Great Dane "Attack"

gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Great Dane "Attack"

Post by gman313 »

Xia33 wrote:is it possible that the owner of the large dog left out of fear of losing her dog (which doesn't excuse not checking on Abby to make sure she was okay) through RDCO as in similar situations previously? He said/she said maybe? Not too long ago, a situation like this could have been taken care of in a sensible, common sense manner between the two owners....not so much any more. witch hunt it is, imo.

Totally agreed. Lawyers and politicians have ruined common sense
laurar

Post by laurar »

Xia33 wrote:is it possible that the owner of the large dog left out of fear of losing her dog (which doesn't excuse not checking on Abby to make sure she was okay) through RDCO as in similar situations previously? He said/she said maybe? Not too long ago, a situation like this could have been taken care of in a sensible, common sense manner between the two owners....not so much any more. witch hunt it is, imo.

Could not agree more.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Triple 6 wrote:I'm glad the hound is ok. To the owner - you failed your dog. end of story.

Yeah, exactly. This is what this is about. The poor hound, ultimately got bit, because the owner failed to see the dogs personality, and protect it by putting it on a leash.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Both owners could have done things better.

But regardless - if your dog attacks another dog without strong provocation (running up quickly is not strong provocation) you are responsible for your dog.

The Great Dane's owner is mostly to blame here for not controlling an aggressive dog. By the way this owner took off, I highly doubt this is the 1st time this animal has shown aggressive behavior.

Yes, the hound's owner could have done things better, but to suggest she is mostly at fault (or even 50%) is just asinine. People on castanet seem to want to hold parents responsible for their children's actions, but not a dog owner for their dog's actions.

This can all be boiled down to: The dog attacked another dog. It wasn't on the owners property, it wasn't threatened (regardless of whether it perceived a threat) and it wasn't defending itself, the owner, or some property. Anything else is just a minor detail and should be treated as such.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

TylerM4 wrote:Both owners could have done things better.

But regardless - if your dog attacks another dog without strong provocation (running up quickly is not strong provocation) you are responsible for your dog.

The Great Dane's owner is mostly to blame here for not controlling an aggressive dog. By the way this owner took off, I highly doubt this is the 1st time this animal has shown aggressive behavior.

Yes, the hound's owner could have done things better, but to suggest she is mostly at fault (or even 50%) is just asinine. People on castanet seem to want to hold parents responsible for their children's actions, but not a dog owner for their dog's actions.

This can all be boiled down to: The dog attacked another dog. It wasn't on the owners property, it wasn't threatened (regardless of whether it perceived a threat) and it wasn't defending itself, the owner, or some property. Anything else is just a minor detail and should be treated as such.

As is the owner/s of the loose, excited dog that loves all animals. Obviously you were there? Are you a dog behaviourist or simply a friend. The smaller dog, by the owner's admission, jumped out of the truck, etc. OFF LEASH which, if the area is within rdco, is illegal to begin with. If the larger dog was off leash as well, same applies. IF the larger dog was on leash, the fault is on the owners of the smaller dog. Very simple to figure out.
Dogs do not think like humans...they do not reason like humans..."perceived threat" is simply a threat, and how would you know the large dog wasn't protecting either his owner or himself....because Abby is a sweet dog that loves all ? Children have the ability to communicate and reason .... Dogs do not...they act like dogs do, hardly a comparison, IMO.
Granted, the owner of the large dog should have stayed and talked to Abby's owners...but with the way situations like this are dealt with within the rdco, it would be pretty intimidating (not an excuse) and she likely panicked.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

People who do not leash their dogs are taking great risks.

Yes, a leash may be inconvenient; get over it. As we can see here, the alternative might be worse.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

kgcayenne wrote:People who do not leash their dogs are taking great risks.

Yes, a leash may be inconvenient; get over it. As we can see here, the alternative might be worse.

Yep! if it was a cougar sitting up in a tree the dog would have been less lucky
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 26th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

alfred2 wrote:why would anyone in a city want a dog the size of a small horse as a pet , stupid.

Seriously?... Not every home is a 1 bedroom apartment you know.

Great Danes are actually only low to moderately active and make great house-dogs. They are better for house dogs than many smaller breeds which require much more outdoor space in their everyday activity.
On a different forum
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Temperament

The Great Dane's large and imposing appearance belies its friendly nature. The breed is often referred to as a "gentle giant".[1] Great Danes are generally well disposed toward other dogs, other non-canine pets, and familiar humans. They generally do not exhibit extreme aggressiveness or a high prey drive.[41] The Great Dane is a very gentle and loving animal and with the proper care and training is great around children, especially when being raised with them. However, if not properly socialized a Great Dane may become fearful or aggressive towards new stimuli, such as strangers and new environments.

Great Danes are a breed recommended for families provided that they get trained early and onwards, regarded by animal experts due to their preference for sitting on and leaning against owners as 'the world's biggest 'lapdog."

A little history on the Great Dane breed. Also, contrary to many people's misguided opinions, Great Danes were never bred to be guard or attack dogs for the Queen's Army. They were always bred as a hunting dog.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

This situation happened for one reason. Both owners had their dogs off leash. Dogs can be unpredictable to one another in that situation. They are usually both trying to be the alpha/dominant dog. It is 100% natural dog behaviour.

I used to have a Malamute/Wolf hybrid dog. All the "scared" dog people would say how unpredictable my dog shoud be, because of the wolf DNA.

Now owning a true wolf hybrid is a bit different to train, than a regular dog breed, it is not impossible. That .0001 diferent dna to a wolf, can make a difference.

I got that dog from 8 weeks old, and he became the best dog I ever owned.

Now to the story...I came home from work one night, probably around 1 a.m. I took Snooker (my dogs name) out for a walk. We only made it 2 houses down when the neighbours Pit Bull approached us. I tried to scare the Pit off, but it didn't work. It ended up attacking my dog. Bottom line, my wolf kicked the Pit sensless.

2 days later, the neighbour came to me trying to make me pay for the vet bill for her dog.

Uh, no. I was walking my dog at 2 a.m. ON leash. Your dog showed up and attacked, and LOST the fight.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

FSmith59 wrote:Now to the story...I came home from work one night, probably around 1 a.m. I took Snooker (my dogs name) out for a walk. We only made it 2 houses down when the neighbours Pit Bull approached us. I tried to scare the Pit off, but it didn't work. It ended up attacking my dog. Bottom line, my wolf kicked the Pit sensless.

2 days later, the neighbour came to me trying to make me pay for the vet bill for her dog.

Uh, no. I was walking my dog at 2 a.m. ON leash. Your dog showed up and attacked, and LOST the fight.

Looks like a few more dogs and possibly owners need their *bleep* wupped. Might instill sense into both of them...
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Something I'm thinking about... even if the Dane WAS leashed, if the little dog came running at it, the Dane could easily do that damage on a leash... a leash isn't a muzzle, if the little dog is in range the Dane could either defend itself or it's owner, on a leash or not.

I doubt it went running after the other dog and bit it, the other dog was probably posing a threat according to the Dane.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

The hound that got bit was 90 lbs, so not a little dog getting attacked by a big dog. The owner of the hound admitted her dog went up to the GD, not the other way around. She said her dog was running around excitedly, which makes me think her dog excitedly approached the GD. Sounds to me like it was one dog harshly reprimanding another dog for rudely running up to it. Sure, the GD maybe didn't have to react so strongly, but the hound shouldn't have been rude either. The GD may have been politely ignoring the hound, as a signal it wasn't interested in a friendship. It wasn't up to the hound to decide a greeting was in order, it was up to the owners. A call out of "is your dog friendly?", then recall your dog away if the answer is "not today", etc. If you're at a dog park, the expectation is that your dog is open to greetings. If you're out in the general public, no such expectation even if the dogs are off leash. And they shouldn't be off leash if their recall isn't 1000% rock solid. Their life depends on it.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

** PLEASE SHARE***

My dog Abagale was attacked by a large grey/blue great dane!! We were up trepanier rd. The women was walking her dog when Abagale was running around our trucks her dog charged mine and bite her face and violently shook her causing deep puncture wounds. The women did nothing to stop the fight when my dog ran away from hers she ran to her truck and sped off without saying a word or leaving any or her information. Abby was taken to the vet where she had to have surgery to fight infection!! You can imagine that wasn't cheap to the tune of $810!! This women and her dangerous dog need to be found before any more harm to animals or possibly people can be inflicted!! The owner was a blonde women wearing bright colored jacket with blue and pink stripes. She drove a black Cadillac Escalade her dog was a large breed blue/grey great dane ( we think ). She could possibly walk her dog often in peachland. Please share so she can be found and take responsibility for the pain inflicted on my hound!! If you have any information please contact me via private message or **********. Thank you!!

The above came across my facebook feed. Friends are "sharing" what the hounds owner has put up on facebook. A little bit different than what she told Castanet.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Both dogs off-leash = both owners negligent. Credibility? Nada.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Central Okanagan”