Power pole split in two

HeavyHauler
Fledgling

Power pole split in two

Post by HeavyHauler »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118147

A female driver swerved to avoid hitting a marmot on Shannon Lake Road near the corner of Bartley Road Saturday afternoon, she lost control and smashed into a power pole. The force of the impact caused the pole to split into two sections.

The power was out to hundreds of homes from Shannon Lake to Rose Valley. For some BC Hydro customers it was only out a few seconds, for others, it was out for approximately 30 minutes.

There could be more power interruptions while BC Hydro replaces the pole.

The West Kelowna Fire Department says there are no reports of any injuries.

Shannon Lake Road is closed near Bartley Road while the crews work on the pole.

More details to follow.

Okay......

Is the Marmot okay?

COME ON PEOPLE! It's a bloody marmot! This woman could have been seriously injured if not killed. Imagine if someone had been going for a stroll at that exact moment, and was on the curb at that very moment, or if the pole broke in half, and energized the entire ground around the vehicle.

*bleep* are people thinking these days? Run over the marmot and reduce the risk of the loss of HUMAN life.
Lore
Übergod

Re: Power pole split in two

Post by Lore »

I would have done the same thing as her.
If an animal runs in front of your car your not going to have time to think your just going to react.
Not wanting to kill an animal I would swerve.
Hope the marmots ok.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

My partner and I we're talking about this the other night. I would swerve too.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Triple 6 wrote:My partner and I we're talking about this the other night. I would swerve too.

As would I.
I even slow down for bugs.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
sislonski

Post by sislonski »

While I agree, it's just a marmot, I also think it's a natural reaction to swerve when something jumps out in front of you. which is exactly why we should all travel the speed limits, that's what they're there for. So you have enough time to stop in case of any kind of an emergency or accident. When you have a split second to think about stopping you don't always stop to think, is it a kid or a marmot jumping out in front of me. \

Now had I known it was a marmot or squirrel, yeah, I would have slowed down but usually I look in my review mirror first, I won't slam on my break for a rodent if someone is behind me. I don't really want a broken neck, even if it is there fault for following too close. But I will slow down if possible.

I've travelled the highways so much in the last few years that, killing rodents comes easier now. I still hold my breath and hope for the best, but I don't even slow down. Then again I always try stay within the speed limit, within a reasonable amount LOL!
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...not quite "swerving" but thoughts of protecting animals over public safety had a very steep cost in this situation:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... crash.html
...the ruling in this was just finalized last week in Montreal - tragic...it is however, inherent in most people to do what we can to avoid hitting another living thing - a natural reaction behind the wheel if the situation permits...came to a complete stop myself the other day on a side road to permit a couple of quail to safely cross...would I do that on a busy multi-lane highway? - sorry, but there'd be some fresh quail on someone's table...the despicable, cycnical side of me does wonder however, was the "marmot" maybe just a convenient and plausible excuse?...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Well I've had a jackrabbit jump out in front of me at night, timing was such that I knew in a split second if I took evasive action I'd wreck so I kept the wheel straight.

Humans over wildlife.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Not saying that's what happened here, but concentrating on the road and reasonable speed are things that seem to be missed a lot these days. A surprise doesn't allow you enough time to properly react if you're not paying attention or going too fast.
I birn quil I se
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Triple 6 wrote:My partner and I we're talking about this the other night. I would swerve too.

Would you do it if it was a rat?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BoB76 wrote:Would you do it if it was a rat?

Bob I'm pretty sure if Triple 6 has a chance to run you over she will do it gladly.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Firstly, how dare anyone suggest the life of a marmot isn't every bit as important as the life of a dog. For shame!

Secondly, was this a marmot, or an iMarmot?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Randall T wrote:Not saying that's what happened here, but concentrating on the road and reasonable speed are things that seem to be missed a lot these days. A surprise doesn't allow you enough time to properly react if you're not paying attention or going too fast.

This scenario could happen easily even if she was going the speed limit.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Marmots are rodents and make a mess. Why would you cost yourself thousands of dollars in vehicle repairs to save a rodent? She must have been high! I've swerved to hit cats even! It's weird how their tail kinds wags from all the nerves twitching.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I think marmots like to mess with people. Chasing and stealing golf balls, running in front of cars, stuff like that. Maybe they are just bored with their lazy marmot lives. The little guy probably ran toward the pole knowing full well most people fixate on the hazard.
I birn quil I se
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I think that it's fine that she swerved to miss the marmot. I also think it would be fine for her to take full financial responsibility for the damages.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”