Who is going to look after our children?

charliebean
Fledgling

Who is going to look after our children?

Post by charliebean »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#113595

What a shame. I sure hope that our children are going to be ok when they are left being unsupervised. Maybe we need a group of concerned parents to go to the school yards during the time our children are left unsupervised and make sure they are ok. Wish I didn't have to worry about my child's safety when I drop him off at school.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Who is going to look after our children?

Post by Hassel99 »

You did not read the article you linked did you....

School District 23, district management staff outside the BCTF, principals and vice-principals will handle before and after school supervision beginning on Wednesday.

When i went to school in the 90s in BC, i dont recall any teacher supervision at lunch or recess. it was all parent volunteers, and at most 2 ppl for a full school yard.
Last edited by Hassel99 on Apr 22nd, 2014, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Recess without rules

Maybe it's the nanny-state that's been created in the last 25 years that is the problem in the first place.
On a different forum
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

When I was in school there was no supervision in the school yard during lunch and recess.

Somehow I survived. Imagine.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I work in a SD where teachers do not do the supervision and it's done by admin and cupe staff. My children attend another SD and it's the same thing.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

When I was in school, two teachers were supervising the 600 of us. When the bell rang at the end of the break, we all had to be in line with our classroom and they would let us go back in one classroom at a time.

For lunch it was two crazy broomsticks doing the supervision. They gave me a written "warning" one day because I was eating too slow a day that I was sick.

Anyways, the article answers the OP's question:

Gloster says recess will be supervised for the balance of the week but adds a letter will go home to parents tomorrow indicating that, as of next Monday, recess will be cancelled for the duration of the job action and the school day will end 15 minutes early.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hassel99 wrote:When i went to school in the 90s in BC, i dont recall any teacher supervision at lunch or recess. it was all parent volunteers, and at most 2 ppl for a full school yard.

Now it's against union rules to have parents drop by to give a hand and do volunteer work.

Thanks CUPE and BCTF.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

Rwede wrote:Now it's against union rules to have parents drop by to give a hand and do volunteer work.

Thanks CUPE and BCTF.

Any chance of a link to that info?

I find it odd that parents are not allowed to participate.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
charliebean
Fledgling

Post by charliebean »

Shame Shame on the teachers, ending classes early because they will not be supervising our children ...I guess you are right.. You are doing this for the kids..lOl
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

you don't have to worry about it. They're cancelling recess. Kids will be let out 15 minutes early! How excellent.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
charliebean
Fledgling

Post by charliebean »

Are the teachers going to reimburse parents for this? I mean, why should parents have to miss work(and getting paid) or pay more for any after school care because the teachers do not want to supervise our children..Any lawyers out there, can you start a civil case in regards to this to reimburse any parents that are financially put out because of this?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^Good Lord!! Another parent who views schools and teachers as daycares and babysitters!

They are YOUR kids. YOU are responsible for looking after them.
Chill
charliebean
Fledgling

Post by charliebean »

Please DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH....This is not how I fell and is DEFINATELY not your place to say...
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

charliebean wrote:Are the teachers going to reimburse parents for this? I mean, why should parents have to miss work(and getting paid) or pay more for any after school care because the teachers do not want to supervise our children..Any lawyers out there, can you start a civil case in regards to this to reimburse any parents that are financially put out because of this?

The teachers are there to TEACH your children not supervise them over recess. Holy.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
charliebean
Fledgling

Post by charliebean »

I appreciate your opinion...Thank you

Return to “Central Okanagan”