Who is going to look after our children?

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Who is going to look after our children?

Post by GordonH »

VMF wrote:School administrators (NOT teachers) do not want to "spread themselves too thin" by having to do their job AND do supervision so that is why recess/break has been removed and kids will be getting out 15 mins early. Imagine that, not wanting to have to spread themselves too thin... Yet teachers have been doing it for years. Shame on ADMINISTRATION.

Interesting during my elementary school years there was no administrators at any of schools I attended, Principal was also one of the teachers.
How times have changed
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
charliebean
Fledgling

Post by charliebean »

charliebean wrote:Again, I am sorry, I was wrong...If it makes you feel better I will say it...You are right...I was wrong in thinking it was bad for our children to be unsupervised, but as many others posted, this is the norm..Teachers do not supervise children.I hope this satisfies you.

You didn't answer my question. Since principals/vice principals can do the supervising, why do you think your children will be unsupervised?[/quote]

Again, I am sorry, you are correct....I agree with you, Teachers will not be supervising our kids, but they will be supervised by principals and vice principals, I appreciate your time in regards to this really silly matter..glad it is over and you can now sleep better, who was the idiot who started this topic anyways...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

charliebean wrote:Again, I am sorry, you are correct....I agree with you, Teachers will not be supervising our kids, but they will be supervised by principals and vice principals, I appreciate your time in regards to this really silly matter..glad it is over and you can now sleep better, who was the idiot who started this topic anyways...
You're welcome. I've been affected by strikes and work action as a parent and student but have never worried that the children would be ignored.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Watching over children in a "free interaction" (like recess and noon) setting can be one of the most telling and truthful experiences available to an interested parent. As a parent I used to stop at the school (or playground) for that very purpose.

A few hours of quietly observing such activity goes a long way toward determining what stage your child (and others) is undergoing regarding the stresses and rewards that compose the "socialization" process.

The collective education process is far too important to be left solely to teachers.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

I have to wonder if private school enrollment has gone up due to the instability in the public school system. I get sick of seeing children being used as a smokescreen by the BCTF. Do you really think the BCTF would agree to a pay freeze if the Government ensured the increase of funding went solely toward the children?

The irony to the whole recess argument is parents will probably have to get off work earlier or make other arrangements for their children. In order to give the BCTF their raises the money needs to come from taxes. How are we supposed to pay more taxes when we have to get off work early? Am I the only one that sees the irony in their argument?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

the truth wrote:when i went too school in the 70;s
you could have snowball fights-not anymore
you could play tag-not any more
what the hell happend, kids can not be kids anymore , sad really
teachers are here to teach my kids not raise them, that;s my f en JOB., TOO many deadbeat parents trying to pass that job on too teachers IMHO

It's called "liability" ....

Teachers don't want it ....
School boards don't want it....

And lazy *bleep* parents know how to exploit it...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I have to wonder if private school enrollment has gone up due to the instability in the public school system. I get sick of seeing children being used as a smokescreen by the BCTF. Do you really think the BCTF would agree to a pay freeze if the Government ensured the increase of funding went solely toward the children?

Children as "human shields" is a fair assessment IMO...

But you can't blame just that stoopid union. The gov't shoulders that blame equally.

Saying it's " for the children" to propagate your agenda is a tactic used by BOTH sides.

Shame on both equally ....

Our kids will stay in an independent faith based school for as long as I can afford it ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Someone in my Family is a teacher....they did the vote...and the voted against the strike...but i told em...your in a union...and you do what unions do...they say jump...you jump...and in the end...you get screwed while the union boss counts his money.

Anyways as for the kids...sounds like from some of the parents that your kids are a burden to you daily lives. the problem is that I dont have kids and I still have to pay the taxes to the school.

Also todays kids are so coddled and parents are becoming human helicopters, little suprised there are more weirdo kids out there.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

MAPearce wrote:
But you can't blame just that stoopid union. The gov't shoulders that blame equally.

The government is trying to balance the budget in the interest of the public. Wouldnt you want to make sure you get the best bang for the buck from the tax pool. And not throw at a teacher because they want more vacation pay.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's not that kids are a burden, it's that responsible people need to plan ahead. Changing schedules a few days in advance is very hard for some. I am thankful to have a very flexible employer that I won't have to deal with that but I imagine the juggling can be quite a challenge for some parents, especially those that use public transit.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

acidrain wrote:I have to wonder if private school enrollment has gone up due to the instability in the public school system. I get sick of seeing children being used as a smokescreen by the BCTF. Do you really think the BCTF would agree to a pay freeze if the Government ensured the increase of funding went solely toward the children?

I'm betting it is rising. I know I'm seriously considering it but the costs are a major set back. I really wish we had more options in the public system.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The government is trying to balance the budget in the interest of the public. Wouldnt you want to make sure you get the best bang for the buck from the tax pool. And not throw at a teacher because they want more vacation pay.

I'm of the opinion the public is the last to get " the best bang for the buck from the tax pool" .. From the gov't OR a public sector union and I'm sure I'm not the only one....
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

I work in a school as CUPE staff. Believe me, you want good supervision at recess and lunch. Some of the things that go on on the playground are scary. Behaviour issues are huge.

And yes, because of my union, parents are not allowed to volunteer to supervise. It's disgusting that we turn away VOLUNTEERS for the sake of my greedy union!
Pkunko
Fledgling

Post by Pkunko »

Tero wrote:Some of the things that go on on the playground are scary. Behaviour issues are huge.

More so than say 20 years ago?
Last edited by Pkunko on Apr 25th, 2014, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Tero wrote:And yes, because of my union, parents are not allowed to volunteer to supervise. It's disgusting that we turn away VOLUNTEERS for the sake of my greedy union!

Yes. It really is disgusting.

Return to “Central Okanagan”