Accident on 97C

Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Accident on 97C

Post by Swoop »

Midnite wrote:As both vehicles were westbound, lane dividers should be a non issue. Possibly difference in speed was an issue if pick up rear ended the slower moving commercial vehicle. Similar to the 2 semis colliding on the Richter pass recently. Misjudged closing speed?

...^^this...the update notes the commercial vehicle was on a downhill slope - they tend to go slow...assuming the pick up driver misjudged the closing speed...Unfortunately, it's also noted the 75 year old pick up driver has succumbed to his injuries...

A 75-year-old male is dead following a crash on Hwy. 97C yesterday afternoon.

At 3:45 p.m. RCMP from the Central Interior Traffic Services unit Merritt, B.C. Ambulance and Merritt Fire Rescue attended to the report of a two vehicle collision on Highway 97C in the west bound lanes on the Loon Lake Hill, west of the Elkhart brake check.

Early investigation has determined that a west bound pickup truck with one male occupant ran into the rear of a west bound commercial vehicle proceeding down a grade on the Loon Lake hill. Both vehicles were moving when the collision occurred.

The 75-year-old driver of the pickup truck, who lives in the BC Interior, was extricated and transported to Kelowna General Hospital by BC Air Ambulance where he succumbed to his injuries.

There were no injuries to the driver of the commercial vehicle.

Roads were bare and dry at the time of the collision. Visibility was clear and unobstructed.

The RCMP is now assisting the BC Coroners Service with this investigation.

The RCMP are asking if you witnessed this collision and have not spoken to a police officer, please contact; Constable Tammy Denning of the Central Interior Traffic Services Unit in Merritt @ 250-378-4262.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

matai wrote:If any of you criticizers had a brain, you would have noticed the article was updated this morning, and i wrote my post yesterday.

So you make false assumptions and it is someone else's fault? Perhaps you shouldn't have posted until better informed.
Are you sure there is no dividers? Why do others claim the highway is divided?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dividers won't make any difference when you run into the back of another vehicle. He didn't cross over into oncoming traffic in the first place.

Unfortunately it cost him his life. R.I.P.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Bsuds wrote:Dividers won't make any difference when you run into the back of another vehicle. He didn't cross over into oncoming traffic in the first place.

Unfortunately it cost him his life. R.I.P.

Exactly!! The OP is blaming the lack of dividers, speed and better informed posters. Nowhere were lack of dividers or speed blamed. It seems the OP has an agenda (against ?) and does not want facts to interfere.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

eMeM wrote:Does anyone really believe that a 10 kp/h increase is to blame for an accident?
As I typed that question out I knew the answer but I'm still dumbfounded as to how people honestly believe that.

Decades of brainwashing propaganda is very effective on some people.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

We were eastbound on the Connector and happened on this accident approximately three minutes after it happened. I know this from speaking with the few people who were at the scene.
I drive the Connector anywhere from two to four times per week, every week in all conditions. I write that as a point of reference.
This tragic accident that was entirely preventable short of the driver having a medical issue, was not as a result of the speed limit[i][/i]. It was a result of his speed relative[i][/i] to the object that he hit, and the mass of the object that he hit relative to the mass of the object he was in.
Driver attention and common sense are sorely missing with far too many drivers these days.
People need to concentrate on driving, nothing else. Constantly scan mirrors, look far ahead as well as medium and short distance. Gauge other's speed relative to your own, this applies to vehicles you are approaching as well as vehicles coming from behind before you pull out (to pass). Learn to read what other vehicles are going to do, drive defensively, have excellent situational awareness.
My condolences to the family of the deceased, the driver of the Super B that was struck and the people that had to witness this tragedy.

Return to “Central Okanagan”