Two boys trapped on Mt. Boucherie

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Two boys trapped on Mt. Boucherie

Post by Catz »

Do you know how many out of town hockey kids and parents think going up there is a good work out? People like to hike. In some places you don't know what is around the corner and get trapped to scared to go on, too scared to go back. The kids were probably over scared and thought they might get into trouble. I would rather have my child take this hike and get stuck, then be out on the streets doing drugs.
VMF

Post by VMF »

Wally wrote:My guess is they were looking for a new spot to tag Grad 2014, all the easier spots are taken, gotta go bigger. Good grad story at the reunion.

They are in grades 8 and 9 at CNB. CNB's principals are the ones who were interviewed after the rescue.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

From the story comments:
I'd just like to let you know I thanked them before we got down.
It was embarrassing, both of us we're embarrassed and didn't want to talk to anyone once we were at the bottom
What is the world coming to that a couple kids get stuck on a hill and ask for help, and the first 'conclusion' is they are out of shape and/or on alcohol and drugs?

I missed the audio on the first pass, but it says they took a wrong turn and got into steep terrain. Each attempt to go up resulted in slipping, and there was a cliff down. Sounds like the right time to call for help.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It was the right call.

AND I'm with Catz, better kids are out in nature and not on the streets.

But sorry, from the media story they acted like they didn't have to say "thanks to all of those who also dropped everything and took risks."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

Make the families pay for the SAR and be done with it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great idea, works for me.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
masen
Fledgling

Post by masen »

How did they prepare for this? What rock climbing equipment did they have, what kind of boots etc? This is a very steep mountain with very slippery shale slopes and rattlesnakes although it is a bit too early probably for them. School should be teaching these practical skills if the parents aren't inclined or have the proper knowledge. My parents educated me from day 1. Intelligence is knowing how much each ones of us can handle. My opinion is these young adults need a proper education. Why would the school miss this opportunity with a steep mountain right beside them, maybe the teachers in the school should encourage a mandatory course in Boucherie climbing?
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

southy wrote:Yup ... You're tough! would like to see you two on the side of a cliff. .. Ya just might sing a different tune!

You think we haven't scaled cliffs before? I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't... :p
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

masen wrote:How did they prepare for this? What rock climbing equipment did they have, what kind of boots etc? This is a very steep mountain with very slippery shale slopes and rattlesnakes although it is a bit too early probably for them. School should be teaching these practical skills if the parents aren't inclined or have the proper knowledge. My parents educated me from day 1. Intelligence is knowing how much each ones of us can handle. My opinion is these young adults need a proper education. Why would the school miss this opportunity with a steep mountain right beside them, maybe the teachers in the school should encourage a mandatory course in Boucherie climbing?

ohgoodlord someone else thinking that schools should teach 'everything!'

Good on the kids that wanted an adventure and took on a challenging task that unfortunately they were unable to succeed at. I hope that the experience didn't kill their spirit for adventure and that next time they undertake a physical challenge like this they will have learned from this experience and gain the knowledge and skills to be successful!!
Chill
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

masen wrote:My parents educated me from day 1.
Did they stop day 2? From your first post its clear you didn't read beyond the headline before making your final conclusion.

There's really little to comment here. Kids went up mountain. Got stuck. Called for help BEFORE getting injured. Minor debate of paying search and rescue for the aid.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Stumpy ...The Truth shall set you free ... two like minds :) ... gotta love the redneck 'tude.
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

I usually just shake my head when I read these sorts of topics and the inevitable "make them pay!" comments that follow. That said, this hits close to home. I have a son in middle school. He and his friends have scaled Mt. Boo and came back unscathed. Can I take credit for that because we taught him well? Maybe, maybe not. He's no stranger to goat trails and brush but who's to say his buddies didn't get stuck? What if he had a momentary lapse in judgement and took a few steps too many? That's the sort of thing kids do from time to time. Some people would call that learning - Life experience. Ya know, all those things kids did before we bubble wrapped them and made them incompetent, unthinking automatons that post on castanet forums with cries for "PAY FOR YOUR MISDEEDS!"
To punish kids for being kids or even worse - punish their parents for daring let their kids out of the house unsupervised at the tender age of 12 or 13 is ridiculous. People that expect kids to be perfect, obedient little do NOTHINGS will get exactly that. You'll thank me when my kid is helping you across the street instead of sitting safely in front of a computer screen.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

I agree. Things like this can happen a lot easier than you think. Its easy to preach if you have never been caught in this type of situation, but you are very very thankful if it happens to you one day.

Lack of judgment? Probably so. These kids will hopefully look back and use it as a life lesson for sure.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was just thinking that maybe someday both or one of these kids will become part of SAR and remember their big day as teens on each and every mission.

I'd like to see that happen.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”