Are there too many stores in West Kelowna?

Are there too many stores in West Kelowna

Yes
66%
No
32%
I dunno
2%

Total votes: 41

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Are there too many stores in West Kelowna?

Post by Hmmm »

fall wrote:[it takes you an hour to get from Rutland to downtown, with the exception of peak hours near the bridge so you really don't have to sit and pay attention to all the rotting vacant buildings on wasteland as you drive by, there are some great areas to live here, it is like Kelowna you don't live along the highway, you escape to your area wherever it may be off the highway. It is more park and nature like and laid back on this side, I much prefer it!

Takes 15 min from Rutland to downtown on any given day BTW
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Do you drive lol, it takes longer than 15 minutes on any given day not including summer traffic! Maybe 15 minutes at 2 in the morning!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

fall wrote:Do you drive lol, it takes longer than 15 minutes on any given day not including summer traffic! Maybe 15 minutes at 2 in the morning!
I guess I don't really drive at peak morning or evening times, now that I think of it. Aside from those two times, it really doesn't take that long at all, about 15 minutes. Been doing it for over a decade. Either way, it has nothing to do with this thread and I should have butt out, but I didn't. Lol
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

It takes me a good 15 minutes to get from Pandosy on the highway to Spall at 3pm 3 times a week and even longer coming back at 4pm, an hour was an exaggeration but half hour at least certainly is not! I lived in Kelowna for over a decade to, know what its like!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

fall wrote:Do you drive lol, it takes longer than 15 minutes on any given day not including summer traffic! Maybe 15 minutes at 2 in the morning!

I disagree. Hmmm is correct. I drive locally for a living, and it only takes 15 minutes to get downtown. It all depends on the route you take.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

fall wrote:It takes me a good 15 minutes to get from Pandosy on the highway to Spall at 3pm 3 times a week and even longer coming back at 4pm, an hour was an exaggeration but half hour at least certainly is not! I lived in Kelowna for over a decade to, know what its like!

You either need to get yourself a better watch or a better GPS. You don't need to go through Winfield when going from Rutland to Downtown.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Some people really must not drive that much and at different times, do a few test runs and see how it goes, let me know how much the summer traffic ads to your time sitting in lines at every light along the highway to!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Rose Thompson wrote:Too many BIG stores and Kelowna's just 15 min away. Plus there's nothing unique about the stores here - same Chinese made crap in all of them.

But is there anything unique about 90% of the stores in this valley? The BIG stores like Walmart and Superstore are very useful for those that live here. Kelowna also has both these stores but how many lights do you need to travel through/stop at to get to either from here? 10, 12? If we didn't have them then the Kelowna ones would be way busier. I like quiet shopping and yes i do use them as they are convenient and the price is right. Chinese crap? I guess we are talking electronics and clothing rather than food. Whats different if you shop at a local electronics store for example? Same brands on the shelf but probably higher prices. Shop in a box store and get a shirt for $12, shop in a local designer store and get a shirt for $40. Regardless of where stuff is made people will undoubtedly look for a deal and price seems to win over and above most other things with convenience coming a close second.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

dodgerdodge wrote:
. Shop in a box store and get a shirt for $12, shop in a local designer store and get a shirt for $40. Regardless of where stuff is made people will undoubtedly look for a deal and price seems to win over and above most other things with convenience coming a close second.
Bought a nice shirt at Costco today for $15, same type of shirt at a local store would be around $50 with no returns.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

how can you shop at costco, in your words those places are not upscale enough for you.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

alfred2 wrote:how can you shop at costco, in your words those places are not upscale enough for you.

Funny, when did I say I shop at upscale places? Of course you're joking in regards to the dressing clean post i made. And costcos clothes are clean and they match too. LOL
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

It is my thought that WFN will have to change policies and procedures when approving requests for land use and they will also have to bring their governance staff up to snuff with the reality of the economies of the valley by being able to read what is going on around them and not just what they want within WFN jurisdiction. I think that surveys had the numbers for available shoppers but perhaps councilors did not ask the right questions regarding how many would actually travel out of their cities and communities to shop at the same stores available across the bridge or through the net. Perhaps the need to spend federal monies available to FN as they try to build economies on their lands took precedence over realities or perhaps the inexperience of governance brought some of this over use into being cause growth does not happen without local government being a part of the planning. While WFN is now standing alone it truly needs to bring its laws and by-laws to a respectful place of those other than what fits for first nations wants and needs.

Hopefully WFN governance is learning a new lesson from the reports they must be receiving from business owners and landlords and they will now sit up and try to beautify their business acreage. There is nothing more attractive to shoppers now than an area where a family can relax, recreate, shop, dine and their children can play within a beautiful space and that gets them out of the house on days deliveries are not expected from on line shopping.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I still make it out of the house on days I am expecting deliveries, they just leave my boxes by the door or the smaller packages that come via Canada Post get put in the oversize slot at the mailboxes!

Return to “Central Okanagan”