Fence Lines

norton123
Fledgling

Re: Fence Lines

Post by norton123 »

My honest opinion would to bite the bullet and go knock on your neighbors door with our with out a couple suds and ask if they have a moment to talk.If your still keen on the fence you should always get your neighbors input on the size shape ect..Fences can get pretty expensive and wood fences will twist and turn in time,There are some really good pvc fences out there now that would probbly improve your property value as well but they are pricey.A good coloured chain link 4 ft would look nice as well.When i was instaling them back in the day we as a rule sent our lines 1 foot in from the customers p/l.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Reading between the lines it sounds like this fence building neighbour did two things wrong, they didn't consult the OP and took it upon themselves to cut back shrubs/trees to put the fence in.

If a neighbourly discussion takes place before materials are bought and holes are dug then there is no reason why the fence shouldn't be able to go on the PL. Why should anybody have to give up property for something that is a shared benefit.

This is really a first world problem. We should be so lucky that building a fence on our properties is one of our biggest worries. Friends of ours from South Africa had to have walls around their property for their personal safety, we need fences so our pets/children are contained and the neighbour's aren't snooping over to our side. How silly we would sound whining to these people.
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

We consulted our neighbours first and they were fine with it. It was done by a professional fencing outfit too, and it's the green chain link. Since then everyone respects everyone else fence by not leaning stuff on it and bending the prongs on the top. Ours went around our yard completely and they had only a bit to do for their yards 3 sides basically for them. rear if needed, the other side away from us and across the bit of their driveway if they wanted it. Their cost to do that. It's been a good investment, no maintenance. I agree that if you have squabbles with a neighbour it was going to happen anyways. If you put up a wood fence then you should be the one to maintain it too. Don't expect your neighbours to do it. You bear the costs or put up a chain link. Our neighbour behind asked if she could run a vine along the back part of our fence in common with her yard. We said sure. It looks great and is privacy too for them. Guess we lucked out for good neighbours.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

As long as you build your fence inside the Property Line, if and when you ever sell your house, you will never have an issue with the Surveyors' Certificate.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There was a news item where a property line wasn't considered I think it was a pool in the mission. New owners demanded the property line be addressed and the pool had to be removed. Harsh but reality check.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

I once removed a retaining wall built on my clients property, The nieghbors paid a ton to have it built before my clients house was built, my clients needed the room for a pool. Nieghbors had to build another one on there own property.
Not a nice situation to be in the middle of.
Going today, hear tommorow
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just shows that it pays to do it right the first time.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I wish my neighbor would build a fence , but I'd bet he would make sure there are a couple of knot holes in it so he can keep peeking through at us. The day I see a For Sale sign in his front yard , I am throwing a party for the rest of the folks on my street.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I was going to invite 10 or so friends over and at midnite move our back fence further back 10' while the lot behind us sat empty. We'd pour new concrete bases, re-sod over the old ones and generally make it look like it'd been there for 20 years.

It's a great way to expand your borders and have more land since fence lines are rarely checked to property lines, besides those property line surveying posts pop right out of the ground and can be moved along with the fences. ;)

Beware sneaky neighbours, I may live beside you!........
On a different forum
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Hopefully they don't go to the extreme of painting the fence some god awful colour, because if it's on their property, there's nothing you can (legally) do about it.

kurtan
Banned

Post by kurtan »

So when we bought our house the property was lined with cedars. We have started removing cedars an stumps and putting up a 6ft cedar fence. Our neighbor behind us has a fence up around the sides but only a chainlink seperating our yards. They told us they have the material and if we pay for half they will fence it. Only problem is the fence they have is old an red and ugly. Panel fencing, yuck! The chainlink wraps our yard as the previous owners had it installed. We wont be asking for them to pay for any material, and we will put up our 6 ft beautifully high cedar fence. I doubt they will have issues as we both have dogs that meet eachother all day at the fence. It will be nice to not have to clean up the pebble rock that falls through the chainlink onto our yard because of their dog that charges the fence whenever anything is in the back yard. I agree with above poster. If you havent been asked to help or share the cost of build, you got it pretty easy, and think of the privacy you will have once the project is complete.

Return to “Central Okanagan”