Is it a good time to sell one's home?

youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Is it a good time to sell one's home?

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

Thinking of moving to Penticton from West Kelowna. Seems like a good time to sell as there have been a lot of SOLD signs going up in my neighborhood which is down the street from Two Eagles Golf Course.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: What do you think, is it a good time to sell one's home?

Post by Hmmm »

youhavegottobekidding wrote:Thinking of moving to Penticton from West Kelowna. Seems like a good time to sell as there have been a lot of SOLD signs going up in my neighborhood which is down the street from Two Eagles Golf Course.

The answer to your question is, when someone wants to buys it. Why not put it up for sale at the price its worth and see if you sell it?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

according to everything I read the sales of homes are up near 30% from last year. Wonder what is up with that? Doesn't seem that the economy has improved that much.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

According to real estate its always a good time to sell, or buy for that matter. You have to do your own homework first. Then, if you do want to use a real estate agent, check several out. Find out if the commission is negotiable. Some companies charge less commission. Find out where the commission structure is different then the regular 7%/3%. You can always try to sell it yourself. And, if you did your homework, and its priced right, it may be easier then you think.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Probably only if you intend on buying another home.
Strong and free
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Really - if you are planning to buy and sell into the same market it doesn't matter what state the market is in.

Sellers market - you'll have to pay more for new house, but old house will sell for more.
Buyers market - you'll get a good deal on the new house, but old house won't sell for as much as you'd like.

The state of the market only matters if you are moving between markets or if there will be a significant amount of time between selling and buying.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Best time is when you want to move, or dislike where you live at that time. Moving for the sake of moving because "maybe the market is right" feels silly to me. I've been where I am for 13 years and am quite happy still, there was an opportunity for a change once that never met the right conditions to be worth it so it didn't happen. Since then our neighborhood has become an even more ideal place to be so happy.

As previously stated if staying in the same market the value become a personal one not a financial one.

HOWEVER if you were moving to Alberta or somewhere else, you may desire to evaluate the changes in both markets to time your change that would be the most ideal.

Also lets say your neighborhood was becoming a drug den and you needed to move to feel better that can be worth the added investment as well. The situation will always matter.
sislonski

Post by sislonski »

It's only a good time to sell if there are a lot of choices of places to buy in the area you are interested in.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

I guess it was a good time to sell cause after 2 days on KIJIJI the home sold. Amazing. Nice family of 6 moving to BC from Edmonton.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Is it a good time to sell one's home?

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe you didn't ask enough? Saved a bunch on realtor fees though if you sold it yourself.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Yes I saved approx. $17,000 on those ridiculous real estate commissions. I believe it was listed at the right price that is why it sold so quickly. I wanted to SELL it not hang on to it so I can move forward.
sislonski

Post by sislonski »

Good for you, glad you were able to sell. Good luck in your new home.

Return to “Central Okanagan”