Traffic nightmare or minor blip

dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Traffic nightmare or minor blip

Post by dodgerdodge »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... d-blasting

Just reading the story apart from Westlake being closed and rerouted traffic via Mc Dougal (a lot of traffic uses this road) they say single alternating traffic between Stevens Rd and Hwy97. Now it doesn't mention time so i would hope it is not during rush hours but the article seems to suggest its all the time. That stretch is very busy at times particularly with all the large gravel trucks and buses using the route, its gonna be interesting.
If all the re routed traffic is coming down Mc Dougal to then try and turn left on Stevens and right on Westlake whilst that stretch is single lane alternating i can only imagine the chaos, at least until school finishes for summer.
Metdet

Re: Traffic nightmare or minor blip

Post by Metdet »

I would say its going to be traffic nightmare..again. Why would they have to reroute from Stevens,,,that is kilometers away from the bridge??? It didnt make sense to me. I think the reporter doesnt own a map.
We are going to have to leave an hour earlier than normal to get to work. A normal day is bad enough with only 2 lanes going into k town. The new bridge didnt improve anything for the morning ride. It was 2 lanes, and still is. Gee thanks planners.
MB
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Metdet wrote:I would say its going to be traffic nightmare..again. Why would they have to reroute from Stevens,,,that is kilometers away from the bridge??? It didnt make sense to me. I think the reporter doesnt own a map.
We are going to have to leave an hour earlier than normal to get to work. A normal day is bad enough with only 2 lanes going into k town. The new bridge didnt improve anything for the morning ride. It was 2 lanes, and still is. Gee thanks planners.

You are mistaking this article with another project entirely. This is about Westlake Road NOT the new underpass by bridge hill that is a separate nightmare all together.
pattergrub
Fledgling

Post by pattergrub »

I am curious in a city such as ours where the ground never "really" freezes and such moderate temps why does road construction come to a halt in the mild winters? I would think the logical thing to do would be to hold off until after the peak tourism season no?? because yes traffic will be an absolute nightmare this summer, and will likely negatively affect business.
satisfaction is the death of desire!!
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

lol @ the ground not really freezing here,its not uncommon to see over 2 feet of frost in the valley
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

pattergrub wrote:I am curious in a city such as ours where the ground never "really" freezes and such moderate temps why does road construction come to a halt in the mild winters? I would think the logical thing to do would be to hold off until after the peak tourism season no?? because yes traffic will be an absolute nightmare this summer, and will likely negatively affect business.

Asphalt plants shut down for the winter, so road building stops as well.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

pattergrub wrote:I am curious in a city such as ours where the ground never "really" freezes and such moderate temps why does road construction come to a halt in the mild winters? I would think the logical thing to do would be to hold off until after the peak tourism season no?? because yes traffic will be an absolute nightmare this summer, and will likely negatively affect business.

Tourists will have no real effect on this project. This is affecting local people commuting and dropping/collecting school kids and all those that live in this area.

Return to “Central Okanagan”