Ponderosa Golf Course in Peachland

Bibbs

Re: Ponderosa Golf Course in Peachland

Post by Bibbs »

Nope no clubhouse there. I completely agree with you. We are new to our house but all our Neighbors and others have the same point about building course first or leaving the old one there. You are correct on occupancy but supposedly that will all be taken care of as well as residence that were started will be finished then also. The monitor from the courts gave these recommendations and court agreed to them. That's just from following the bankruptcy links that were posted. My in laws have been told different stories and it was a lot of-- well get started again in 2 weeks. That story gets old when it goes on for months. Info from developer has to be taken with grain of salt
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

matai wrote:
Mwell, that's a bare minimum estimate.

They want to add 5,000 population (mostly rich retired people with a car each) add to that the golf course traffic, the hotel traffic as well as the winery traffic, as well as the traffic from existing roads already connecting to it.

Remember that what goes up must come down so 5,000 cars going up is also 5,000 cars going down....

And even if some traffic is sent to Princeton Ave, that's a lot of extra traffic rolling down the hill and attempting to make left turns onto Highway 97 parking lot whenever they wanna hit the shopping centre or the big city.

So thinking about it it would be more like 10,000 vehicles a day, all going through a steep goat trail leading to one traffic light on Highway 97? Sure, that works.

Lets not forget about the other huge potential development that Peachland seems to think it needs. New Monaco will also have a huge potential traffic impact IF it ever gets beyond a few homes and a pile of dirt.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

What is New Monaco...haven't heard of that one.........
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

youhavegottobekidding wrote:What is New Monaco...haven't heard of that one.........

http://www.newmonaco.ca/

Pretty much another Ponderosa without the golf
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ It appears to have a green light to go: http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... reen-light
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

GordonH wrote:^^^ It appears to have a green light to go: http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... reen-light

Yeah, a future home for 5000 residents it says. It neglects to say just how Peachland and West Kelowna is going to handle all that extra traffic generated by all these new people looking to shop, work and play in the area. A complete widening road project or bypasses for Peachland and Westbank appear to be off the radar for the foreseeable future and we still only have the one "big school" that is Mount Boucherie.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Surely with the increase of 5000 more people in that area, they will build a new school to handle the increase of students that could be expected. Or perhaps the anticipation is that most of the new residents who will occupy the new development are to be retired persons? That is not what this area needs. More young families and people in their working, productive years is what is needed IMO.
northernlighter

Post by northernlighter »

Has anyone heard of any recent developments? Is this project still moving along? There's been rumblings of bankruptcy, was wondering if this had been verified? Is the golf course just a pipe dream now? I'd overheard some talk about Greg Norman having pulled his name from the project, but still see his face on the developments website?
Bibbs

Post by Bibbs »

My in laws moved into their place a few months back. Think most of the residents are in their now. They are continuing to finish the other units and are starting to build a few others. When I spoke to them in the sales office about a month ago, they said they are restructuring a plan to build the clubhouse and open 9 holes. This is to start bringing some cash into the course. The front 9 holes are all complete with I think 4 have been seeded, although the weeds are taking over. The clubhouse would bring in money from weddings and food also.
The project did file for bankruptcy but a mediator recommended more money to be lent in order to finish the homes. This was deemed the best way for the lender to get some money back.
The info I found was through a gov link about bankruptcy. The other info is from sales office (take with a grain of salt) and seeing whats going on as we live in one of the houses on the course as well as in laws live in the new development.
There always seems to be alot of stories and we just go with the saying "believe it when we see it"
rotti
Board Meister

Post by rotti »

I have a few friends that that that are involved with one of the major trades for the project and Bibbs is corect. Funds will be made available through some kind of bankruptcy mediator at a controlled pace for a select number of homes at a time. It is going to be a long term project and I feel sorry for all the folks up there that had this great golf course and quiet area and now will be living in a long term construction and dust bowl. I am sure they are getting pretty fed up with the noise, dust, forest of weeds, construction material and tarps.
opinion2015
Fledgling

Post by opinion2015 »

Arrived late to this forum topic and what bothers me to no end, is that the 'old' Ponderosa course was a perfectly good and affordable 18 hole golf course, which I believe was owned by the Municipality? I am not a resident of Peachland, but would travel there often from my home in Kelowna to golf there at a reasonable price, and we used to have our office tournaments there as the green fees were reasonable compared to Kelowna.

I know there was a fire to the clubhouse, but could that not have been rebuilt? The old golf course is no more. I hike Pin Cushion a few times a year, and the old golf course is all weeds or destroyed by the construction of the new course.

Not sure of the history of how the land was transferred to the developer, how Greg Norman got involved and all that crap, but sad to see a nice old municipal course be destroyed.

Progress? I think not...
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Would it be all about money and greed?
jansawchuk

Post by jansawchuk »

golf course was privately owned and sold to the developers
opinion2015
Fledgling

Post by opinion2015 »

jansawchuk wrote:golf course was privately owned and sold to the developers

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of that the old course was privately owned. Miss the old golf course- but if it was privately owned and some developer comes along with a wheelbarrow of cash I cannot blame the previous owners for cashing in.
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey

Return to “Central Okanagan”