Frisk
Guru

Downed power line?

Post by Frisk »

Jx3
Übergod

Re: Downed power line?

Post by Jx3 »

Quailize wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-111287-101-.htm#111287

How does a power line just fall down?

Gravity?
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

In all seriousness though, the power line to the house ran right over the hedge that was on fire. I have to wonder if perhaps it was the fire that burned through the power line causing it to fall rather than the power line falling and starting the fire.

There have been several cedar hedge fires nearby in recent months, one just a couple blocks away from this most recent one.

If the fire was already raging when Ms Poppy (that's a familiar name in the Castanet forums) saw the wire on the ground it is plausible that the fire caused the line to fall not the other way around.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I've seen some older places, where the power to the home was attached to a wood post, as opposed to the steel pipes we see nowadays.

Some of those posts I noted were quite rotted and leaning towards the street power pole the lines originate from.

Not saying that's the case here, but I could see it happen in some instances, as those cables are quite heavy and under tension.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I've seen some older places, where the power to the home was attached to a wood post, as opposed to the steel pipes we see nowadays.

Some of those posts I noted were quite rotted and leaning towards the street power pole the lines originate from.

Not saying that's the case here, but I could see it happen in some instances, as those cables are quite heavy and under tension.

Yup, agreed, that could easily be a case where the line just falls.

Return to “Central Okanagan”