, it would be a poor choice. As well, when people consider retiring, and you age, if you have to stop driving, you will have to move.

Hospitals are an issue, but you are cognizant of those issues. The Kelowna General Hospital is in the final stages of implementing a modern heart surgery ward. That means that old retired people can have their bypasses done here instead of going to Vancouver.

The one issue that I would be careful with is in property selection, is that the 2 lane highway will someday be enlarged to a 4 or 6 lane highway, so choose a residential area away from the highway.

I think that Peachland would be a wonderful place to retire, with the thought that you may have to relocate again in 10 to 20 years as your mobility becomes an issue.

Return to “Central Okanagan”