Power pole split in two

my5cents
Guru

Re: Power pole split in two

Post by my5cents »

dogspoiler wrote:I think that it's fine that she swerved to miss the marmot. I also think it would be fine for her to take full financial responsibility for the damages.

Oh, she (her insurance) will be liable for the damages to the pole and any resulting damage (power surge to appliances to nearby homes etc)

Don't forget the added premium (likely) for car insurance. Unless this was a "freebie" (the one liable claim that ICBC doesn't raise your rates for if you have a clean claims history for a given period of time) it will cost.

It's a very difficult to not instinctively swerve when something jumps out in front of you.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Pigeons, rats, marmots, dogs, kittens, hamsters, and guinea pigs - sorry, but y'all road pizza if it comes down to me swerving or hitting you.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

zzontar wrote:This scenario could happen easily even if she was going the speed limit.

I suppose it could. But at 50kph on dry pavement? And breaking a power pole in half? It looks like she launched and hit the pole fairly high up, but it could just be the camera angle. Who knows.
I birn quil I se
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Bob, don't jump out in front of me. I'm not sure my reflexes would be quick enough to miss you.

But then I guess I could stop and watch your legs twitch. That might be fun.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

i g'schmucked a skunk one time.

...i think i'll try to miss the next one.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
southernfrau
Board Meister

Post by southernfrau »

Well, I have hit a marmot and it went thump thump under my tire and I literally had my front end move upward as I went over it. My kids to this day and they are now adults have not let me live it down. They threatened to draw one on the car and put an X through it, then I hit a snake - the popping noise was not nice. Again they threatened the X. Would I hit one again, if I could safely avoid it fine, but when it comes down to it. I'd probably run over whatever again. I always say they are committing hari kari and that's how they want to go out. Sorry, my take on it. Been there. It's not a human that I would swerve for.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

I get out of my car and say a few words every time a bug hits my windshield. a life is a life......hold on a minute, we're talking about a rodent
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I'm thinking we all know not to swerve to avoid an animal but I'm also thinking the brain reacts before you know it.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

This accident most likely results from an inexperienced driver; perhaps traveling to fast and who "may have" swerved to avoid hitting a rodent and then over corrected, resulting in a loss of control. At any rate, my guess is the root cause was inexperience. It is amazing the number of single vehicle accidents that are claimed to be as a result of drivers "avoiding dogs, cats and wild animals on the road. Drivers who are not paying attention or "distracted drivers" also frequently find themselves off road and/or in collisions.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

and people who are staring at their phone instead of the road have a very convenient excuse.....I swerved to avoid a dog instead of I was texting my friend

Return to “Central Okanagan”