WK Council candidates

jon peter christoff

Re: WK Council candidates

Post by jon peter christoff »

May I suggest those interested watch the June 24th podcast of council's regular meeting and listen to the Transportation consultant/staff member. Councillor Milnes and De Jong were the only two who were pressing the consultant for clarity while others were willing to accept out-of-hand the word of the consultant, though after the point was pushed caved.

Yes our staff are high-priced and skilled, but that doesn't make them right all the time, administration staff have a tendency to be like water, flowing towards the easiest route.

Sometimes staff is right on and sometimes they are not, the is the job of council is to recommend when they are and correct when they are not.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

jon peter christoff wrote: the job of council is to recommend when they are and correct when they are not.

It occurs to me Mr. Christoff that you ought to take yourself out of running and return to the work force to learn all areas that council must depend on for clarification, facts and reports because you need much more specialization than what you have to be able to tell staff and consultants when they are correct or NOT when staff and consultants are hired for their expertise in specific areas. I am NOT slamming you in any manner but your logic simply does not add up.
jon peter christoff

It occurs to me Mr. Christoff that you ought to take yourself out of running and return to the work force to learn all areas that council must depend on for clarification, facts and reports because you need much more specialization than what you have to be able to tell staff and consultants when they are correct or NOT when staff and consultants are hired for their expertise in specific areas. I am NOT slamming you in any manner but your logic simply does not add up.[/quote]

I'm still in the work force and have dealt with architects, engineers, accountants, lawyers and consultants for over 35 years and found that professional services are very much like plumbers....there are good ones and there are bad ones.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

jon peter christoff wrote:dealt with architects, engineers, accountants, lawyers and consultants for over 35 years and found that professional services are very much like plumbers....there are good ones and there are bad ones.

Me too! I was in the work force for over 30 years. I dealt with many more professional labels than that that you have listed and in depth because it was usually because one of them was being sued and we had either to prove they were right or wrong and boy oh boy oh boy being IN the workforce won't cut it.

Subjective opinions do not cut the bad from the good It is like this "you can fool some of the people some of the time."
jon peter christoff

I have been intimately involved in 5 year shareholder lawsuit which I won. I too am very familiar with these unpleasant experience. And found poor professional service is very costly.

Your "subjective" comment reminded me of my readings of the German philosopher Kierkegaard: "objectivity is just collective subjectivity".
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Another thing is why would one get into public office. the BS that you have to deal with everyday does not sound like a fun job. Almost wont wish anyone not even my enemies to public office.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

[quote="jon peter christoff"] German philosopher Kierkegaard: "objectivity is just collective subjectivity".

German Philosopher, Friedrick Nietzsche, thought otherwise. You gotta be careful when speaking politically to folks cause some of them read to.
jon peter christoff

Well I'm pleased you read, I'm a real advocate for literacy, but did you comprehend?

Nietzsche opinion about the singularity of objectivity..."That we should think there is only one right way of considering a matter is only evident that we have become inflexible. A healthy mind is flexible and recognizes there are many different ways of considering a matter."
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Is that any way for a person wanting to sit at the council table to talk to a voter.
T. Rawlin
Fledgling

Post by T. Rawlin »

waterwings wrote:Is that any way for a person wanting to sit at the council table to talk to a voter.

Quoting Nietzsche and Kierkegaard? I doubt anyone at the current council table has spent much time reading either of those two.

DWK already suffers from a surplus of bland and inoffensive politicians, who are also largely incapable and ineffectual. Why would you want even more of them, and why would you try to disqualify anyone who doesn't kiss your hindquarters?

While there is little benefit from having uninformed contrarians like the first mayor, DWK could use someone with a bit of fire.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Rosalind has such fire. A little rough sometimes but she has bigger cajones than anyone seated there now.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

"If you believe that due diligence has not been done then call city hall and ask the questions instead of putting a cart before the horse. If the answers you get do not add up then one would have a critical critique to spread" - waterwings

Water Wings must live in a fantasy land if he/she believes that questions asked of City Hall are answered fully.

1. If staff knows the answer...great.
2. If staff don't have the answer to the question they might be too busy to search out the answer....not so great
3. If staff have been told the answer to a question that they should give...not great
4. If we can't tell the difference between 1 & 3 ....tough.

Basically if due diligence has not been done...why do you think City Hall staff would risk shopping one of their own?
And no! I am not a cynic.....just a realist.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

It has come to my attention that some incumbents are accepting donations for their campaigns outside of the period when municipal legislation says they must disclose and report such donations, and that the donations may put them in conflict of interest viz. the development of the new "city hall" which the current council is pushing so unseemily hard and fast. What have others heard and/or know?
jon peter christoff

Interesting! Am I reading your post right, - that supporters of the Westbank location for a new civic hall are already marshalling ($$$) behind candidates who support their wishes?

Over the years since incorporation I have always wondered if Westbank had gotten the new medical center built, or won the province's agreement to change the couplet, would this have helped Westbank-supporters be a little more inclusive with their thinking?

Though I voted to call our District "Westside" (because "Westside" was always the common reference-name for the entire area, by those of us that lived here), I sometimes wish Westbank had won the naming referendum so that Westbank supporters would stop being so insecure and begin to see DWK is not only Westbank.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Rumours may be malicious, but this one appears to have some legs from what I've heard; that some members of council who may be candidates for re-election in November are accepting early campaign donations from the development community that will therefore fly under the radar of municipal election legislation. That is, not be reported, disclosed, etc. I'd like to think that such a thing is not true of any of our council members, but . . . that's the word going around.

Return to “Central Okanagan”