Great Dane "Attack"

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Great Dane "Attack"

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#111772

There are some things about this report that sound off to me.

Lady is walking here large dog : I suspect large dog was on leash.
Lady ran to her truck : Did great dane follow , or was it on a leash ?
Abby jumps out of truck , all excited and running around ( not on leash ? ! ) , but suddenly is " nonchalant " when " walking " up to the larger dog.

I personally don't like Pitt bulls or the people who defend them so pasionately on many threads , but in this particular incident , I don't think the breed has much to do with the story. I would have the same questions as above even if it was a Pitt Bull instead of a great dane. It sounds to me more like atleast one person , maybe two , failing to control their dog.

The other party , taking off without saying a word could be a sign of an owner who does not want to accept any responsibility for injuries caused by their dog , or , could be a sign of an owner who does not feel like they deserve to get "blanked" over by the owner of another dog who may have been the cause of the problem.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Great Dane "Attack"

Post by gman313 »

The story has been updated to say both dogs were off leash.

I highly doubt the attacked dog was not partially at fault. This is what dogs do.

Let the witch hunt begin
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

“According to Quinn both dogs were off-leash and running free from their owners. “

If you fail to control your dog, you are responsible for your dog’s actions, if you let your dog out and another dog is around you should be prepared for the worst. Keep your dog on a leash and you control the situation, let your dog run free and two wrongs will not be an acceptable explanation when things go wrong.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

The biggest problem I see her, is that even if both dogs were off leash, the one dog that got bit, charged over to the great dane- if your dog is crazy like that, it should always be on a leash, if you know it will run. Not ever human or other dogs like a charging dog.

I used to have a great dane. This story sounds within a Great Danes nature. They are the friendliest of dogs, but if you approach them in the manner like this dog did, and they get startled, they could bite.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I'm glad the hound is ok. To the owner - you failed your dog. end of story.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
laurar

Post by laurar »

This story has me royally bent out of shape. I have a 3 year old Australian Shepherd who LOVES dogs. He is friendly, outgoing and social. But he is also A DOG. An animal. I can't read his mind, I don't know when he feels afraid or nervous or threatened. His primal instincts will over come any training or obedience we have ever taught him under the wrong circumstances. There is one VERY simple way I prevent my dog from finding himself in an undesirable situation. A LEASH! If this woman's dog (the hound) lept out of the car, running around, excited and out of control then came running at another dog - both of whom were unleashed - and was attacked? It is clearly the fault of the owner who chose not to leash their dog. It sounds like the Great Dane was minding his own business when he was approached. I can't believe Castanet would run this biased, one sided story about a woman who is just upset she had to fork over money for a vet bill when she is clearly admitting she is at fault.
laurar

Post by laurar »

Not to mention it is my responsibility (and only mine) to keep my dog safe. He wears a leash right into the off leash park. After a quick assessment, he is removed from his leash. Responsibly dog ownership is more than just giving them some food and water. I wonder if the RDCO will ticket this woman for keeping her dog off leash ;)
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

why would anyone in a city want a dog the size of a small horse as a pet , stupid.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

If both dogs were off leash, then both owners are at fault.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

alfred2 wrote:why would anyone in a city want a dog the size of a small horse as a pet , stupid.
There are lots of properties around Peachland that can easily house a mastiff-type dog. It's unfortunate that neither owner had their dogs under control.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

This is fantastic. Probably the only logical discussion in the history of castanet forums :)
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

Abby has been to my house lots, there are three dogs on our property, and ironically, a Dane across the street. She would not "provoke", she is too docile for that,,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT BEING SAID, should BOTH dogs have been on a leash, you bet,,,,,,is there 50/50 liability here,,,,,,you bet,,,,,,,,,What bothers me is that the woman just takes off, without seeing if the dog is ok or offering up any information. That vet bill should be split between both owners, and at least castanet updated it, so it wasn't quite so one sided. Brittany is a VERY responsible pet owner, and even the best of the best slip up. Hubby and I hope that Abby heals up really quickly.
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

RacerChic wrote:Abby has been to my house lots, there are three dogs on our property, and ironically, a Dane across the street. She would not "provoke", she is too docile for that,,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT BEING SAID, should BOTH dogs have been on a leash, you bet,,,,,,is there 50/50 liability here,,,,,,you bet,,,,,,,,,What bothers me is that the woman just takes off, without seeing if the dog is ok or offering up any information. That vet bill should be split between both owners, and at least castanet updated it, so it wasn't quite so one sided. Brittany is a VERY responsible pet owner, and even the best of the best slip up. Hubby and I hope that Abby heals up really quickly.

Actually if Abby's dog ran up to the Great Dane I would say like 90/10 split with Abby paying 90. The only mistake the Great Dane's owner made was having her dog off leash. It was likely the behavior of Abby's dog that brought on the attack. Docile or not it was a quick approach and startled the Great Dane. animals are animals

Yes the owner should have stayed. Doesn't change liability though
laurar

Post by laurar »

RacerChic wrote:Abby has been to my house lots, there are three dogs on our property, and ironically, a Dane across the street. She would not "provoke", she is too docile for that,,,,,,,,,,,,,THAT BEING SAID, should BOTH dogs have been on a leash, you bet,,,,,,is there 50/50 liability here,,,,,,you bet,,,,,,,,,What bothers me is that the woman just takes off, without seeing if the dog is ok or offering up any information. That vet bill should be split between both owners, and at least castanet updated it, so it wasn't quite so one sided. Brittany is a VERY responsible pet owner, and even the best of the best slip up. Hubby and I hope that Abby heals up really quickly.

To say that she would "never" provoke another dog is besides the point. A dog could perceive a happy, bounding and excited dog coming at him as a threat. I agree that the woman should not have taken off. I would without a doubt check to make sure her dog is okay. But I don't agree that the bill should be 50/50. By letting your dog run off leash, you do so at your own risk. If your dog is injured, bit, attacked etc. than that is the risk you are assuming by letting them off leash. I can agree that accidents happen, though, and I am glad Abby is okay. I hope this will teach the owners of these dogs as well as others who read the story how important it is to have control of your dog at all times.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

is it possible that the owner of the large dog left out of fear of losing her dog (which doesn't excuse not checking on Abby to make sure she was okay) through RDCO as in similar situations previously? He said/she said maybe? Not too long ago, a situation like this could have been taken care of in a sensible, common sense manner between the two owners....not so much any more. witch hunt it is, imo.

Return to “Central Okanagan”