Was the RCMP doing their job?

westbankkid
Übergod

Re: Was the RCMP doing their job?

Post by westbankkid »

Fancy wrote:Since we're not privy to the contents of the call and we have no idea what RCMP resources were like at the time, I'll reserve judgment. How many officers were on duty at the time?

2 Days to respond is a bit much no matter how busy they were. Firing guns is a "Priority 1 call" and is put at the top of the pile.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Friday at 1 in the morning to when the RCMP did respond - haven't heard the time frame yet. And certainly don't know what other "Priority 1 call" complaints were made either.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

westbankkid wrote:According to the above story the RCMP were called regarding discharging of firearms and refused to attend. I wonder why?? When they did decide to attend after everything was over Sunday, they found numerous dead birds and a skinned shot beaver. The place looked like the City Dump.
Sounds like someone in authority screwed up>>>

The article states : "Jackson added that she is frustrated her calls to police Friday went unanswered as the partiers were back in full force Saturday"

"her calls went unanswered"

What number did she call ? I suspect it wasn't 911.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.am1150.ca/news/kelowna/2014/ ... lake-lodge
Jackson says police were called out both Friday night and Saturday night, the place was a mess. At one point Jackson spoke about driving down in her car at roughly 1:00am Friday night and passing several (seven) trucks heading up with youth inside, beer cans thrown out the window, yelling, guns being fired once again.

She says she was terrified and just looked straight ahead.

I read another article that stated after passing those trucks she phoned 911 once she got back into cell service.

*bleep*/newsitem/found-amongs ... ty/it10195
I was coming down the mountain between kilometre marker 13 and 12 and there was seven trucks all in a row with guys hanging out the windows with rifles shooting up the bush and throwing beer cans out the window,” she says. “There was someone shooting a handgun from the second vehicle.”

Jackson called 911 when she regained cell service and reported what she saw.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

2 Days to respond is a bit much no matter how busy they were. Firing guns is a "Priority 1 call" and is put at the top of the pile.[/quote]

Firing guns up in the mountains is not any kind of priority
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

dirtguy wrote:Firing guns up in the mountains is not any kind of priority

Well if it is near a camp with family's and also near cabins on the lake, I think this should be a priority 1 call. If you are out in the middle of no where with no one else around fine. But that wasn't the case here. There are many forestry campsites up that way, and nobody should be discharging firearms near any of them.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

meh
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Nice that this matter can be discussed at length in a thread like this. Fact is, if she reported what she saw as has been stated in this thread, and the police failed to respond, she ought to contact the Officer in Charge of the Detachment and lodge a formal complaint for a lack of service. That is the way to get a proper response to her concerns. It is highly unlikely the RCMP are monitoring and reading this discussion forum, so little is being accomplished [via this medium] in terms of finding out exactly what transpired and why there was no police attendance'
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Treblehook wrote:Nice that this matter can be discussed at length in a thread like this. Fact is, if she reported what she saw as has been stated in this thread, and the police failed to respond, she ought to contact the Officer in Charge of the Detachment and lodge a formal complaint for a lack of service. That is the way to get a proper response to her concerns. It is highly unlikely the RCMP are monitoring and reading this discussion forum, so little is being accomplished [via this medium] in terms of finding out exactly what transpired and why there was no police attendance'

Good suggestion. He might be able to shed some light on what went wrong...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

But a paint ball gun in a school parking lot gets all the cops AND the chopper........

So sad ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

MAPearce wrote:But a paint ball gun in a school parking lot gets all the cops AND the chopper........

So sad ..

I assume you mean "what turned out to be a paintball gun". IMO you really have to work hard at being that negative about things. Really!!
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

yaktak wrote: Well if it is near a camp with family's and also near cabins on the lake, I think this should be a priority 1 call. If you are out in the middle of no where with no one else around fine. But that wasn't the case here. There are many forestry campsites up that way, and nobody should be discharging firearms near any of them.

Agreed. This latest story is sadly another reason we won't be camping near Headwaters anymore...

Shame because it's a nice place, but we've encountered other 'yahoos' there in years gone by; sounds like it's getting much worse.
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Our "crack" CHBC investigative reporting team did a piece on this incident last night.

Am I in the minority in wondering why I waste any time watching CHBC for news ?

It is disgusting how the "camper" left the area. That, on a slow news day, is interesting and disturbing, and CHBC reported that.

It is dangerous and criminal that this group was indiscriminately firing firearms throughout the weekend, both during daytime and nighttime, news worthy on any day and CHBC reported that.

It is outrageous that the police (if they) were called and failed to even attend, which is a major story that needs to be told and questions should be asked. Not a peep on CHBC.

Yes, the information details about when and how the police were called and what was said isn't complete, but that would be the first part of a good investigative news story, nailing down those facts. If it turned out the reportee called the wrong number or didn't give the proper information, that's news as well, and explains why no police attended while the suspects were still there ("we have the license number of one of the vehicles....").

But in the 5:00 - 6:00 PM "news" cast we did have the fluff and a hey ! gosling rescue story so it was a successful complete news program.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

This article published yesterday says that 40 person were in:

Authorities are closing in on 40 unruly campers who shot a beaver and songbirds and vandalized Headwaters Lake No. 1 Park near Peachland on the long weekend.

Beck said those responsible could face charges under the Wildlife Act for the beaver, the Migratory Bird Act for the songbirds and criminal charges for destroying the gate.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Skinned ... story.html
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Anyone remembers the May Long Weekend pillage at Spring Lake - in Peachland - two years ago? Some similarities, isn't there? Same age group, pickup trucks, garbages, fires, alcohol etc...

Return to “Central Okanagan”