Poor design at Elliott Road

ellenbill

Poor design at Elliott Road

Post by ellenbill »

Have you noticed the right turn lane has been eliminated coming out of save on Elliott onto hwy. 97. Rather dumb planning in my view!
Frisk
Guru

Re: Poor design at Elliott road

Post by Frisk »

Yes! I was very confused by that yesterday!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

makes it safer for people coming down the hill and some jack pulling a right and semi truck then has to slam on his brakes...

Happens to me all the time going hwy 97 to kelowna and some guy pops infront of me off Gallatly and I have to slam on the brakes while im doning 50 give me a break!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
ellenbill

Post by ellenbill »

So I take it you never turn right on a red when safe to do so? Seems to me that would hold up others that wish to do so!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My bad I've deleted this post.
Last edited by GordonH on Aug 21st, 2014, 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I think what they did there is rediculous! There is no reason to not have a rt lane and a straight lane .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catz wrote:I think what they did there is rediculous! There is no reason to not have a rt lane and a straight lane .

I would agree, some of the decision/choices made by MOTI (and City councils/planning Dept) can be baffling.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

GordonH wrote:How I don't travel thru Westbank very often, a right off Elliot Rd the traffic on Hwy 97 is on up grade not a down grade.

Just to familiarize everyone here is google map link to the intersection. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Elliot ... 85ca?hl=en

Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong but the traffic on 97 is coming downhill where it crosses Elliot. The OP mentioned coming out of Save On which would mean Elliot and Dobbin.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Main st. = Hwy 97 headed south
Dobbin rd. = Hwy. 97 headed north.
Black Dogs Matter
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

dogspoiler wrote:Main st. = Hwy 97 headed south
Dobbin rd. = Hwy. 97 headed north.

Agreed. And since this thread is about the intersection at Elliot and Dobbin the traffic on 97 (Dobbin) would be coming downhill at Elliot.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Not to mention that it took 5 months to do that 1/2 block of work. Rome was not built in a day but I'm sure it was faster!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

To deviate slightly off thread topic the Westlake Rd improvements are coming close to an end (well apart from the middle bit that is ongoing till October) and after months of redesign and re tarmac i notice that at the top where Westlake meets the highway the original road has worn badly due to weight of traffic yet they have stopped short of putting new black top at that last 20 ft and they have also not put in a right turn lane so when the traffic backs up from the lights as it does at rush hour people wanting to take the right have to wait in line whereas before most used to drive over the dirt to get around the line up now that's not going to happen due to the new sidewalk. Surely there was ample room here to add a few extra feet and make left turn, straight through and a right lane?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

yes i do right turns but on that hill people turning right usually do that at the last second. also they probably took that right lane turn for the buses to not have to contend with the people turning right off the light so they can saftly turn left because of their length.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

and if you want to turn right...go to brown road.
ellenbill

Post by ellenbill »

Your right.you could go to brown road but there is room to put in a right turn lane.Its not just the traffic from the shopping centre that uses Elliott north bound.
People are now cutting thru the chevron station to make their right turn. That's not kosher!
I think your missing the whole point. It's just poor traffic engineering by the district of west kelowna.

Return to “Central Okanagan”