Are there too many stores in West Kelowna?

Are there too many stores in West Kelowna

Yes
66%
No
32%
I dunno
2%

Total votes: 41

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Are there too many stores in West Kelowna?

Post by GordonH »

^^^^^ This will continue until retail outlets in central Okanagan have enough to serve the area, most likely those on westside of the Lake will be the ones closing.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

matai wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this one would be one of them as well:
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/ ... canada-us/

By 2015 they say... so if anything it would be this year.

My prediction proved to be accurate

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... -pulls-out
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Not to put the horse in front of the bogey, but Staple's location would be the perfect spot to destroy the current building and build an affordable housing skyscraper mixed for families and elderly. Everything you need is at walking distance, so one would need no car to drive around.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

From the bridge almost to Peachland, West Kelowna is an eyesore of billboards, endless strip malls, industrial sites and big box stores. I truly hate driving thru there and certainly can't imagine why anyone would want to LIVE there.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Verminator wrote:From the bridge almost to Peachland, West Kelowna is an eyesore of billboards, endless strip malls, industrial sites and big box stores. I truly hate driving thru there and certainly can't imagine why anyone would want to LIVE there.

This is true, it isn't very appealing, but the strip from the bridge to the airport isn't much better. Most sections of Highway 97 that have been 4-laned, or worse, 6-laned, are pretty damn ugly in this valley
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Anonymous123 wrote:

This is true, it isn't very appealing, but the strip from the bridge to the airport isn't much better. Most sections of Highway 97 that have been 4-laned, or worse, 6-laned, are pretty damn ugly in this valley[/quote]

I totally agree that there are lots of really nasty, ugly stretches of Highway 97, but the section thru WK is by far the worst. What makes it even more unacceptable is the fact that so much of it is on FN land. Stewards of the environment my @$$...
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
notbornyesterday

Post by notbornyesterday »

Having lived in Westbank 20 years ago (and yes I will continue to call it Westbank dammit) the few times I drove through West Kelowna recently brought tears to my eyes. How green was my valley......
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

notbornyesterday wrote:Having lived in Westbank 20 years ago (and yes I will continue to call it Westbank dammit) the few times I drove through West Kelowna recently brought tears to my eyes. How green was my valley......

I agree with you. Not a very good introduction to the Okanagan as you come off the connector. So much for " stewards of the land".
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Anonymous123 wrote:
I agree with you. Not a very good introduction to the Okanagan as you come off the connector. So much for " stewards of the land".

That's only heading North though. South is mostly nice all the way down to Omak.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

With the exception of downtown Westbank not much has changed unless it is on WFN. Just saying!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

waterwings wrote:With the exception of downtown Westbank not much has changed unless it is on WFN. Just saying!

Picking up what you're putting down.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

I have never put Westbank down. I simply stated what was because I didn't see through rose colored glasses and memories of the past and change does occur - nothing is ever written in stone except birth, death and taxes.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

waterwings wrote:I have never put Westbank down. I simply stated what was because I didn't see through rose colored glasses and memories of the past and change does occur - nothing is ever written in stone except birth, death and taxes.

Don't be to sure about those taxes.
Rose Thompson

Post by Rose Thompson »

Too many BIG stores and Kelowna's just 15 min away. Plus there's nothing unique about the stores here - same Chinese made crap in all of them.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Verminator wrote:From the bridge almost to Peachland, West Kelowna is an eyesore of billboards, endless strip malls, industrial sites and big box stores. I truly hate driving thru there and certainly can't imagine why anyone would want to LIVE there.

At least here you actually move along the highway not doing 30 km from light to light like in Kelowna and it takes you an hour to get from Rutland to downtown, with the exception of peak hours near the bridge so you really don't have to sit and pay attention to all the rotting vacant buildings on wasteland as you drive by, there are some great areas to live here, it is like Kelowna you don't live along the highway, you escape to your area wherever it may be off the highway. It is more park and nature like and laid back on this side, I much prefer it! I live just over the bridge and am really closer to Kelowna than I am to the shopping in West Kelowna but I much prefer a quiet grocery store here that is not sold out of a lot of items, about the only thing we buy is groceries and get most other things from the coast or States anyway. I am in Kelowna every day and the best part is driving home escaping the overcrowded rat race of Kelowna back to my mountain with a view that I can listen to the birds chirp and watch the deer and have a glass of wine!
Last edited by fall on May 8th, 2014, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”