McIver Rd Glenrosa needs sidewalks!

dirtguy
Board Meister

Re: McIver Rd Glenrosa NEEDS SIDEWALKS!

Post by dirtguy »

samsquench07 wrote:Wasn't McIver that guy from the 80's who fixed and jimmy rigged everything?

Mcgyver
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: McIver Rd Glenrosa needs sidewalks!

Post by prairieflower »

dirtguy wrote:The glenrosa area has turned almost ghetto in the last few years,some streets are made up almost entirely of derelict rental properties.The speeding is an unfortunate byproduct of the lower class citizens that reside in that area.

Very true and very hard to take for those of us that have lived here a long time and still take pride in our homes.
graham2007

Post by graham2007 »

Before assuming that some people are only bitching on here, know that there are those of us who HAVE belonged to the Association before and truthfully it is not the end all to be all for changes in our neighborhood. People are simply tired of the speeders on this stretch of road and are venting. You can write letters, attend meetings etc etc and honestly, until council feels "they" are ready for changes (or a child or person gets seriously hurt or killed) nothing will be done!

Prarieflower

First off im not assuming anything other than a good portion of people who write in on here simply do *bleep* and do nothing about it... Thats my opinion and thats all

You are right about one thing. like most things in life we are reactive and unfortunatly it probably will take someone getting hurt or killed to make some changes happen quicker, but having said that i do also feel like i am taxed to death so if improvments are made how do you thnk thats going to happen ? thats right raising taxes so its a double edge sword we want changes but arent willing to pay for them, so i have tried and are continuing to push for changes to be made to help with safety and changes that can be made within a reasonable cost without raising taxes.
sislonski

Post by sislonski »

dirtguy wrote:The glenrosa area has turned almost ghetto in the last few years,some streets are made up almost entirely of derelict rental properties.The speeding is an unfortunate byproduct of the lower class citizens that reside in that area.

There may be some derelict properties but there are properties like this in any neighborhood of Kelowna or West Kelowna. And it's not just lower class citizens speeding. If you try and pull out of McIver Rd. onto Glenrosa you're putting your life into your hands by speeders whipping down Glenrosa in their fancy vehicles or even not so fancy vehicles. It has nothing to do with class.

Regardless I agree, something needs to be done on McIver, I think speed bumps would be a great way to slow everyone down. I doubt they'll ever straighten the road out or put sidewalks in. Even looking out my studio window right now, as I type, I just seen several vehicles who are obviously going over the speed limit.

During one of the last snow falls, just as kids are starting to walk to school, a truck from lower McIver came ripping around that S curve right at chives St I think it is. He lost control of his truck, slid into the opposite lane, I thought he was going to end up in my yard, but he fishtailed and managed to correct himself, while just missing hitting an oncoming car. If one of the kids from school had been walking along that edge as they always do he would have hit and killed them. I would say he was doing at least 60 minimum around that corner if not faster and that's in a school zone during school hours.

I have mentioned this problem to the city and to RCMP and I have yet to see police with radar at that school zone in the 10yrs that I have lived here. NOT A SINGLE time. and I'm home every single day during school hours. I've never seen them along that section of Glenrosa either. Oh wait, I stand corrected. I seen them there once and that was shortly after that girl was hit and that's it.

I think we need a few speed bumps on Glenrosa close to the vicinity of the school and on McIver and I imagine Webber has the same issue.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Why not double the property tax?

Ok, fine... double is a bit much (but we're throwing out that word when exaggerating about speeders, so why not).

Our taxes are LOW. And, as expected, we get *bleep* for them. They raise the taxes 1-3% a year and we all get up in arms and that's just to keep up with inflation.

Want better infrastructure? PAY FOR IT.

I personally think our property taxes SHOULD be higher (much higher) but we should get value for it. And we could. Greater tax base = greater purchasing power = better prices on what we do get.

Glenrosa CAN AND SHOULD get safe sidewalks for anywhere children are walking at the least. Screw Glenrosa... the whole city should. And underground utilities (man overhead wires are UUUUUGLY). And lights that work. Or lights at all. And sand that's cleaned off the roads before the middle of summer (I'm in Sm. Creek and here it is a week into May and I still have my kids crashing their bikes on 4" of sand). Etc etc etc.

We should expect better. And we can get better. But no, its not free.
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

witnessed another 5 cars speeding over 80km/h on McIver Rd yesterday. This is really getting out of control.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

playhard2010 wrote:witnessed another 5 cars speeding over 80km/h on McIver Rd yesterday. This is really getting out of control.

Hopefully you will be going to the meeting next week. I would love to see calming measures along McIver. Spread the word and get as many of your neighbors to go.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Careful what you wish for though. Shannon lake got what they "wanted" with the calming measures, and I bet they all sing a different tune now. It didn't slow anyone down (they're all pretty well ineffective), cost taxpayers money for basically nothing, and causes headaches when it comes to snow removal. Basically it annoys 100% of drivers in order to not really slow down the few speeders.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

s_mack wrote:Careful what you wish for though. Shannon lake got what they "wanted" with the calming measures, and I bet they all sing a different tune now. It didn't slow anyone down (they're all pretty well ineffective), cost taxpayers money for basically nothing, and causes headaches when it comes to snow removal. Basically it annoys 100% of drivers in order to not really slow down the few speeders.

Looking forward to having them. I honestly do not care about your supposed "headaches" ...I would rather the idiots go race someplace else. We are tired of them screaming up and down our stretch of road daily over and over. The cops will not come out and do radar (nor will the "community police" come). One day someone walking their dog, riding their bikes, kids playing etc etc will be hit or killed and then everyone will cry out. Snow removal will not be a problem if it is done correctly (which it is far from now). This road and Webber are residential streets, NOT highways and people need to learn to do the 50 km, no ifs and or buts! What is so hard to understand?
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

And its that kind of blind [pick a suitable word] that gets people nowhere. What part do I not understand? What part of my advice did you obviously completely ignore? I'll tell you... the part that says IT DOESN'T WORK.

You're so blind with your point of view that you're willing to completely ignore facts. There's ZERO point putting in "calming measures" if they do nothing to address the reason you put them in the first place. Honestly, it sounds like perhaps you just have a relation to the people that install these expensive pieces of nothing.

I've spent an extensive amount of efforts these "calming measure" meetings as well as seen the after-effects. I also have a friend at the city planning department who agrees they are useless. The ones that would actually work, they won't do because they are too expensive and annoy people even more.

At the bottom of the list they put in signs and flashing "hey you, you're going too fast". Who does that slow down? NOBODY. If anything, it becomes a score that they can use to see how high they can get.

Next up they put in those speed "humps". Nothing too harsh or else you'll be SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER when the ambulance and firetrucks can't get up your single access. So they make them lovely little humps that you don't have to slow down at all for. In fact, they put in the ones that have spaces for tires to go so really... you don't have to slow down at all (I know I don't).

Street narrows are an option they'll rarely do (but they have at Boucherie and one in Shannon Lake) that does kind of work. That's where the curb juts out into the street. It makes drivers feel uncomfortable so they instinctively slow down. Well, except for the ones that don't care... but they have proven effective at downhill curved areas. Relatively cheap but loads of complaints so they don't tend to do these except where they think it will be particularly effective.

Then the only one left that does actually work... traffic circles. VERY expensive and nobody wants one on their own street.

But go ahead. Keep on your ineffective mission to get some big bright numbers painted on the street asking people to slow down. Or, at best, get some "let's appease the people that are whining" speed humps. hopefully they put it directly in front of your driveway so at least you can see that they tried.

Look, your reply was very rude to me. So my response might have a "screw you" tone. But don't get me wrong... I'm on your side. I want people to slow down too. But what you're calling for is just... well... ineffective and a waste of my tax dollars and yours. There are things that can work (including paying police more) but they cost more. Me personally, I'd rather have my tax dollars go up and pay for something that actually works versus THROWING [a smaller amount of] MONEY AWAY
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

Where and when is this meeting? I will get a decent group of us to go and support having something done!
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/ind ... index.aspx

Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Doors open at 6 p.m.
Presentation at 6:30 p.m.
Glenrosa Elementary Gymnasium
3430 Webber Road
Last edited by prairieflower on May 24th, 2014, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

I have personally been to the West Kelowna RCMP office and made complaints 3 times now about the speeding on McIVER road but they just always say the same thing "we will pass it on to our traffic division". I see them on Webber rd and glenrosa rd doing radar but never have they been on McIver rd. I just contacted 4 other households on McIVER and they are all interested in the meeting coming up.

Thanks!!
playhard2010

Post by playhard2010 »

That is excellent!! I am really impressed by the municipality finally looking at the issue here! See you there
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

s_mack wrote:
Look, your reply was very rude to me. So my response might have a "screw you" tone. But don't get me wrong... I'm on your side. I want people to slow down too. But what you're calling for is just... well... ineffective and a waste of my tax dollars and yours. There are things that can work (including paying police more) but they cost more. Me personally, I'd rather have my tax dollars go up and pay for something that actually works versus THROWING [a smaller amount of] MONEY AWAY

I am not going to sit here over the internet and have a *bleep* match with you s_mack, you have your opinion and I have mine and we do not agree with each other. I will be attending the meeting, as will many others in the neighborhood and we will simply see what happens. Have a nice weekend

Return to “Central Okanagan”