State of emergency

Zoso
Übergod

State of emergency

Post by Zoso »

Really? Gellately has been washing out for the last 40 years . The flow varies very little , partially spring fed and by three little creeks . And those feed into zoltans pond which keeps the flow fairly even. This is flat out a case of no maintenance . Btw that is the most contaminated filthy creek around . Two thirds of it come from Shannon lake seepage that flows under the old landfill under the ball diamonds . Back when every carcinogen used to get buried . Fish? No fish . The only fish used to escape out of oldmacdonalds farm. There's no way for them to get farther upstream than the pond. At least now there's going to be a big shwack of free cash to fix the lack of foresite .
Strong and free
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: State of emergency

Post by canadman »

I know someone down on Gellatly. Seems that road is a never ending saga!
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Well I don't know about that. My point was this section has been overlooked , and now we get to act surprised .
Strong and free
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

its a state of emergency because of the road way and how its utilized. as well as a raw sewage pipe was underneath and when you put it a State of Emergency they unlock funds from the government to help them out.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

The sewer line is built well within an angle of repose .
Strong and free
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Zoso wrote:Well I don't know about that. My point was this section has been overlooked , and now we get to act surprised .

So what? does it some how affect you that the district figured out how to get some free money?
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

I'm with the OP on the intent. Why do government's get free rides from the public for things we wouldn't abide by ourselves?

If your neighbour is a slob and his yard, house, etc get worse and worse over the years and then one day... well, one day an episode of Hoarders is filming and the next thing you know the guy comes over to your door and says, "hey man, can you give me some $ so I can clean this **** up? Its an emergency. Really, never saw it coming". You'd just open up your pocket and think, "that's clever"? Of course not. OK, you might pitch in and help on a human level because you understand he has a mental problem (that that's where this analogy breaks down) but really you're not supporting this kind of behavior. So why is it OK for our city to do the same? Just because it happens to benefit us? What about the other tax payers footing the bill?

OP is right*. We should be looking after our own affairs and saving rainy day-funds like this for when we have a real emergency... something really unforeseeable.

Mind you, there is the matter of pointing fingers, right? It was CORD, not DWK, etc etc. But that's kind of beside the point. Bigger point is governments should be held to task and not given passes (or even kudos) because they found a way to manipulate the system.

* note: I'm taking OP's word that this was forseeable. I really don't know anything about the situation.

Return to “Central Okanagan”