Poor design at Elliott Road

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Poor design at Elliott road

Post by oneh2obabe »

Is it a matter of life and death if you don't have a designated right turn lane? Don't see the problem with having to wait in order to turn right onto Dobbin (Hwy. 97) if there are vehicles in front of you going straight through. If you're really in a rush and can't wait a couple of minutes to make your turn you can always use Brown, Hoskins or Old Okanagan Hwy.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

oneh2obabe wrote:Is it a matter of life and death if you don't have a designated right turn lane? Don't see the problem with having to wait in order to turn right onto Dobbin (Hwy. 97) if there are vehicles in front of you going straight through. If you're really in a rush and can't wait a couple of minutes to make your turn you can always use Brown, Hoskins or Old Okanagan Hwy.

I use the intersection almost every day. With the widening they did...not at the highway but Elliott Rd., it really is a huge waste of space. Where a car could be going strait, they have that all yellowed out. So you have the gas station with their own lane then merge to one lane to get to save on and the school. When coming out, only 5 cars can sit there now, and traffic is backed up into parking lots. If they left it at the 2 lanes, traffic would move WAY better. IMO, after living here since 2001, this is a nightmare.
They have made it so hard to get in and out of that shopping area, and eventually I think people will say to heck with it and go else where to shop. They could lose buisness.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

oneh2obabe wrote:Is it a matter of life and death if you don't have a designated right turn lane? Don't see the problem with having to wait in order to turn right onto Dobbin (Hwy. 97) if there are vehicles in front of you going straight through. If you're really in a rush and can't wait a couple of minutes to make your turn you can always use Brown, Hoskins or Old Okanagan Hwy.
My wife and I drove through there today and we agree with you. There really is no problem. Yes, someone might have to wait for a few seconds if they're turning right and if the car in front of them is going straight but so what? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that extra space needed for the buses? Anyway, if it's a problem at all it's definitely a First World problem.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I don't think so on the the side I am thinking of. Between the 2 one ways, yes, but not on the other...ie gas station. I wish I knew the names better.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Catz wrote:I don't think so on the the side I am thinking of. Between the 2 one ways, yes, but not on the other...ie gas station. I wish I knew the names better.
That's okay. I know where you mean. Once the barricades come down (next week?) I guess it will all become clear.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I drove through there again today and I have to agree that there would have been room there for a right hand turn lane. Maybe someone from DWK who reads these forums could let us know why there isn't one. Not that it bothers me. Just curious.

And here's an observation (not a criticism): How is Elliott Rd. spelled? Now I spell it the way the OP did - Elliott. I spell it that way because the street signs always had two t's at the end (and we've lived here for decades). Some years ago I noticed a new street sign go up with "Elliot" and now with this new project Elliot(t) is again being spelled with one t.

Years ago I talked to one of the pioneers in the area and she said that Elliott Rd was named after a fellow who was buried in the Westbank Cemetery. Shortly after that conversation I dropped by the cemetery and had a look at the gravestones and found one with the name "Elliot" on it. One t.

Anyway, it's not a big deal but since the road was named to honour a fellow named Elliot(t) it seems to me that all the signs should have his name spelled correctly. And if nothing else they should probably all be one way or the other. Now, this doesn't even rate as a First World problem. It's not a problem at all but it is an observation.
westbankkid
Übergod

Re: Poor design at Elliott Road

Post by westbankkid »

It is a STUPID design no matter which way you slice it. Most traffic designers for Cities are a brick short of a load at the best of times.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Re: Poor design at Elliott Road

Post by nikonfan »

For traffic flow it is a stupid design but if the same knuckleheads designed Elliott that did Boucherie than we can understand it. 2 million bucks and zero increase in capacity and worse in the winter. Brilliant! I really don't understand why all this lipstick on a pig? That area is dead, no new businesses, no incentive for new businesses and a bunch of empty derelict buildings. It would have been best to pool all the money they spent for Brown and Elliott and get rid of one completely and overpass the other so we can can drive through that ugliness and get to Peachland quicker. What a useless bottleneck for nothing.

Return to “Central Okanagan”