Great Dane "Attack"

Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Great Dane "Attack"

Post by Daspoot »

Sorry, but it's kinda un-realistic to think dogs are always going to be on-leash, Yes I know it's illegal in many (most) areas, yes you take you chance because probably less than 2% of dogs have a 100% recall at command. Yes dogs sometimes fight, yes a huge percentage of dogs may fight or bite if put in the exact wrong situation, yes if your dog is off leash where it shouldn't be you get a chunk of the fault in an incident like this one.

....But if your dog attacks and injures another dog, it's mostly on you. At that point you need to man-up and face the music, not ditch. Ditching is the big crime here. The dogs just did what dogs sometimes do.

Life's brutal, nature's brutal, dogs can be brutal, and the repercussions can be brutal. That's why we get memories and tear-ducts. Man-up, apologize, offer to pay or help on the pet bills, face the music. You don't have to like it, but you do need to act like a responsible adult. the Bitee owner needs to act like an adult and not seek vengeance and accept their smaller part of the responsibility too.

Poop happens everyday out there.
On a different forum
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

kgcayenne wrote:Both dogs off-leash = both owners negligent. Credibility? Nada.

Because someones dog is off leash they are not credibile ?

Please share with us how you get your dog in and out of the vehicle without it ever being off leash.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dogspoiler wrote:Please share with us how you get your dog in and out of the vehicle without it ever being off leash.

Always do it with a leash on - it's very easy with any size dog. I don't see how there is a problem.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

After I said that, I googled it - funny there's a video for everything. Here ya go:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2349215_get-dog-car.html
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Thanks KG, Love the new pic.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You asked how - now you know.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I asked KG how she dealt with her dog. I still have not been told.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If a dog is running around it's obviously not under control and there is zero reason not to have a dog leashed getting in and out of a vehicle unless one is absolutely certain there is zero chance of a conflict (vehicles/people/animals).
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

My point was more that a walk on the leash just doesn't do it for DPA for a lot of breeds, or just young dogs in general. Add into that many owners with advanced age or mobility problems (or just plain out of shape people) that preclude multi-kilometer walks. and really you come to the conclusion that off-leash time is pretty much a reality for most people with dogs.

Any place half-way decent for off-leash, anywhere close to populations is going to have multiple dogs off-lease on any given day. that's going to lead to the odd doggy skirmish.

Yes if your dog makes a habit of these skirmishes, you should take proper precautions, like not going, going somewhere where an encounter is less likely, a muzzle, or keeping Rex on-leash.

Those who say your dogs on-leash or have a 100% recall just aren't being realistic. And as much as that would be an ideal situation, it's not going to happen. Setting an impossible target is just asking for people to not hit it.
On a different forum
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:Both dogs off-leash = both owners negligent. Credibility? Nada.

My post, badly flawed due to sloppy fingers on a new phone (and I’m not going to even try to explain what I think happened there). The part that wound up being cut from the post was my thoughts about the injured dog owner’s story changing between the FB post and the Castanet article.
dogspoiler wrote:Because someones dog is off leash they are not credibile ?

Please share with us how you get your dog in and out of the vehicle without it ever being off leash.

* I grew up with dogs, big dogs. But that was a long time ago. Some differences between now and then are:
It appears to me that fewer people had dogs, and those who did also had sizeable yards in which said dogs could play and there was no need to daily cart one’s dog around.
* Today, lot sizes are smaller and dogs are quite a trend to the point that we have insurance coverage and TV programs all about dogs and their care.
*Due to this increasing trend we are now at a point where dogs of any size can be found in condos and townhouses.
Condo & townhouse strata developments and small-lot-subdivisions along with their neighbourhood associations are limiting whether dog owners can let their dogs out to play/toilet.
* The restrictions imposed by stratas and neighbourhood associations mean that dog owners have to daily run/play/poo their dogs elsewhere.
* Now these dog owners need dog parks, because historically, dogs were very restricted in parks and green space.

I live in a townhouse, and not one member of the family is on a schedule to look after the multiple doggy outings required, so we don’t have one. Besides, I think it’s cruel to have a dog locked up all friggin’ day in a townhouse or condo, I invite anyone predisposed to do so to hate on me for that opinion because I stand by it, and if you have your dog locked up all day long in a condo or townhouse, you are mean.

One of the things I learned from my dad is how to love a dog. My dad took great care of our family’s dogs; he still does. The dogs we had when I was young sat when told to do so; it took work to train them, but it was worth it. Therefore, if we were to move to a place with a yard (larger than a postage stamp) AND the family’s schedule changed, we might get a dog. We would train that dog to always wait for a leash.

Wouldn’t it mean one lacks control over their dog if it can’t be leashed before exiting the vehicle? I’ll state again, when a dog owner makes the choice to not have a dog on a leash, they are taking a risk.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Apparently, I'm mean.

Tell me, how my dog is while home alone.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Dogs are pack animals; social.

http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-care/dogs-home-alone-all-day/

I'm old-school; despite wanting to have a dog very much (always had one growing up) I just don't have the schedule to be with and train a puppy (or two) so we don't have dogs. I can't see abandoning them for hours at a time. It helps if you have more than one, so they have the company for the times you need to leave them.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Lady tehMa wrote: I can't see abandoning them for hours at a time. It

Lady, you say that so much nicer than I.

GoStumpy wrote:Apparently, I'm mean.

Tell me, how my dog is while home alone.

LOL, so that's the only thing you understood from my post.

As for your dog: Your dog feels alone. Your dog misses you.

But hey, if you like the ego trip of your dog going all happy and nuts to greet you when you get home, that's your business.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Wait, this is a thread about GoStumpy's dog?

Should I change the title?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

We got really off topic. Here's my attempt to tie it back in:

There are lots of people who should not have dogs but do. The two dogs in this incident were just being dogs. The owners were not being good owners. If a person can not get a leash onto the dog before it's out of the vehicle, there's a lack of control there, and that has been proven to be a risky thing.

Return to “Central Okanagan”