Shannon Lake pond, and big cement thing

Omnitheo
Guru

Shannon Lake pond, and big cement thing

Post by Omnitheo »

Just curious about something. When I was young, i lived on Sagebrush Crt, near the top of Shannon Way. There used to be a pond there, with a wooded area and several trails. I spent a considerable amount of my childhood playing here, catching frogs and turtles, birdwatching, climbing trees and making out with girls on the rockface. In my later school years I often returned to the area to check it out. Unfortunately the pond began it's decline in the early 2000's, and upon each visit was smaller and smaller, until eventually the pond had altogether dried up, and the area now appears to be entirely developed over.

There was also a big cement reservoir thing. We would often climb on top of this and throw airplanes off of it, or just look out towards the town as it offered a nice view. I could often hear water running inside this thing.

Now, just wondering, Was this cement thing connected to the pond? was it draining the pond? It seems to me like the city was just waiting for the pond to dry up so that the entire area could be developed. It's a real shame that today's residents of Shannon Lake don't have this wonderful park area to enjoy anymore.

Does anyone know the story of this? or the purpose behind the concrete reservoir?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
matai
Banned

Re: Shannon Lake pond, and big cement thing

Post by matai »

Omnitheo wrote:Just curious about something. When I was young, climbing trees and making out with girls on the rockface. s

Yes that sucks. People will have to find another spot to make out with girls.
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to live up there in the early 90s. I would walk my dog twice a day around the ponds and trails - it was beautiful. I'm not really sure why the pond dried up, however I did hear about the big cement thing. Not sure if it's correct or not, but one of the people that lived near it, told me it was when Shannon Lake's original development (Sagebrush, shannon way, Sunset, Sundance, Westville) drew their water from Shannon Lake itself. When I moved there, I know we had recently been connected to Lakeview Heights Irrigation. So I believe it was a water reservoir from Shannon Lake originally. Hope this helps you out a little.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Yes that sucks. People will have to find another spot to make out with girls.

heh, plenty of other good spots for that. Certainly not the main concern about the loss of the pond though.

@Sassybee, good to know about the reservoir, that sounds pretty likely.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I had forgotten about the pond. I remember it was kinda swampy at some parts of the shore. I don't remember the concrete structure you're talking about though. It must have been there, I just don't recall seeing it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I totally remember both the pond and cement thing. I don't know but that pond seemed like a pretty healthy little eco system. Plenty of frogs, birds and salamanders in there. I used to go bike riding all the time. Grew up on Sundance Dr.

I really thing there was human causes that led to the demise of that area and it is too bad. I think they had development plans for the area for a while and 'made it happen'.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Early 90's we used to play hockey on that little pond.
Buddy had access to the wrenches and hoses required to open the fire hydrant valve to flood a better rink.
He also had access to lights and a generator, but if I remember correctly we mostly skated on weekends as the kids were in elementary school.
I didn't even know the reservoir was gone now?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Boda wrote:Early 90's we used to play hockey on that little pond.
Buddy had access to the wrenches and hoses required to open the fire hydrant valve to flood a better rink.
He also had access to lights and a generator, but if I remember correctly we mostly skated on weekends as the kids were in elementary school.

They paved paradise, but put up more than a parking lot :(
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Boda wrote:Early 90's we used to play hockey on that little pond.

i remember those hockey nets being on the pond!

Return to “Central Okanagan”