Bering Music closed?

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Bering Music closed?

Post by gardengirl »

People might want to try to get a hold of the owners of the building.
If the business has been closed due to bankruptcy or something, the assets including all inventory may have been seized.
If you have property in the building, you will need to prove that it belongs to you, not the store, and apply to have it released.
Otherwise, it may well be sold at auction.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
cinisterly

Post by cinisterly »

They have gone out of business for sure. I received an email that a drum teacher from there would be joining the music school my son attends because of it. Hope those who have instruments there get them back soon!
TheGerren

Post by TheGerren »

I went by there today to see what was going on. There were a couple moving trucks outside and the store was mostly empty. There was a gentleman there that identified himself as a bailiff. I managed to get my guitar back, 6 weeks late, and no repairs made. At this point I'm just glad to have it.

If they have something of yours, I would look in to how you could get your things back.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

TheGerren wrote:I went by there today to see what was going on. There were a couple moving trucks outside and the store was mostly empty. There was a gentleman there that identified himself as a bailiff. I managed to get my guitar back, 6 weeks late, and no repairs made. At this point I'm just glad to have it.

If they have something of yours, I would look in to how you could get your things back.

I'm glad you got your axe back! I almost brought mine in for a tune up at the kelowna store, but didn't. I think I'll take her to wentworth music.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

So guess that means the gift certificates we recently purchased but not yet used are worthless now. I suppose that's a risk you take you you choose to try to support small local businesses.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Jx3 wrote:So guess that means the gift certificates we recently purchased but not yet used are worthless now. I suppose that's a risk you take you you choose to try to support small local businesses.

It is, It also shows what kind of people are out there doing business when they know they are doomed and about to shut down yet pretend everything is fine and have no problem collecting peoples money and or guitars as in this case.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Jx3 wrote:So guess that means the gift certificates we recently purchased but not yet used are worthless now. I suppose that's a risk you take you you choose to try to support small local businesses.

fall wrote:It is, It also shows what kind of people are out there doing business when they know they are doomed and about to shut down yet pretend everything is fine and have no problem collecting peoples money and or guitars as in this case.

Or it could be that a struggling small business was trying to turn things around. If you let people know you are in trouble, it can cause your own demise. I feel for the owners. It is a very difficult economy. They have been around for a long time. It could not be easy for them to watch their business slip from their fingers. It sounds like they held on as long as they possibly could. When the bailiffs come it, everything stops. They may not have even known they were being shut down.

As for gift certificates, they probably had no idea what was out there which was not yet redeemed. The people who got the certificates knew they had them. There was an opportunity for them to use them. No malice there on the part of the store owner.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Or it could be that a struggling small business was trying to turn things around. If you let people know you are in trouble, it can cause your own demise. I feel for the owners. It is a very difficult economy. They have been around for a long time. It could not be easy for them to watch their business slip from their fingers. It sounds like they held on as long as they possibly could. When the bailiffs come it, everything stops. They may not have even known they were being shut down.

There is going out of business with dignity and then this way. The bailiffs are a last resort and it is a slow process they knew months in advance they were done and should have just accepted that and closed on a high note so to speak.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

gardengirl wrote: The people who got the certificates knew they had them. There was an opportunity for them to use them. No malice there on the part of the store owner.

There's a lot of assumptions on your part there. Yes, I suppose there was an opportunity to redeem them but, I don't know about you, but normally when I purchase a gift certificate it does not typically get redeemed the next day or not even the next week quite often. Maybe you prefer to do your gift shopping at the very last minute but I don't.

The gift certificates in question were purchased towards the end of February so a little more than a month or so ago give or take a few days. They were given as gifts to my son on his birthday (March 11th) to be used for the guitar lessons that he had been asking for.

As it turns out the store has been closed since the beginning of March so the GC's were worthless just days after they were purchased and before my son ever saw them.

I never claimed there was any malice on the part of the store owner (or whoever it was that sold me the GC's) but what qualifies you to say that there wasn't? As it turned out, unbeknownst to me at the time, the Kelowna location had just recently closed it doors and the West Kelowna location was just days away from it's doors being closed. Somebody had to have known the end was near at that point, sadly it wasn't me.

Having said that I'm out $50, unfortunate but not the end of the world I suppose. Will just make me a little more cautious when it comes to dealing with small businesses, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Perhaps whoever was teaching guitar lessons there would be willing to honour the gift certificates. Have you asked?

That would only pay for one or two depending on the rate. So if a teacher wanted to get a long-term student, it might not be a bad idea to throw a little goodwill to you and get a new client.

You might still be able to recoup the value of the gift certificates if you make an effort to contact the teacher.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

Maybe Wentworth may honour them. I have known of places doing that when another business fails. Worst they could say is no, maybe they might like a few new customers. Worth a try.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

DeepEnd wrote:Maybe Wentworth may honour them. I have known of places doing that when another business fails. Worst they could say is no, maybe they might like a few new customers. Worth a try.

The guy who owned Bering Music, and worked at the one on 97, is now working at Wentworth Music as a salesman
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
Garrison

Post by Garrison »

kompili wrote:
The guy who owned Bering Music, and worked at the one on 97, is now working at Wentworth Music as a salesman

He was an employee, and is completely uninvolved in the closing situation. He found new employment ... as any employee would do.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Kelowna Courier on Friday March 28th at the end of the ads where legal notices are placed. Bering to be sold by bailiff auction in Vernon on April 9. It lists the things they have up for auction. Bankruptcy was filed.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It's too bad really. Drew was a good guy but I think that the pressures of the economy over the past several years and opening the second location finally came knocking.

I have seen many small, successful businesses close after opening a second location. The theory that if one is good, two will be great doesn't always work.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”