Big Plans for Peachland

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Big Plans for Peachland

Post by GordonH »

If we let them built it, someone from somewhere may come live here….

Before anyone gets there hopes up, how well are new home sales in the Central Okanagan anyway.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

GordonH wrote:If we let them built it, someone from somewhere may come live here….

Before anyone gets there hopes up, how well are new home sales in the Central Okanagan anyway.

There are a lot of houses with sold signs on them in Kelowna.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:If we let them built it, someone from somewhere may come live here….

Anonymous123 wrote:There are a lot of houses with sold signs on them in Kelowna.

Okay, now are those new or previously owned houses. Since this new development in Peachland will be new homes.
Last edited by GordonH on May 21st, 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

My in-laws are in a new subdivision as is a friend of mine. New homes selling almost as quick as they can put them up. Don't skip over the bit in the article that mentions it is a long term project with long term vision and goals.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This development is definitely a good thing for Peachland... no question about that. What always makes me curious, is how developers seem to be able to get land released from the ALR, while individuals who want to do so run into so much difficulty and are unable to change the status of their property.
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

how developers seem to be able to get land released from the ALR

This land was never in the ALR, so it was easy!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

That's good. I did see that there were vineyards or something in some of the images of the property. I guess the fact that there is agricultural activity doesn't necessarily mean that the land is in the ALR. Correct? My question still remains though.... how is it that developers seems to be successful at getting land released from the ALR, while individual landowners seem to have great conflict with doing the same thing?
shankari2
Fledgling

Post by shankari2 »

Yes, it was an apple orchard for many years, I do not think wine was grown there. Even after it was sold someone still managed the orchard, not sure if they still are.

Your confusion is okay, I too thought it must have been in the ALR but I learned a long time ago that it never was, and that is probably why it sold so fast when it was put up for sale.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Is it a good thing for Peachland? I mean for starters we already have a huge subdivision project with similar amount of homes planned and a golf course yet it seems to have died with few homes sold and no word on when if ever the golf course will open. Then we have the failed Trepanier project that is supposed to be on the cards again with changes. We have seen a huge increase in new retail and commercial places already in West Kelowna just a few kilometers down the road and it seems for every new business opening there are 2 closing. Way too many empty stores, both old and new. Do we need yet more on the outskirts of a small town a short hop to Westbank that has it all already?
What about the expected rise in traffic movements? We have a new subdivision being put slap bang in the middle of 2 huge bottlenecks. Highway 97 through Peachland is still just 2 lanes and the Westbank couplet is a traffic nightmare yet neither is scheduled for any major changes even though they both badly need some improvements now, not when we have several thousand more cars on that road.
What about the local people who enjoy their summers at the lake. Its currently not a big problem to drive and park (for free) close to the lake and enjoy an hour or a day with friends by the water. It gets pretty crowded during peak season and on long weekends but its still better then most other areas.

Personally i do not think we are going to see that many homes being built and they have said its a 20 year plan but that could stretch to 30 or 40 years. So if you want a new home and you don't mind living in a construction zone for the next 20 years minimum then good luck and like the Upper Mission don't expect any facilities to be built until the majority of homes are up.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I thought Peachland had a water crisis a few years back.

Still true?

And I think it's a terrible thing on that land. Awful. Say good bye to all you treasure about the Okanagan, including the green lands you took for granted, the vistas and what you consider beautiful.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Queen K wrote:I thought Peachland had a water crisis a few years back.

Still true?

And I think it's a terrible thing on that land. Awful. Say good bye to all you treasure about the Okanagan, including the green lands you took for granted, the vistas and what you consider beautiful.

Yep it seems we are not content with turning West Kelowna into a replica of Kelowna we now want to repeat that with Peachland too. More urban sprawl to spoil what is currently a very special town that is admired by all who come.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Will never fly
Strong and free

Return to “Central Okanagan”