Gellatley improvements

Bettyb
Fledgling

Gellatley improvements

Post by Bettyb »

Gellatly upgrade
The new plan is out for the next phase, they are proposing a one way on Angus Drive that means everybody has to use the south entrance, in the winter everybody avoids this route because of the grade coming down to Gellatly. If this is approved there will be accidents, sometimes this road is not maintained for days at a time in the winter, the round about should go up by Macdonalds not down at the bottom there never seems to be a traffic problem at the bottom
Wave101
Fledgling

Re: Gellatley improvements

Post by Wave101 »

Not sure what you are talking about. The grade of Angus Road is very gentle coming down to the south entrance of Gellatly.
If it is Gellatly road itself that you are complaining about, it is being redesigned and rebuilt and will be a much safer descent when it is complete. Besides, you can always take Gellatly in the other direction to Glenrosa or take Boucherie if you feel the road is unsafe in the winter.
hotrocket
Fledgling

Post by hotrocket »

I totally agree. Perhaps Wave101 has not driven the full length of angus rd. It is not a gentle grade at all coming down the far side closest to the yacht club. Horrible rd, steep and a totally stupid idea if you ask me. Poor planning seems to be a fairly consistent thing when it comes to the DWK.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Snow would be an issue for what, one maybe two days a year? I live quite a bit higher and snow doesn't tend to last long. Proper tires and slip your transmission into low and you'll be fine. Can't imagine too much traffic to avoid in winter months so if you only have to drive the winter conditions and not worry about other motorists than much of the worry is eliminated. I don't see the big picture for turning Angus into a one way other than maybe too much traffic on Angus in the summer from lake users shortcutting? Maybe Angus residents are complaining about this and this is the districts solution? Careful what you ask for.
Bettyb
Fledgling

Post by Bettyb »

Yes, if this proposal moves forward its going to be a real problem. I hope the council and engineers can live with the fact they approved something that will certainly cause accidents. Don't forget this is coming from people that stated they were caught off guard by the washout on Gellatly, anybody with a bit of common sense would have taken action sooner. that problem was there when we moved to the area 15 yrs ago, back then it would have been an easy fix and far less expensive. I suggest everybody go on the DWK website and fill out the survey for the new proposal, a oneway on Angus is a recipe for for accidents and personal injury
Bettyb
Fledgling

Post by Bettyb »

the comment about the winter road conditions are not true, Angus can go for days in the winter without maintenance, everybody that lives there tries to avoid the south entrance, it becomes a sheet of ice and I don't care what kind of vehicle or tires you have it is almost impossible to use
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Winter Conditions? Try snow tires. They do work. They can be utilised in winter conditions wherever you travel, not only on Angus.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Oh! I forgot to mention - engaging a low gear before entering the downgrade works wonders for stability, too.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Bettyb wrote:the comment about the winter road conditions are not true, Angus can go for days in the winter without maintenance, without everybody that lives there tries to avoid the south entrance, it becomes a sheet of ice and I don't care what kind of vehicle or tires you have it is almost impossible to use

You have to endure the rigours of winter on Angus just as we mortals do on other residential streets - days (and weeks) before we see some effort to improve driving conditions. Do you have a sense of entitlement that others are denied?
Bettyb
Fledgling

Post by Bettyb »

Glad to see all the people who know so much about driving the south entrance on Angus, I bet none of them actually live on Angus
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Bettyb wrote:Glad to see all the people who know so much about driving the south entrance on Angus, I bet none of them actually live on Angus

Oh! I do detect a sense of entitlement here! One cannot address the topic unless one lives on Angus!

Return to “Central Okanagan”