Fence Lines

mem

Fence Lines

Post by mem »

I was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out. If someone is putting a fence in between two property lines, what is the distance to be set back from the property line when the fence belongs to one property?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Fence Lines

Post by kgcayenne »

"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Seeing that this is in the West Kelowna forum the link above may give you an idea but you might want to look at the bylaws for DWK or Peachland or wherever it is that you live.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Basically your fence holes or concrete bases have to be completely on your property but can be right at P.L. Often they are buried and the fence is on P.L. but technically that is incorrect., Ive never heard of someone being called on it.
Going today, hear tommorow
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Good fences make for good neighbours. When we found out the house next to us was for sale, the first thing we did was put up a 5' tall solid cedar fence. It's a lot easier to do before new people you may not want to share your life with move in. We were lucky and got good new neighbours, and they love the privacy the fence gives them too.
On a different forum
mem

Post by mem »

My questions, How far is being a good neighbor, when put a fence up on your property line, 2" 4" just wondering. We have one going in beside us and they are going to push every inch.................
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

If they do it properly its probably about 4-6 inches off p.l. assuming a 12 " hole or sono tube and a 4" post.
If the holes dont cross p.l. there is nothing wrong. Most people try to push the hieght more than location.
mem

Post by mem »

Wally, Thank you for that info. I will make sure their hole are inside their property line and in my books the could go a high a they wanted. Anything to keep they from snooping on to our property! Thanks a bunch! Nothing like having some "new" in the neighbor hood that it trying everything under the sun. Seventeen years later and now it's an issue....................
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

So your new neighbours are building a fence. Is it a nice fence? Will you benefit from this fence? Are they paying the total cost for the fence? If the answer is yes to all three questions then it sounds like you have some great new neighbours! Why give them a hard time over a few inches?

We moved into a neighbourhood with established neighbours and it is amazing the sense of entitlement these people felt over us. Thankfully they moved. We just spent 3k on a fence that our neighbours behind us and to one side benefit from. We took down the old fence that was falling to our side, pulled stumps and cleared the brush away. I am sure the fence is right on the P.L., nobody complained, why would they? They didn't do any of the work or shell out for any of the costs and they get the full benefit and added value to their property.

Try being a good neighbour, bake them a pie and go say thanks!
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

We put up a chain link when we moved in 20 years ago. The posts are set in cement and the posts are in our yard, the mesh though is on the property line. We consulted with our neighbours and they had no problem with it as we took down an old beaten fence covered in chicken wire. Now they have also run fences across the back of their yards or from their houses across their driveways to our fence so they can shut off their backyards using chain link, and they hook onto our fence posts. We have no issues with any of it. Makes for a nice clean structure and easy maintenance.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

I would think a reasonable person who is not paying for any of the fence would not get.upset about a few inches of buried concrete post supports as long as the fence itself was on p.l. That is assuming its a decent looking fence, if it is ugly and one wants to put up a not ugly fence to hide it then you would have a problem if the fence itself is on p.l. I dont think Ive seen that happen more than once, and Ive put up more than a couple fences. ( the nice ones ) haha.
mem

Post by mem »

Well, if you had seen what has happened to our yard so far(damage), nothing would surprise me........The sooner a fence goes in the sooner I don't have to look at them! You know sometimes when one has to much money, everything they see, they own......
Wish is was you putting up the fence......I just want it on their side so I don't have to worry about any maintenance.
It will be what it will be....................Some time things just suck! lol If I don't laugh I will cry.................
norton123
Fledgling

Post by norton123 »

i built fences for 14 yrs and only ran into a couple squables in that time, it had nothing to do with the fence,rather it was from peaople not getting along period,you can put a 1 foot fence up or a 20 foot fence up,if you can't get along no fence will help..
mem

Post by mem »

I wish that you were here putting up the fence. It is all about respecting one and another's space. If your not sure, most people ask. Some people aren't happy with what they hear and just go head and chop....................Some just do what ever makes them happy.
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

I guess it all depends on what kind of maintenance/access your fence needs? If you put up a fence that requires painting/staining then you aren't such a good neighbour if you put it only inches from/on the Property line as you then can't access it/upkeep it (without going on the neighbour's property). If you're assuming that the neighbour is "benefiting" from the fence so can deal with eventual maintenance then you might have future problems and/or you aren't being such a good/smart neighbour.

We put our fence on our acreage 10' on to our side so we could always access down to the bottom of our lot.

Different scenarios for different situations.

Return to “Central Okanagan”