Who is going to look after our children?

kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Who is going to look after our children?

Post by kompili »

grammafreddy wrote:There was drugs in the schools in the 70s. I recall MJ, Magic Mushrooms and LSD for sure. There's probably a few others, too.

Put you kept them for yourself and got high. You didn't sell them, and have to have a gun to protect your business.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
gmeikle
Fledgling

Post by gmeikle »

"I know I will get hacked for posting this..but shame on any of you who think a teacher is only available to our children during class time...."

Seems to me that your only available for your children out side of your work hours ....and were looking for financial compensation from the teachers when that was threatened......

"Are the teachers going to reimburse parents for this? I mean, why should parents have to miss work(and getting paid) or pay more for any after school care because the teachers do not want to supervise our children..Any lawyers out there, can you start a civil case in regards to this to reimburse any parents that are financially put out because of this?

Who will reimburse the teachers for the free"supervision" out side of there work hours ? Your just lost !
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:There was drugs in the schools in the 70s. I recall MJ, Magic Mushrooms and LSD for sure. There's probably a few others, too.

kompili wrote:Put you kept them for yourself and got high. You didn't sell them, and have to have a gun to protect your business.

Nooooo ... I have never bought, sold or used illegal drugs. Being addicted to cigarettes was more than enough for me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

First day of school one year I was asked if I wanted to buy - said no thanks. LSD was huge as was pot, hash and others I can't remember now.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Tero wrote:I work in a school as CUPE staff. Believe me, you want good supervision at recess and lunch. Some of the things that go on on the playground are scary. Behaviour issues are huge.

And yes, because of my union, parents are not allowed to volunteer to supervise. It's disgusting that we turn away VOLUNTEERS for the sake of my greedy union!

Not sure you can blame the union for parents not being allowed to volunteer to supervise. These days there is likely a liability issue for the school district. Volunteers would need to be criminal record checked, referenced, trained and so on. It's a big job to coordinate volunteers.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Tony wrote:I went to school transitioning between the 60's and 70's. If there was a teacher on the playground it meant somebody was hurt or in trouble. We definitely were not supervised and we all survived.

kompili wrote:I don't think you had kids bringing guns and drugs to school in the 60's 70's. It is a new age we live in now. It won't be bad to have someone keep an eye on the kids, not necessary a teacher

You're right we didn't because the kids has respect for our parents, teachers and anyone else in authority (for the most part anyway). The fact that we didn't have supervision had nothing to do with what was or wasn't brought to school. And trust me, there were lots of drugs being brought to school.

Today's young people haven't been taught (usually lack of parental instruction as that's their job) that behaviour like that is unacceptable and if the behaviour is happening, there are repercussions. There isn't any discipline any more - "we don't want to hurt Johnny's feelings or stem his creative side". That's total XX and everyone knows it.

Sorry - I know that's off topic, but if there was discipline at home, the kids wouldn't need supervision at recess and lunch. I'm not talking about beatings or anything like that, but there has to be some sort of punishment if a child is disrespectful, or willingly damaging property, or anything that we were taught is wrong. Generally, we, as a generation, had pretty good guide lines to follow. I don't think any of them were out of line and I don't think any of us turned out horribly bad. I mean, there's always going to be those people, but that happens anyway, anytime.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The fact that there is far more violence and disrespect shown and allowed by the media and games today does not change the fact that children raised by parents who have respect for themselves, their children and all others will grow up having respect for themselves, their parents and all others. Such respect has to start from conception and continue throughout the childs entire adult life to be worth anything.

Lying, cheating and stealing THAT IS SEEN TO PROFIT THOSE INVOLVED have become a larger and larger part of everyday life that makes it more and more difficult for parents to raise their children with respect for all others.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Piecemaker wrote:Not sure you can blame the union for parents not being allowed to volunteer to supervise. These days there is likely a liability issue for the school district. Volunteers would need to be criminal record checked, referenced, trained and so on. It's a big job to coordinate volunteers.

Yes, that's a fact, not a theory. Sure, volunteers do need crim checks etc, but it's the unions that keep parents out, not the red tape.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Symbonite wrote:Someone in my Family is a teacher....they did the vote...and the voted against the strike...but i told em...your in a union...and you do what unions do...they say jump...you jump...and in the end...you get screwed while the union boss counts his money.

Anyways as for the kids...sounds like from some of the parents that your kids are a burden to you daily lives. the problem is that I dont have kids and I still have to pay the taxes to the school.

Also todays kids are so coddled and parents are becoming human helicopters, little suprised there are more weirdo kids out there.

so a majority vote is only good when it is in your best interests and points of view? i guess that all depends on what side of the fence you sit on. i suppose that when the majority wanted the HST abolished that was wrong as well? the thing about majority votes is that you have to grin and bear what the majority wanted. no matter whether you agree or not. there is nothing sinister or evil to that. but i almost wonder if you are implying that because the teachers union had a majority vote you and your "family" member dont agree with....it was bad or something. the membership voted and thats it. more wanted a certain direction than those that didnt. thats democracy 101. you learn it in elementary school from teachers.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

gmeikle wrote:"I know I will get hacked for posting this..but shame on any of you who think a teacher is only available to our children during class time...."

Seems to me that your only available for your children out side of your work hours ....and were looking for financial compensation from the teachers when that was threatened......

"Are the teachers going to reimburse parents for this? I mean, why should parents have to miss work(and getting paid) or pay more for any after school care because the teachers do not want to supervise our children..Any lawyers out there, can you start a civil case in regards to this to reimburse any parents that are financially put out because of this?

Who will reimburse the teachers for the free"supervision" out side of there work hours ? Your just lost !

shouldnt we class action suit the politicians as well? i seem to remember the saying that it takes 2 to tango. and the government has their fingerprints all over this mess too.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Perhaps the question of "Who is going to look after our children?" should have been dealt with before having children. After the children are born, any answer other than "I am going to look after my children" is a completely irresponsible abdication of critical parental responsibilities.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Donald G wrote:Perhaps the question of "Who is going to look after our children?" should have been dealt with before having children. After the children are born, any answer other than "I am going to look after my children" is a completely irresponsible abdication of critical parental responsibilities.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

thats why its easier not to have kids....call me selfish but if you see married couples with kids and without kids...the ones without kids seem to look alot younger too.

but what drives me is parents that dont do anything when the kids go nuts or helicopter parents watching their every move...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i find it funny how some people "critique" kids and parenting when they have none. and then learn that they do everything that they said they would never do when they have kids. my opinion is that if you dont have kids.......you dont know jack.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

charliebean wrote:Are the teachers going to reimburse parents for this? I mean, why should parents have to miss work(and getting paid) or pay more for any after school care because the teachers do not want to supervise our children..Any lawyers out there, can you start a civil case in regards to this to reimburse any parents that are financially put out because of this?

I truly hope you're joking about this. Did people forget who brought these little people into the world and who is responsible for them when services are cut back?? I hope in the end those using the service demanding more and more service reach into their pockets and pay for it! I pay and see no return... think about that for a period of time.

Return to “Central Okanagan”