Rats in Glenrosa

Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Rats in Glenrosa

Post by Catz »

Ewwww...ewww....ewwww.

I can handle a lot of things, but this guy is huge! If there is one, there are more. He is sneaking in between the fence and neighbours yard. How do I get rid of them?

Thanx
samsquench07
Übergod

Re: Rats in Glenrosa

Post by samsquench07 »

We live across the creek from glenrosa, in westbank, and we had rats a few years ago.
They were tough to catch, cause their smart and don't like new things (like new traps)
I finally put a few traps against the wall, and thru a bunch of those rain forest chips all over (traps included)

They say they are territorial, so you won't have other mice, rats etc, beside the family, but if they get a chance to multiply thru birth that could be trouble (and they multiply fast ive heard)

Plus they wreck things, eat wires. Funny but not funny story, 3 years later im still dealing with the rat aftermath. 3 years later. and all of a sudden bugs where appearing everywhere in the corner of the house. I ripped the drywall out, and dog food fell out everywhere. The rats must have brought it during that time, and the dog food was left behind rotting, making carpet bugs or somethings. A pain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

yup....found a baby....in my dogs mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Rats are all over - they like bird seed, berries on the vine and dog food.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

We have seen them on our property near town center. With all of the orchards near by it is no surprise. Plus we have neighbours that leave cat and dog food out. Plus the crop of sunflowers we grew this year. I could hear them one night chewing on the seeds. I will be putting traps out, don't need them moving into the house!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

My dogs go after them. It hard to keep them away when people do leave food out, etc. I can handle a mouse, but these look ucky.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I set a couple of traps and within a couple of hours I caught myself a rat. He was residing in my firewood pile.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Made their way to my place as well (just off of Weber). My dogs go crazy so besides the obvious reasons to get rid of them, it's got the added bonus of driving me and my neighbors nuts hahaha. I put out a couple traps, food was surgically removed and trap un-sprung! Smart little buggers... If that's the way they want it, fine. Out comes the bazooka! Okay, maybe it's a better trap - but I wish it was a bazooka.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

nextimeround wrote:Made their way to my place as well (just off of Weber). My dogs go crazy so besides the obvious reasons to get rid of them, it's got the added bonus of driving me and my neighbors nuts hahaha. I put out a couple traps, food was surgically removed and trap un-sprung! Smart little buggers... If that's the way they want it, fine. Out comes the bazooka! Okay, maybe it's a better trap - but I wish it was a bazooka.

They are very clever! I have caught two and since then they have avoided getting trapped. One of them flipped the trap over.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

They are so smart...my dog was out front for 5 min today and caught another one. They are all over!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I caught a third one. My neighbour is setting traps now!
AwakeFromDreamland
Fledgling

Post by AwakeFromDreamland »

Interesting just how smart they really are. With a sense of empathy too perhaps..
A 2011 controlled study found that rats are actively prosocial. They demonstrate altruistic behaviour to other rats in experiments, including freeing them from cages. When presented with readily available chocolate chips, test subjects would first free the caged rat, and then share the food. All female rats in the study displayed this behaviour, while 30% of the males did not.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat
Endocannabinoid system "We are all born with a form of marijuana already in our bodies." "Cannabis kills cancer cells,people are not aware of that,they think cancer/cannabis - anti nausea.It's waay beyond that." Dr.Robert Melamede phD
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm downtown Kelowna and a neighbour a few doors found rats a few days ago. They have crossed the bridge!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

jennylives wrote:I'm downtown Kelowna and a neighbour a few doors found rats a few days ago. They have crossed the bridge!

We live trap them on the Westside and release them on the other side of the bridge. You're welcome! :o)~

Return to “Central Okanagan”